Excellent training tip for dry fire with an AR-type rifle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent training tip for dry fire with an AR-type rifle

If you're running a precision-type AR, or just wanting to get some great dry fire practice from a static position with your M4, here's a great tip. It does take a shooter and a helper, however.

Remove the charging handle and bolt from your rifle. Take a length of 550 cord, a boot lace, or something similar, tie a small loop in one end, and loop it over the gas key on the bolt. Leave the charging handle out of the rifle and reassemble. The length of cord will be running out the back of the receiver, through the opening that the charging handle normally occupies.

The helper grasps the end of the cord. Immediately after the shooter "fires", the helper yanks the cord, pulling the bolt to the rear. This will both simulate recoil (to help practice proper follow-thru) and cock the rifle so that you may dry fire again.

Works in all positions, and works like a champ.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Why am I picturing the helper basically punching the shooter in the face? What am I missing?
    CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

Plan for what CAN happen, not what HAS happened.
    --CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The cord needs to be long enough for the helper to be standing a foot or so behind the shooter. The helper pulls the cord to the rear, shouldn't be any punching.

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Since there was some confusion about this drill, I shot a short clip of a student of mine doing this drill with my help.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X