M-16 rifle stance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-16 rifle stance

Why are todays shooters holding their weapons so that the butt stock is well above the natural shoulder pocket?
    I stand with Israel !!!!!!!!!!!
    "Dogs best friend"
    "Every dog needs a friend"
    "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
    "Good wife, good sons, good dogs, good guns, what more could one ask of life?
    " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"
    " Anyone who doesn't like dogs or guns, is a person never to be trusted!"
    (All the above, Yours Truly
    The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement

because????????????????
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto " You cannot Invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

yours truly ,, Ron

Out here. not quite in touch with reality. Nant-y-glo PA.. In the Allegheny Mountains, the first frontier: U S N ---1967-1971>>> One Nation under GOD, Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. Whether they like it, or not.

Comment

In the formal offhand position, it has a lot to do with keeping your head erect, i.e., bringing the sights to your eye and not your eye to the sights. The head and neck are kept straight and erect, eyes are looking straight forward, not up and forward.
      www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

So you could call this stance "Prairie Doging"?
        "Dogs best friend"
        "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
        " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"

Comment

[quote]
          In the formal offhand position, it has a lot to do with keeping your head erect, i.e., bringing the sights to your eye and not your eye to the sights. The head and neck are kept straight and erect, eyes are looking straight forward, not up and forward.[/b]
          We do this while shooting High Power for the reasons you stated. When at Camp Perry, the Officials watch very closely to ensure you don't have the buttstock resting on top of your shoulder. If you don't have at least part of the buttstock resting on the front of your shoulder, they will call you on it.
          MILSPEC-Measured with a micrometer, Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Painted to match.

Comment

[quote]
            <div class='quotemain'>In the formal offhand position, it has a lot to do with keeping your head erect, i.e., bringing the sights to your eye and not your eye to the sights. The head and neck are kept straight and erect, eyes are looking straight forward, not up and forward.[/b]
            We do this while shooting High Power for the reasons you stated. When at Camp Perry, the Officials watch very closely to ensure you don't have the buttstock resting on top of your shoulder. If you don't have at least part of the buttstock resting on the front of your shoulder, they will call you on it.
            [/b]
            If the stock makes no contact with the shoulder, how can one be accurate?
            "Dogs best friend"

Comment

[quote]
              <div class='quotemain'>
              <div class='quotemain'>In the formal offhand position, it has a lot to do with keeping your head erect, i.e., bringing the sights to your eye and not your eye to the sights. The head and neck are kept straight and erect, eyes are looking straight forward, not up and forward.[/b]
              [/b]
              If the stock makes no contact with the shoulder, how can one be accurate?
              [/b]

As long as you are consistent, you can easily shoot accurately. Try resting the stock on top your shoulder sometime and see what happens. Even with the M1A, you would be surprised at how accurately you can shoot from the offhand position with the stock resting on top of your shoulder and allowing the rifle to recoil. Once in a while you wind up with a bloody fat lip, but it is worth it if you get good hits. Consistency equals accuracy with a combat rifle. Now if I could only figure out how to use a bolt action rifle with a scope..........................
              MILSPEC-Measured with a micrometer, Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Painted to match.

Comment

[quote]
                Why are todays shooters holding their weapons so that the butt stock is well above the natural shoulder pocket?[/b]
                Bo, another reason, and the reason I teach students to place the toe of the butt just above the pocket of the shooter's shoulder is speed. ARs have a sight plane much higher than the bore. If you use that junction of the toe/ upper shoulder as a pivot point, bring the rifle up to the cheek - not the head down to the rifle - it is much faster than trying to fiddle around looking for the sight picture. The instant the buttstock contacts the cheek, consistent cheekweld is obtained and the shooter already has a sight picture. Simple and FAST. It works especially well with ARs that have optics. It is NOT necessary for guys like Shep whose jawline is level with their collar bones since they have no necks!:

Some of the boys overseas patrol with the buttstock on the shoulder to let their vests take the weight of the rifle. Not sayin' it's right....just the way some do it in that environment.

Comment

[quote]
                  <div class='quotemain'>Why are todays shooters holding their weapons so that the butt stock is well above the natural shoulder pocket?[/b]
                  Bo, another reason, and the reason I teach students to place the toe of the butt just above the pocket of the shooter's shoulder is speed. ARs have a sight plane much higher than the bore. If you use that junction of the toe/ upper shoulder as a pivot point, bring the rifle up to the cheek - not the head down to the rifle - it is much faster than trying to fiddle around looking for the sight picture. The instant the buttstock contacts the cheek, consistent cheekweld is obtained and the shooter already has a sight picture. Simple and FAST. It works especially well with ARs that have optics. It is NOT necessary for guys like Shep whose jawline is level with their collar bones since they have no necks!:

Some of the boys overseas patrol with the buttstock on the shoulder to let their vests take the weight of the rifle. Not sayin' it's right....just the way some do it in that environment.
                  [/b]
                  Great explanation. Speed Bump brings up some very good points.

Comment

Makes sense. Thanks!!!
                    "Dogs best friend"

Comment

Working...
                    X