Courage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courage

In 1980 I bought the Lt. Col.'s book "The Soldier's Handbook" in the preface there is a section on courage. The passage below was a revelation at 22 yrs old and has stayed with me ever since. Thought I would pass it along in these troubled times.

Right now stop. Convince yourself of a truth we banter about so lightly without ever really taking the time to understand. Take the time now. Really consider and think about this next sentence. "Everyone has to die." It's true. It's really so. Everyone of us are truly, without question, going to die. Get it into your head. Convince yourself. Take the time, now, and actually convince yourself of that one most important fact of your life- YOU ARE GOING TO DIE. The only questions remaining are "When" and "How".
    "When? No one knows. It could occur at any time. "How?" It can be with courage or in fear. You can not control the "When" But you can the "How". Just make sure you are not caught unaware. Don't get caught dying a coward when you can go with even less difficulty as a hero. So don't put off being brave. Teach yourself now. Begin to be courageous now, and continue to be, each time, as if it is the last chance you're ever going to get to go out in a blaze of glory. Try it. It doesn't take long. And, before long, it'll become habit. If you're going to die and you are, then why the hell not take advantage of the situation and play out the "How" as your choice, instead of as if it were someone else's? Make up your mind to die when the time comes like a man and, you will begin to live like a man, right then.

Lt. Col. Ret. Anthony B. Herbert
    The Soldier's Handbook
    Cloverleaf Books
    January 1980
    " May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't" General George S.Patton

" Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"

" The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail...the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation" Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

very nice...
    "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
    "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

That is an outstanding book and Lt. Col Herbert was one helluva soldier.

I wish I could get a copy of it now. I loaned mine to a "friend", the weasel transferred and took it with him.
      "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Sam, Amen to that.

Comment

It should be a high school, mandatory course.
          "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

Very nice, never gave it much thought but will now.

Comment

I'm gonna have to get and read this.... However this brings me to another point that I have been trying to verify, which is "semi" on topic for this thread.

If any of you saw the movie "The Kingdom" there was a quote that was made in it, during a conversation between
              You know, Westmoreland made all of us officers write our own obituaries during Tet, when we thought The Cong were gonna end it all right there. And, once we clued into the fact that life is finite, the thought of losing it didn't scare us anymore. The end comes no matter what, the only thing that matters is how do you wanna go out, on your feet or on your knees? I bring that lesson to this job. I act, knowing that someday this job will end, no matter what. You should do the same.[/b]
              While a very powerful statement, did Westmoreland actually do this? I have had some trouble finding anything definitive ok that topic.
              CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

Plan for what CAN happen, not what HAS happened.
              --CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
              --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'm gonna have to get and read this.... However this brings me to another point that I have been trying to verify, which is "semi" on topic for this thread.

If any of you saw the movie "The Kingdom" there was a quote that was made in it, during a conversation between
                You know, Westmoreland made all of us officers write our own obituaries during Tet, when we thought The Cong were gonna end it all right there. And, once we clued into the fact that life is finite, the thought of losing it didn't scare us anymore. The end comes no matter what, the only thing that matters is how do you wanna go out, on your feet or on your knees? I bring that lesson to this job. I act, knowing that someday this job will end, no matter what. You should do the same.[/b]
                While a very powerful statement, did Westmoreland actually do this? I have had some trouble finding anything definitive ok that topic.
                [/b]
                Actually, In certain units of the military, an officer will check to see if the proper papers are in a troops file on their arrival to that group, "a Will, Power of Atty to Spouse, and Insurance info." This is not an option, it is required.

Comment

Working...
                X