Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you use/recommend for a trunk/truck gun, and why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use/recommend for a trunk/truck gun, and why?

My main trunk/truck gun is a 16" octagon-barrrelled Winchester 94 in .30-30 that I built. It's got 5 rounds in the rifle (hammer down on an empty chamber), with 6 spare rounds in a butt cuff. If I can't solve the problem with 11 rounds of 170grn Federals, then I'm in the wrong country. With a sourcough front sight and a rear peep, it's plenty accurate but quick to use at short range.

I didn't want to use my M4 for a trunk gun for a few reasons:
    1. I've got over $2000 wrapped up in my M4, not something I wanna replace, or have spend a lengthy period of time in a police evidence locker while the case is adjudicated.
    2. If a 'banger got his hands on it, I would have equipped some POS with a longarm that is superior to what the vast majority of LE is totin' nowadays

I considered my Arsenal Inc AK. I've got a little over $1000 in it, so I wouldn't be taking near as bad a hit if it were stolen. Additionally, I'm not as attached to it and it wouldn't bother me if it spent some time in the pokey. Still, I would be putting a highly effective, and powerful weapon, in the hands of some thug if it were stolen.

My Springfield Armory SOCOM-16, pretty much the same reasons as my M4, with about the same amount of $ wrapped up in it.

My thutty-thutty: highly effective anti-personnel caliber, accurate enough to hit a man out to at least the 200yds that I have personally fired it to, simple and reliable. I've got under $600 wrapped up in it, but I would bet my life on it. If a thug got his dickskinners on it, I do believe that most would sell or pawn it in a hurry, and most that might hang on to it might have a hard time figuring out how to load and operate it.

I've been asked a few times recently about my recommendation for a good trunk/truck gun. I have come to recommend the lowly SKS:
    1. Highly effective, inexpensive caliber. You don't need SP's, HP's or tipped bullets when your launching .30's.
    2. Accurate enough for the task at hand, i.e., anti-personnel at under 100yds. The average SKS is inherently more accurate than the average AK.
    3. Highly reliable, if you stick with the factory 10rd non-detachable magazine. I don't see the need for more than 10rds in the rifle for it's role as a trunk/truck gun. A canvas buttstock magpouch from an M1 carbine can hold additional stripper clips if you feel the need.
    4. While the days of the $75 SKS's are long gone, they are still pretty cheap.
    5. If you can find one of the "Paratrooper" models, that would be even better.

What are y'all using? What do you recommend?
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

It's funny that you mention it, but I have a paratrooper sks, or a 18.5'' 870 with a 2shot ext, butcuf with 5 rnds, and a 6 shot side saddle,with a mix of slugs and 00buckshot. It seems the shotgun is more politically accepted, like you said about the 30-30. People dont just freak out about a shotgun, but it will cause as much devistation as nearly any rifle out there.
    " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
    '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

My dedicated truck gun is an old Chinese SKS beater.
      Totally reliable and accurate to 100 yards.
      It was cheap and has no resale value - I wouldn't want to loose it. But I only paid $75 for it almost 20 years ago. So I have got my
      moneys worth.

I also have a M44 Nagant beater. Great gun for the front of the 4 wheeler. It was also $75. Dang cheap for a rifle you can knock bowling pins with at 250 yards.

My idea of a truck gun is a rifle that is cheap, ugly enough that someone might pass on stealing it, but accurate and reliable enough to do you some good if you need it.

Comment

A used police 870, It looks terrible, but shoots good. I am not worried about it getting any worse, although it's looks better now than when I picked it up. Same reason for not carrying the AR. I use to carry a WASR, I wasn't worried about it at all, and it was a good rifle.
        I am thinking about another rifle/carbine. I know shotguns are great weapons. I just have more confidence in using a rifle.
        I have also thought about a lever gun, but would get one to shoot 38/357 because I cast, load, and shoot that caliber the most.

