Drill for checking stock/cheek weld and body position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill for checking stock/cheek weld and body position

Shoot a 3-5 shot group at 100yds. Make dead sure that you do not move you head in any direction on the stock, from first to last shot. Keep it absolutely still and in the exact same position.

Pick a different aiming point on the target and shoot a 2nd 3-5 shot group (same # of rds as the 1st group). For this group, deliberately take your head completely off the stock in between each shot. I make my students twist their head around, like you're loosening a stiff neck.

Pick a 3rd aiming point and fire a 3rd 3-5 shot group. For this one, in between each shot leave the weapon on the ground and completely stand up.

All 3 groups should be as accurate as you can make them. Other than moving the head and body, all other variables need to remain the same.

You SHOULD have 3 identical groups, in regards to group size. What the majority of shooters will see is that Group 1 is the best, Group 2 is a little bigger, and Group 3 is the worst.

If all 3 groups aren't the same size, you've got a problem with you cheek weld consistency and body position.

A "cheater" or "kisser" on the rifle stock will help you achieve consistent cheek weld.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

[quote]
    A "cheater" or "kisser" on the rifle stock will help you achieve consistent cheek weld.[/b]
    Would you mind expounding upon this a little bit?
    ?Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    General James Mattis, USMC

"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down."
    Yagyu Munenori

"A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by."
    John Wayne

Comment

A cheater or kisser is a tactile reference to get a consistent stock weld.

I've seen it done several ways. In the Corps, some guys would take a button off of their cammies. They would get into a good firing position and someone would mark the spot on their rifle stock where the forward edge of their cheek lay. They would then use tape to fix the button in place. Now, every time they went to shoot, they would use a stock weld that would put the forward edge of their cheek touching the button. This helped them have consistent stock weld.

If you have a smooth stock, you can take a strip of adhesive-backed Velcro and do the same thing.

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

I have always tried to set my adjustable cheek rests up so that the corner of my mouth rests right at the leading edge of them. Works well for a collapsible stock on an ar as well. I set the scope so that when my stock is in the proper position that my mouth is at its leading edge and the scope lines up correctly.

This was also the first thing the builder of my rifle had me work on when I spent the day at the range with the new toy...

Good thread.

Comment

[quote]
          A cheater or kisser is a tactile reference to get a consistent stock weld.

I've seen it done several ways. In the Corps, some guys would take a button off of their cammies. They would get into a good firing position and someone would mark the spot on their rifle stock where the forward edge of their cheek lay. They would then use tape to fix the button in place. Now, every time they went to shoot, they would use a stock weld that would put the forward edge of their cheek touching the button. This helped them have consistent stock weld.

If you have a smooth stock, you can take a strip of adhesive-backed Velcro and do the same thing.[/b]
          Thank you, sir. I will be trying this out this weekend.

"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down."
          Yagyu Munenori

John Wayne

Comment

I see you're in South Georgia. Are you familiar with the Rendezvous we're doing in Blakely in April?

Comment

[quote]
              I see you're in South Georgia. Are you familiar with the Rendezvous we're doing in Blakely in April?[/b]
              Yes sir, that's about an hour and a half from me. I have full intention of being there. Is getting a cabin a good idea, or is there anywhere to primitive camp as well?

Yagyu Munenori

John Wayne

Comment

There is not a place on the property to camp out, I couldn't tell ya what's in the surrounding area.

Comment

[quote]
                  There is not a place on the property to camp out, I couldn't tell ya what's in the surrounding area.[/b]
                  Very well, we will try to get a cabin, if they're booked, we have a hunting lease a little bit up the road in Fort Gaines. On average, how many shooters do you guys have show up at one of these shindigs?

Yagyu Munenori

John Wayne

Comment

About 30

Comment

[quote]
                      About 30[/b]
                      That's awesome, I'll be the guy walking around with the notebook trying to learn through osmosis.

Yagyu Munenori

John Wayne

Comment

Just ask and we'll help!

Comment

Kolomoki Mounds may be the closest place 15-20 minutes away I think. You will enjoy the Rendezvous...I always have...some good folks and good help.
                          "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

[quote]
                            Kolomoki Mounds may be the closest place 15-20 minutes away I think. You will enjoy the Rendezvous...I always have...some good folks and good help.[/b]
                            I don't know how I feel about camping with Indian ghosts, lol. Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to it. The more I browse, the more it seems there are a lot of active guys from around this area.

Yagyu Munenori

John Wayne

Comment

Going back to the OP's original point which sounds good and I will try it;
                              how can this be accommodated if using something like a Leupold where the eye relief changes depending on magnification used?

Comment

Working...
                              X