*PICS ADDED* STI Ranger II .45ACP done, by John Harrison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *PICS ADDED* STI Ranger II .45ACP done, by John Harrison

All it needs now is a trip out of state to be coated in IonBond DLC.

Here's the list of work done to my stock STI Ranger II:

Replace rear sight with HD Extreme Service rear in plain black, replace front with tritium sight

Face of barrel flush with slide and recrown with recessed crown

HD Extreme Service ignition set with Commander hammer, Duty/Carry trigger job

Fit ambidextrous thumb safety of my own design/configuration

Fit 10-8 slide stop, countersink slide stop pin hole and recess pin

Machine frame for EGW mag well, heli arc on, dress out and blend to frame and grips. Shorten grips to match magwell

Legacy Custom MaxRamp MSH, scallop to match chainlink pattern on front strap

Serrate rear of slide, extractor & ejector 50lpi to match rear sight

HD Extreme Service oversize firing pin stop

Narrow front of slide for Hi Power cuts

HD Carry groove grips, black G-10

HD Extreme Service extended mag catch

Refinish all in matte IonBond DLC

I'll have pics up when I get it back. Here's a few John sent me of the EGW magwell fit up.

Last edited by cmshoot; 02-08-2015, 03:01 PM.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Looks Good! I like your thoughts on the safety...once you have to unlock it...no point going back from there are the pics a little deceiving...or is that side off and the other side on
    "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

The pics don't show the right-side/left-harder safety. I cut it down into a profile very similar to USGI. Enough to use if you need it, but out of the way otherwise.

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

I used an Ed Brown ambidextrous thumb safety. I slimmed the left side safety back slightly, then cut the right side safety back to nearly USGI style. This gives me enough to use in an emergency, but it's small enough that it's out of the way. I really like the way it turned out.......I like the way the entire pistol turned out! John is truly an artisan.

The tenth picture down shows how the OAL of the STI grip frame is the same length with the welded-on magwell as a standard 1911 without a magwell. For comparison is my SAI TRP that John also did.

The final pic is my rig, built by Ryan Grizzle of R. Grizzle Leather. Black leather with sharkskin trim.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Very nice looking rig, Shep! Simple, functional, with an understated elegance.
              "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Took her to the range today for a 300rd workout. BORING!!!!

Shot a mix of factory 230grn FMJ, 230grn FMJ handloads, 185grn FMJ-HB handloads and Speer Gold LE 230grn HP's.

Fed and functioned perfectly. Slide always locked back when it was supposed to, dropped when I told it to. Mags slid right in and dropped free easily. All rounds went smack dead center. 8rd groups were a single, ragged hole.

The trigger was smooth and crisp, no overtravel, reset just took a subconscious thought. It routinely made holes in paper where I wanted them and made steel jump and ring.

Didn't have to TAP-RACK, clear a stoppage or malfunction, wrestle with a magazine, etc.

BORING!

I wish all guns were this boring......

Comment

Looks real good! Smooth can be boring...sometimes boredom is a good thing
                  "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

I wish my 1911 ran smooth enough to be boring. That is one nice looking gun. I'm really digging the cut down right side safety, it's always felt unneeded for me to have a giant safety on that side since it is just for backup.

Comment

That is THE SHIT! It turned out great! Let me know when you want to sell it! Lol
                      " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
                      '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

Nice. I like that a lot.
                        "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Hah! She's staying with me!

Comment

Working...
                          X