Comment

I've got a Mossberg 500 that will shoot Winchester Slugs into one hole at 25 yards. I like that I can alternate between slugs and buckshot. I bought it used for $250.

Hard to argue with the SKS or one of those Romanian AK's.

Lever guns.

My final choice. It's a little more expensive and a little long compared to an AK but probably the same size of my Mossberg and that's the M1 Garand. CMP still has them for $500. It would hurt me feelings if someone took it but few things talk like 8 rounds of full power '06.
          Semper Fidelis

Comment

A pistol caliber lever gun would be great as well. Years ago I had a pump action Timberwolf in .357Mag. Cool gun, wish I still had it.

An M1 carbine would make a great one as well. Short, handy, lightweight, holds 15-30 rounds, and a slug at 1910fps ain't nothing to laugh at. BTW, Speer has either come out with, or is coming out soon, with a 110grn Gold Dot HP .30 Carbine load.

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

havent really decided what i will put in the truck just yet. i have carried my AR at times with th receivers detached in a small bag. never felt comfy leaving out in the truck though for similar reasons listed above.

CMShoot- have you looked into the LeverEveloution ammo for the lever gun? my grandfather swears by it and has doubled his comfortable shooing distance wth it. ithink he was shooting 150gr FP before that.

Comment

I've eyeballed it but haven't tried it yet.

Comment

[quote]
                  havent really decided what i will put in the truck just yet. i have carried my AR at times with th receivers detached in a small bag. never felt comfy leaving out in the truck though for similar reasons listed above.

CMShoot- have you looked into the LeverEveloution ammo for the lever gun? my grandfather swears by it and has doubled his comfortable shooing distance wth it. ithink he was shooting 150gr FP before that.[/b]

Yeah it's da bomb!
                  " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
                  '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

the 170gr SP ammo from hornady, traditional load, runs at 2200fps, with a 100 yard zero, drops 9.4" @ 200 and 35.7" @ 300 with only 530ft/lbs left a distance.

the 160gr FTX LeverEvolution runs 2400fps. 200 yard zero is 3" high at 100 and only drops 12.1" @ 300 with 1025ft.lbs left at dstance.

Comment

For a truck gun? M82A1. It's a little on the heavy side, but perfect for those jackasses that cut me off, brake check 18 wheelers or are obviously driving impaired. Unfortunately, my original side mount didn't protrude far enough, so during test firing, my left front headlight disintegrated. I fixed that problem by mounting on the top of the front quarter panel. The factory HUD has been reprogrammed to accept input from a small video camera that is positioned just aft of my Mark IV and has held up well in "testing". This high-tech accoutrement is complimented by my rube goldberg kite string trigger pulling device.

What's been disappointing is the cracks in my windshield from the spent brass, and the sheer underwhelming impact holes of the AP rounds. Unless I line up on the license plate, I almost never get disabling first-round engine hits. I'm considering going with a twin setup for a more balanced look, but am worried I would appear too "extreme". Looks and appearances are very important to me; I'm concerned that two (or more) .50s would make my car look fat. I already get enough "looks" from the other parents that apparently disapprove of my choice of truck gun, but I'm sure I'm surrounded by an understanding cadre here at SP.

Any thoughts?

Comment

If I could HAVE a truck gun it would hands down be my 7600 .308
                        " May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't" General George S.Patton

" Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"

" The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail...the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation" Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Comment

It's really hard to beat a shotgun. That's my choice. You ask why? Because I shoot it better than anything I own.

Comment

Just a Glock 29-- 10mm
                            3 mags and a Surefire C2
                            "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."
                            Leo Tolstoy

Comment

MMMMMMMMMMMMM 10mm

Springfield 5" 1911 and a 18.5" 870 OO and slugs.
                              I always have the 1911 and Im not about to ride around with either of my AR's for pretty much the same reasons you have Shep. If I had a 30/30 I would carry that instead of the 870. Alot more reach.
                              No man knows how bad he is, until he has tried very hard to be good.
                              C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X