This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawstrings and accidental discharges

"In June 2012, one of the local Task Force Officers assigned to our office was participating in firearms training at the range with that departmentís issued pistol and ammunition. The officer was using a .40 S&W caliber SIG P229 DAK, the same model HSI agents are issued. The ammunition was department issued Federal Premium 180 Grain HST. The holster utilized was a right-handed Blackhawk Serpa CQC concealment paddle-style. The officer was wearing a light weight wet weather jacket due to rainy conditions on that day.

After having fired several rounds during the course of fire, the officer was in the process of holstering when the pistol discharged through the open portion of the bottom of the holster. The round entered the outside of the right upper calf and exited the outside of the lower calf and was stopped by the ground (grass/dirt surface). The round did not strike any bone or the ankle or foot. There was not excessive bleeding and it was later found that there was no serious nerve damage. The officer is expected to make a full recovery.

Once first aid was rendered and EMTís had arrived at the scene, an examination of the pistol in the holster revealed that the trigger was depressed to the rear of the trigger guard (see photograph below). A plastic cylinder-shaped draw cord adjuster attached to the wet weather jacket the officer was wearing was lodged against the front of the trigger. The plastic draw cord adjuster had become caught inside of the trigger guard during the holstering of the pistol.

It should be noted that this type of draw cord adjuster is the type commonly found on many jackets. The one that became lodged was for the side/waist adjustment cord.

Just a reminder to trainers and shooters. We train to keep our eyes up on threat when holstering. When holstering with this type of clothing and using the support hand to clear the holster, ensure that the support hand doesnít get covered by the muzzle. Keep the support hand and clothing well above the top of the holster and bring the pistol in below them."

www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Ouch! I have heard of that before, maybe from you. It's just one of those things you don't really think about until it happens. I always use my free hand to clear the clothing to re-holster, that is if I'm wearing anything more than just a tucked in shirt.
    " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
    '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

[quote]
      Ouch! I have heard of that before, maybe from you. It's just one of those things you don't really think about until it happens. I always use my free hand to clear the clothing to re-holster, that is if I'm wearing anything more than just a tucked in shirt.[/b]

I think about it all the time. I always watch people closely when they holster during a cold weather qualification. You see some interesting things when standing behind them while running a course of fire. The clothing always seems to find a way to foul up the holster.
      MILSPEC-Measured with a micrometer, Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Painted to match.

Comment

That's one reason I don't like those drawstring thingies on my outerwear. I usually remove them and just tie up the cords.
        "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Working...
        X