Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do it! Practice it! Live it!

$this->unconvert_size(18pt;line-height:100%">The disappointment:</span>

So back at the begining of May, Precision Applications ran 'Fighting Carbine' at the beginning of rendezvous. Had fun, and went in with the goal of well get though today, don't shoot anyone, and don't embarrass myself since I haven't been logging trigger time, running drills, or doing anything to really keep my skills sharp. Well all of that was 'mostly' achieved that day, and a good time was had by all.

As I got to review some video, and watch myself:

First Serpentine Drill

Then the second feeling a bit more comfortable

Were they ok? Yeah sure... Not horrible.
    Well did I get though it? Yes
    Was I ever in danger of hurting myself or someone else? No

Did I feel comfortable doing it? Was it smooth? Was it natural?

NO not at all!

In fact the simple facts of what I went into the course with kept ringing in my head. Don't screw up and don't hurt yourself or anyone else.
    So that being said, my mindset starting that course had me half defeated before I ever bolted up the first round. Maybe it was peer pressure, maybe it was knowing full well I hadn't been practicing. It really doesn't matter, but I did a lot of self analysis on why I felt that way.

So I guess what you can call this was a moment of realization, that after not practicing any moving and shooting skills for the first several years of my childs life so I could be Dad, I had let a very valuable skill virtually deplete itself to a mere understanding of a technique. NOT THE MINDSET OF BEING READY FOR COMBAT, OR EVEN PREPAREDNESS.

<span style="font-size:24, The Fix!)

Lets put all the bullshit aside, and talk big boy rules here just like we did in class. There are no if, ands or buts to this equation. If you aren't practicing your skills they are perishing every second. You don't need to be on the range to do them either. Putting on your gear and practicing mag changes, putting on your full gear and walking around and doing daily tasks even will make you more comfortable. There were three several items that were practiced between then and the shooting of the next videos on Saturday when Brad86 and I went shooting.

To start most of my gear had been upgraded. Gear isn't the combat defining piece or even what made anything here faster. In fact when I put it on, I said "Jesus there is shit everywhere! How the hell do people operate in this crap." This is where the following list came from.

1. Three times a week, practice malfunction/reload drills with snap caps in weapon systems. Not only practice them, practice them from all 6 mag pouches on the new plate carrier system.

2. Practice as you shoot! CMShoot has said this for years. Run the drills with your plates in your plate carrier. Get used to the restricted movement, the compressing feeling of having 21 additional lbs of armor on, and the extra 2-3 inches all around you.

3. Moving is hard, do it all the time. Even if you aren't going to the range, put your gear on and walk around. It takes effort to not be the bull in the china shop, and move around stuff in your house. After a few weeks you will be dancing up and down the stairs and your little kids will want there own set cause mommy or daddy look darn cool.

4. If it isn't second nature, you will fail. I will post a follow up video to this later this week, which involves me having what I thought was a malfunction, and was something very different, but I want to save it for a new post. The point is all those silly sayings we dump into our brains are all true. Stuff like the more you sweat in training the less you bleed in combat. Quotes from books like the following:
    "Muzzle control has to be a religion. You cannot point that weapon at
    one of your brothers-or yourself. Know where you barrel is at all times,
    and know the condition of your weapon-loaded or unloaded, bolt forward
    or to the rear, round in the chamber or not, safety on or off. Keep your
    finger off the trigger unless you're going to kill something."

Dick Couch, Chosen Soldier: The Making of a Special Forces Warrior[/b]
    All of that so rings true, and much like a dull knife that was made from good steel to start with, it doesn't take long to put that edge back on:
    Movement Drill, Slow, Smooth, and Fast

Then working together with your partner, you quickly un-fuck yourselves and find you communicate better, your fast and a lethal combo:
    Two man assault drill

My thoughts to wrap this up are simple, and I have said them all above.

1. If your not practicing your skills they are degrading.
    2. Practice as you fight. If you don't your fighting will suck.
    3. Chance favors the prepared mind. (More on this in my follow up.)
    4. Just cause you practice, if you don't practice with your partner your only half ready. (I think that makes shooting like sex.)

*Hope you all had a great 4th of July and weekend, Brad86 and I had fun and hope you enjoy the new video here. We had fun making it for you.*
    CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

Plan for what CAN happen, not what HAS happened.
    --CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    --Thomas Jefferson

It was a good day. We pushed ourselves and our equipment. The terrain was very bushy with lots of uneven ground and logs and whatnots, so being able to feel with your feet was a plus. Everything was definately run with an extreme sense of urgency. Yep, we made mistakes, so we ran the drills again. That's the whole point of days like that, push the envelope.

"That's the problem, the damn gun is backwards!"

Great day!

Comment

Wow, all that and the only comment I get is from Brad?
      CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

--CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
      --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I feel let down and I didn't even post it.

Comment

Hah! At least ya didnt shoot each other!
          www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

[quote]
            Hah! At least ya didnt shoot each other![/b]
            Yep, there is something to that. Good job!

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Why I try and bring great content sometimes is beyond me...
              CelticRaven

--CelticRaven

--Thomas Jefferson

Comment

[quote]
                Why I try and bring great content sometimes is beyond me...[/b]
                Frankly, I was waiting on the followup. It's a good post, and accurate, skills are perishable. As are the unskilled.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Follow up is coming... As a tease for it, the basis is a drill, I was down from the combat for about 15 seconds.... Why? because in the heat, being tired, and mentally taxed, I put a mag in my pouch backwards. Yes I am going to post it, but wanted to get conversation started here from other classmates as well
                  CelticRaven

--CelticRaven

--Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Looking good guys.
                    " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
                    '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

[quote]
                      Follow up is coming... As a tease for it, the basis is a drill, I was down from the combat for about 15 seconds.... Why? because in the heat, being tired, and mentally taxed, I put a mag in my pouch backwards. Yes I am going to post it, but wanted to get conversation started here from other classmates as well [/b]
                      And it was a looooong 15 seconds, so says the guy providing covering fire.

That's why we train like this and push things, so the mistakes happen on the range not when it's on the line.

Comment

Yep! The more ya sweat in training the less you'll bleed in combat.
                        www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

very nice rifle
                          "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

Working...
                          X