Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing Honor...The story of Ed Eaton

http://lifeofduty.tv/#/home
    "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
    "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

[quote]
    Real courage. I couldn't quite tell if he got or is being considered for the MH?
    Here?s to cheating, stealing, and drinking. If you must cheat, then cheat death. If you must steal then steal a young girl?s heart. And if you must drink then have a drink with me.

Comment

Well worth watching!
      "Ever since I was a kid I've had snakes as pets. They're clean and quiet. You give them rodents and they give you pure, unconditional indifference." Carl Hiaasen

"The Constitution is NOT and instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

"War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner." ? Cormac McCarthy

Comment

I was in a village late one evening. We lit it up. No mercy.

My Patrol leader was a grisled old Vietnam Vet, and he was from my hometown. I, was out of control, but he knew better than to get to far into what we were up to, he, was trying to reighn us in in a safer manner.

He stopped me, grabbing my arm and asked a question.
        "BOY, Do you know what HONOR IS?"

I was briefly stunned by the thought.

"No, Brice, I dont recon' that I do know."

He jerked my arm harder, looked me square in the eyes, and said, "HONOR, IS WHAT YOU DO, WHEN NO-ONE IS LOOKING.....AND THAT, IS WHAT LETS YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT 20 YEARS FROM NOW".

My last Son deploys soon, and every day, I could ask him, and he KNOWS that answer quite well.

So for those who walk the walk, or talk the talk, its a good definition thats always worked for me.

"HONOR, IS WHAT YOU DO, WHEN NO-ONE IS LOOKING."

I saw Brice in the Camp Nelson National Cemetary this year.

Back home in Kentucky. I saluted him, and remembered that.

I went home, and he was already there.....and no body saw.

Rest well Brother.

Comment

I know this is something I've never talked about. I guess because people in the US kinda like hated us when we came back from Nam. I remember landing in Cal. in May of 70. The folks on the plane were nice until we landed. Then we had to exit to a different gate as the civilians. There was a chain link fence on both sides of the walk way to the door. People had signs and were screaming nasty things to us. Accusing us of killing babies and kids. People threw food and one lady (lady?) spit at me. When I got in the airport I felt ashamed of my uniform. Something I'd never felt before. I was always so proud to wear my dress greens. However, I went into the restroom and found a pair of jeans and a T-shirt in my duffel bag and put those on. It makes me sick to my stomach now to even talk about it now.

For, seven years I refused to talk to anyone about Nam. I at one point started to lie and tell folks I wasn't there. My drinking and bad temper cause a divorce between my wife and I. I ended up getting custody of my five year old daughter. The best thing to ever happen. Finally, I met a girl how made me so seek therapy. I went to therapy for over two years. I learned to slowly start talking about Nam and what happened there. I stopped drinking for nine years after that. When I did drink it was in moderation. I spent a lot of time up in the mountains alone. I'd take a little food and a fart sack and head out for a few days. Slowly the wounds scabbed over. They will never heel I don't think. America can never take back all the $hitty things they said about us. TV, books and a load of other crap that depicted us all as crazy, blood thirsty people.

Today, I'm very happy the young folks coming home are getting the care they need. Ticker tape parades I guess help heel their wounds a lot. Ours was forty years to late......

May God Bless America, flea
          "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

[quote]
            I know this is something I've never talked about. I guess because people in the US kinda like hated us when we came back from Nam. I remember landing in Cal. in May of 70. The folks on the plane were nice until we landed. Then we had to exit to a different gate as the civilians. There was a chain link fence on both sides of the walk way to the door. People had signs and were screaming nasty things to us. Accusing us of killing babies and kids. People threw food and one lady (lady?) spit at me. When I got in the airport I felt ashamed of my uniform. Something I'd never felt before. I was always so proud to wear my dress greens. However, I went into the restroom and found a pair of jeans and a T-shirt in my duffel bag and put those on. It makes me sick to my stomach now to even talk about it now.

For, seven years I refused to talk to anyone about Nam. I at one point started to lie and tell folks I wasn't there. My drinking and bad temper cause a divorce between my wife and I. I ended up getting custody of my five year old daughter. The best thing to ever happen. Finally, I met a girl how made me so seek therapy. I went to therapy for over two years. I learned to slowly start talking about Nam and what happened there. I stopped drinking for nine years after that. When I did drink it was in moderation. I spent a lot of time up in the mountains alone. I'd take a little food and a fart sack and head out for a few days. Slowly the wounds scabbed over. They will never heel I don't think. America can never take back all the $hitty things they said about us. TV, books and a load of other crap that depicted us all as crazy, blood thirsty people.

Today, I'm very happy the young folks coming home are getting the care they need. Ticker tape parades I guess help heel their wounds a lot. Ours was forty years to late......

May God Bless America, flea[/b]
            I shared this post with dad yesterday and here was his response:

Eric
            I can only say been their done that my scars never did heal but I am glad to know someone feels just as I did and still do . I am very glad to see the treatment now and I am glad for them but walking into WallMart and people begging for money and war prize does not do a damn thing for me except make my guts roll. I feel it and it is truefor me I still do not know who my enimey is. now that the country has turned plum yellow and does not even believe in the constitution I am tired of sticking up for the grand old flag for I never did let her down . I do not want to get to much into it cause it is to painful to think about because I gave my all like so many did for days on end sleeping on a steel deck at general quarters for weeks on end hearing the thud on the ship .the biger ones thud in the water . The after head gone which was just above where we all sleep when we got the chance. No Eric I did not come back like you and so many are I came back to shame and was willing to give my life for it . that was a bad dream that I can't forget.
            If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace.... Thomas Paine

We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all....
            Theodore Roosevelt

There's a lot of smart people in the military. We're not as dumb as
            everybody thinks, and we know how to do our job really well. If you're
            going to send us in there for war, then that's what you do. You just
            send us in there and let us do what we need to do. We'll get done and
            we'll get home, and it'll be over.
            Marcus Luttrell US Navy SEAL

I can beat someone to incapacitation with a pillow slip full of dead cats or a homemade battle axe and it?s just as legal so long as the use of force is justified.

Comment

Well, I call all of the Grunts "Brothers". Thats the way ill address you. It seems no matter what the conflict, some Red Robe wearing tamborine bangers' always gonna crap in your cornflakes. But I dont care. I know men like you both, A few of you may be further along the road to Trying to be a Civilian than I am, I drink, I fight, I Rage at 3 am. Ive lived in the Forest for the last 15 years or so, untill the government took my home (Which was paid for) and I BUILT that cabin, My work was there, My shop, My animals, they took EVERYTHING. But it aint the first time, and it wont be the last im sure. If what I WANT TO DO to make it right, and the MORALLY RIGHT thing to do, stop conflicting so much, someone, is in deep sh*t. I digress.

I picture you as old Wolves, with a few too many cubs crawling around on you while your trying to sleep. Irritating at best, always riding our backs. I guess the one thing they need to remember when dealing with old men, is a few simple rules. Rule 1, we didnt get old by being stupid. Rule 2, no one can ride your back if its not bent. Rule 3, age and treachery trump youth and strength every time.

The one thing I have taken from my lifetime of service, is Honor. Its ALL I have left.

So if no one else ever got around to it, I will. "WELCOME HOME BOYS."

Ya' ever get the urge to hang out and do something ballistically incorrect.....im always around.

Comment

Working...
              X