• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunfighter's Creed

D. Kellerman
    U.S. Special Forces ODA 2091
    SE Afghanistan 2003-2004, Gunfighters Proving Ground

1. A gunfighter has chosen to step into the arena, don’t tread lightly. This is a “no shit” situation. Training instructors will not be there to coach you. There won’t be a re-test or a warm-up.
    2. 20 minutes of quality dry or live fire training every week beats 4 hours of firing hundreds of rounds into paper once or twice a month.
    3. Either you have it or you don’t. If you don’t, get a new job or stay in the office.
    4. Confidence, dominance, and well placed shots will allow you to live. Never rely on having more ammo. Treat each magazine as if it were your only one.
    5. A perfect range score only means that you take too much time to shoot. Vanity kills in real life shootouts! That perfect score will only get you a nice certificate. Speed and reasonably good accuracy are what allows you to live.
    6. A good shooting stance will always seem right during a training course, but will never be perfect in real life. Get over it, fight through it, and get the shot off…now!
    7. MINDSET wins the fight…and DOMINATION of the situation deals death!
    8. Stand your ground, but take cover if needed. Moving away or backwards can make you a victim.
    9. Advance on the threat to gain the psychological advantage. Victims run, predators engage! In case you haven’t figured it out yet, you should be a predator!
    10. If you cannot choose what kind of gun to bring to a gunfight, but given the chance, bring one you can shoot well along with a lot of friends…or just say fuck it and don’t show up.
    11. Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot well, then communicate and/or move. Unless your partner is an idiot, he or she will know what is going down.
    12. Accuracy is relative. No person can outshoot a quality gun. Most “out of the box” quality guns will always be more accurate than you can possibly shoot. Train with and trust your gear!
    13. When your gun runs dry, use everything available to your advantage. Do not give up, ever!
    14. Use cover or concealment as the situation dictates, but remember when hiding behind cover, you are not DOMINATING the situation.
    15. Keep both goddamn eyes open; forget the “academy” firearm instructors. You ain’t shooting for a perfect score…you are shooting to live!
    16. If hit, ignore it until you can render self aid, you probably won’t even feel it if you are “into” the fight.
    17. Decide to be AGGRESSIVE enough, QUICKLY enough. Indecisiveness and will cause you to die.
    18. Remember, there is ALWAYS somebody faster….but age and treachery beat youth and vigor 9 out of 10 times!
    19. Some will tell you that “winning” is the goal. Wrong! “Living” is the goal. Discretion is the better part of valor.
    Copyright© 2004. All rights reserved.
    20. Be prepared to write a report justifying what and why you did.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Words and thoughts of life. Failure to implement them will bring a quick visit from grim reaper!!
    I stand with Israel !!!!!!!!!!!
    "Dogs best friend"
    "Every dog needs a friend"
    "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
    "Good wife, good sons, good dogs, good guns, what more could one ask of life?
    " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"
    " Anyone who doesn't like dogs or guns, is a person never to be trusted!"
    (All the above, Yours Truly
    The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement

Comment

Nice, very nice.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

In my opinion # 7, 13 & 17 are the most important rules. Good post.
        MILSPEC-Measured with a micrometer, Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Painted to match.

Comment

2,5, and 11 for me.
          "No sword? Use a stick. No stick? Use a rock. No rock? Use your fists and feet! Lose your life, but make the enemy pay!"

Comment

While you may or may not like him or his books, this reminds me of one of the paragraphs from one of Richard Marchinko's books where he was facing off with Russian mobsters, he said never give up ground and always keep advancing. However in Dominating the situation eh enemy the faces retreats, "These guys aren't warriors, they are thugs."
            CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

Plan for what CAN happen, not what HAS happened.
            --CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
            --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You posted a link to a video of an actual gun fight ( I think it was you ). As I recall the guy in question lived up to this creed pretty well.
              Here?s to cheating, stealing, and drinking. If you must cheat, then cheat death. If you must steal then steal a young girl?s heart. And if you must drink then have a drink with me.

Comment

Very good! I would like to view the video you speak about.
                "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

I have NEVER used the sights on my 1911 in combat.

Factoring, if ya' had to pull it, your in DEEP SH*T ALLREADY.

Natural point of aim, (ergonomics) will keep you alive, But a large sack full of Marbles and the willingness to unload on someone who desperatly needs it helps.
                  I can remember a point, that I was "turned". I used to be considering fear constantly, I was ALWAYS afraid, but, after a time, I found that was no longer the case. I WAS ANGRY. I HATED my enemy. I no longer waited, I SEARCHED for them.

That was the day I also factored I might be a liability to my men.

That was the day I retired.

Comment

I believe that in the majority of gunfights/shootings involving a handgun, sights are not used due to the average distance of the engagement. I have talked to guys that used a handgun at longer-than-average distances and every one used their sights. One of the LEO's in question had a perp trying to run him down with a car. The LEO fired several rounds through the windshield, some hitting the dash and steering wheel. The perp took multiple 180grn Ranger SXT .40's through the face and head and was found to be DRT.
                    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Working...
                    X