Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Proper" reloads.........I stand corrected!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Proper" reloads.........I stand corrected!

What would I do without the internet?! Found out a couple days ago that the way I've been reloading an AR-variant for 25 years is WRONG!

Silly me! Here I was thinking it was such a simple task.......stick out, stick in, bolt release.

Silly rabbit! Apparently, there are multiple twists/rotations of the carbine required, as well as lookings and assessings.

Thanks once again, Internet!
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

you left out a step...stick out ...stick in..pull on stick..bolt release...but if you think the other is easier...go for it
    "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

WTF... HUH???
      I stand with Israel !!!!!!!!!!!
      "Dogs best friend"
      "Every dog needs a friend"
      "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
      "Good wife, good sons, good dogs, good guns, what more could one ask of life?
      " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"
      " Anyone who doesn't like dogs or guns, is a person never to be trusted!"
      (All the above, Yours Truly
      The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement

Comment

Did I miss something somewhere?

Stay safe,
        Mark
        "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.'
        --George Patton

"Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."

There's no such thing as "unfair advantage."
        11B4HJ3/B4

Comment

Is this information from the same guy that had the ballerina shoot and move video?

Comment

Apparently......the proper procedure is:

1. Rotate your M4 so that the ejection port is facing straight up and visually inspect the chamber area to ascertain if you need to reload

2. If you do need to reload, now rapidly twist the M4 180 degrees in the opposite direction, so that the ejection port is facing down.

3. While doing this depress the magazine release button so that the magazine is flipped to your left. Amongst other reasons, this apparently keeps the magazine out of your direction of travel so that you don't step on it and trip.

4. Insert a fresh magazine

5. Chamber a round.

Whew.........

Here's what I teach:

1. Dump the mag
            2. Insert new mag, seating firmly
            3. Tug down in new mag to ensure it is seated and retained by the mag catch
            4. Release the bolt.

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

that seems like a lot of time only assessing your weapon...and what if I am moving to my left...I would like to think it will take more than an empty mag to trip me
              "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Aside from the point...

What do you guys think about visually inspecting your gun while reloading or clearing a malfunction in general? I only truly focus on the gun(pistol or rifle) - or more so on the magwell - while inserting a magazine, but other than that I just keep my gun up where I can see it along with the targets. If something doesn't feel right I just go with the muscle memory and hope something good will come from that - and after all else fails I start to visually inspect what might be worng. Trying to keep it simple and all that... Thoughts?

Oh yeah, and instead of AR I still shoot AK.
                - Greetings, Kosanderi

Finnish Sniper Guild
                Big Bore Club
                Toiminta-ampujat

Comment

In a malfunction absolutely you need to see what's up. For a normal reload not so much I don't think.

Unless of course some smart ass has loaded the top round in backwards. But then we're back to the malfunction.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

I will rotate the weapon slightly so that I can get a quick glance at the status of the bolt as I'm already starting my reload.

Comment

Working...
                    X