Pistol Sights for Aging Eyes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistol Sights for Aging Eyes

The older I get, the worse my eyesight has become. I shot with some friends on Sunday and had the opportunity to shoot the same model pistol with different sights. I originally considered buying Ashley Xpress sights, but decided to install Ameriglo CAP sights on my Glock 43 after a lot of consideration. I shot a friends G43 that had Ashley Xpress big dot sights and had a chance to compare them to the sights on my pistol.

I shot both pistols paying attention to speed of sight acquisition, indexing sights on target and accuracy. The Ashley Xpress sights worked much better for me in all three areas.

If your eyesight is heading south, you may want to consider buying Ashley Xpress sights. I wish I had purchased them over the CAP sights for my Glock 43.
    MILSPEC-Measured with a micrometer, Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Painted to match.

I've had similar experience. I haven't replaced any of my sights yet but will probably do so on my Glocks. My 1911 has a tritium front sight and it works well in the dark.
    "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

I used the Trijicon HDs on my 43...so far so good

they also come in orange
      "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

I just got new glasses recently , my first progressive lenses . They are really messing with my sight pictures , and everything else for that matter . I am thinking about going back to single lenses , or even considering lasik . Any experience with this ?
        Fighters in every place and clime , in every cause but our own .

Comment

I measured the distance from my eyes to the front sight of my pistol, shotgun (18" bbl) and M4. All were about the same. I had my eye doctor make a single strength prescription that focuses at that distance. Any eye doctor should be able to do this. As a bonus, I also use them for sitting at the computer; screen is about the same distance.

Comment

Now that something I can use....my sight is still OK for sights... it is closer in where I have the majority of my problems..or the computer screen...but all of it is nothing like it used to be,
            "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Jester, ain't nothing I got like it used to be!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Navalinfantry View Post
                I just got new glasses recently , my first progressive lenses . They are really messing with my sight pictures , and everything else for that matter . I am thinking about going back to single lenses , or even considering lasik . Any experience with this ?
                I have some safety glasses with magnifiers, but as Gunner reminded me you need to train like you fight. The Ashley Xpress sights seem to work the best without any help with failing vision.
                MILSPEC-Measured with a micrometer, Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Painted to match.

Comment

7Ring, weren't those XS Big Dots on Hanley's rig?

http://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8208

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Navalinfantry View Post
                    I looked at this one too. The issue with lasik is they can only do one eye. I train with both, left and right handed. I would have to give one up. I elected to go with the XS 24/7 big dots and run them like a red dot sight basically. But I train with them regularly so I know what my "actual" capabilities with my pistol is. What shots I can reasonably expect to make and what ones I should pass on.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

I will take it up with my Doc . It would be fun to show up for an appt with my 12 gauge , FAL and G19 . I actually shoot some drills and do a lot of my Close Quarter with my glasses off as I assume they will be knocked off in a conflict .
                      Fighters in every place and clime , in every cause but our own .

Comment

I didn't take any guns to the eye doctor's office, just made the measurements at home using a yardstick. Heck, just tell him your computer screen is x-inches from your eyes and you want a single strength lens for that exact distance.

Comment

Originally posted by usngunner View Post
                          7Ring, weren't those XS Big Dots on Hanley's rig?

http://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8208
                          Yes they were. In my opinion they are superior to the Ameriglo CAP sights for those of us with diminishing eyesight.

Comment

Working...
                          X