Ken Hackathorn on the 1911

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Hackathorn on the 1911

The 1911 pistol, good choice for carry or a piece of history? The answer is a bit of both, but a 1911 pistol is not the ideal gun for everyone. Certainly one of the best if not the top selling handguns in America, the great 1911 does have issues. It is a pistol made by a variety of manufacturers and in various levels of quality. I grew up with the 1911, I carry one most of the time, and I have never felt under-armed with one. My 1911 pistols work and I know how to maintain them and keep them in top form. For the ‘non-gun guy’, it is a bad choice; they’re much better off with a Glock or S&W M&P.

I’m often asked, “is a high capacity pistol better?” YES. Are high cap pistol necessary? If you miss a lot, they are great. If you can shoot, the 1911 will solve most problems. Consider why you want or need a pistol, then pick a gun that fills that need. The 1911 pistol has always ‘spoke’ to me. The modern polymer pistols make great tools, but they have no soul. In my classes I always ask who does not own a 1911 pistol. Sadly, these days more and more students raise their hands than those who don’t. I always bow my head in shame. Every true American Patriot should own a 1911 pistol. That is a fact. You don’t have to carry one, but, you should have one.

As of late it has become popular to damn the 1911 pistol. For over a decade I have referred to the 1911 as “The Worlds Finest Close Quarters Sidearm”… and, “King of feedway stoppages.” I have seen 1911 shooters that are so good at clearing malfunctions that they can do them subconsciously. When asked what happened to their pistol, they will reply, “What stoppage?”. They have to do IADs so often, that they don’t even realize that they did one. LAV refers to this as ‘Malfunction Amnesia’. Make no mistake, 1911 shooters are the best Immediate action drill shooters in the world. If you want a really reliable 45acp pistol, check out the H&K 45, FNX45, Smith & Wesson M&P 45, or the new Sig Sauer P227.

In many ways the 1911 is like the Harley Davidson motorcycle: it is uniquely American, but requires extra effort to keep it on the road. Like the Japanese Samurai sword, it represents much of the spirit of the warrior class: honored, collected, past from father to son, and likened to with a near spiritual following. I love the 1911, carry one almost daily, but usually train and teach with the gun that most of my students use: one of those polymer pistols without a ‘soul’.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

I like it, thanks for posting.
    " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
    '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

I love my 1911's. Always have, always will.
      "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Amen!!! Like the modernity of today, the spirit of America is rapidly waning. The ultimate question is, will it become just a memory, an artifact to be viewed in museums, only to be revived when Messiah comes? (Ref. Revelation "1911".)
        I stand with Israel !!!!!!!!!!!
        "Dogs best friend"
        "Every dog needs a friend"
        "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
        "Good wife, good sons, good dogs, good guns, what more could one ask of life?
        " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"
        " Anyone who doesn't like dogs or guns, is a person never to be trusted!"
        (All the above, Yours Truly
        The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement

Comment

I love my 1911s and liken them to M1As. I do realize that one day it will probably fade into the sunset, much like the Colt SAA pistols of yesteryear. The appeal will always be there but the new crowd will not see it.
          "No sword? Use a stick. No stick? Use a rock. No rock? Use your fists and feet! Lose your life, but make the enemy pay!"

Comment

[quote]
            I love my 1911s and liken them to M1As. I do realize that one day it will probably fade into the sunset, much like the Colt SAA pistols of yesteryear. The appeal will always be there but the new crowd will not see it.[/b]
            Love my 1911's but I do carry um something else. I also agree that everyone should have an M1 Garand as well.

Comment

Since I am new here, this post seems like an appropriate place to make my first post. The 1911 is a piece of American history - having already celebrated over 100 years of successful use and still going strong. For me it is like the heart of the real America, it can never replaced or overshadowed.

When I was young lieutenant in the 101st, I carried a 1911 and formed a deep appreciation for it and will never forget the day my local gundealer in Hopkinsville called me in and proudly announced my Gold Cup NM had arrived. Over 30 years later I have thousands of rounds thru that piece and I never tire of shooting it. Not unlike the katana was the soul of the samurai, the 1911 seems like a kindred soul to me. May 1911's live long and prosper in a sea of souless polymer pistols.

Comment

Excellent first post.......and welcome to Paradise!

I'll try not to hold the whole Screaming Chicken Army thing against you!

Semper Fi!
                www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Them chickens only scream when they're up to their asses in the chickenshit they have to endure when in garrison. They're usually happier than pigs inshit when breaking and blowing things up, or practicing to do so.
                  I stand with Israel !!!!!!!!!!!
                  "Dogs best friend"
                  "Every dog needs a friend"
                  "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
                  "Good wife, good sons, good dogs, good guns, what more could one ask of life?
                  " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"
                  " Anyone who doesn't like dogs or guns, is a person never to be trusted!"
                  (All the above, Yours Truly
                  The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement

Comment

[quote]
                    Them chickens only scream when they're up to their asses in the chickenshit they have to endure when in garrison. They're usually happier than pigs inshit when breaking and blowing things up, or practicing to do so.[/b]
                    It was an honor to serve in the 2/327th Infantry "No Slack." Having done due dilligence with my military history course at school, I gained a new appreciation for my unit after reading thru our history and lineage. Like many very old military units, the number of campaigns it was involved in was a humbling experience once you realized you were a part of something very old and very distinguished. One time, on a dare, a few of us lieutenants stupidly volunteered to show the color guard how it was done and carried the battalion colors on our battalion run. I only held those colors for perhaps 5-10 minutes but they were so heavy with streamers it damn near felt like it was going to break my back and after giving them up the next lucky guy I almost fell out of the run. Switch over was almost comical and the big strapping enlisted men who normally carried those colors had themselves a good laugh. We toughed it out and got a few cases of beer gratus the color guard. Whatever unit one serves with, I think you always have the inner satisfaction of knowing you served. Combat or peacetime, line unit or support, it is never easy and always commands respect. My greatest respect always went to the cooks and mechanics - some of the hardest working men I ever saw - little glory, just work. So, my hats off to anyone who has served in the armed forces - even the Marines - they are Infantry too and that is as close to perfect as you can get.

Comment

Working...
                    X