Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boanerges
    replied
    My question is, what kind of "low guard/ready gun" stance is that, a mix of "yoga/zen" martial art form? Why the touching of thumbs?
    Looks like the weapon could be taken away fairly easly.
    What happens when the sodium and adrenaline dump takes place and tactile motor skills deminish, and gross motor movements rule the day?

Leave a comment:

• usngunner
    replied
    Dude on the left pirouetted but didn't do as thorough a scan as the guy on the right. That is what I think of as "range day" awareness.

I think scan intensity has to do with experience, and the actual environment. I pay a heck of a lot more attention with actual living threats in the AO rather than popping paper on a firing line.

That said, I think that in some situations it would be the heat. I know I would see more facing that way rather than going over the shoulder.

Especially if you have a partner, that is how my buddy Chas and I fought. We would engage the threat then one would automatically pivot to check 6.

Leave a comment:

• cmshoot
    replied
    One of the premises for this particular threat scan is that I am not going to turn unless I am 100% satisfied that my original threat is out of the picture.

One of the things I like about the 360 turn is that I think it will force students to do a more thorough scan. What I see during classes is students doing diligent scans for the first hour, half-assing it the second hour (going through the motions) and not doing them at all on the third hour. Making an actual turn makes it harder to "go through the motions". Unless you wanna pirouette like a ballerina, you almost have to do a fairly thorough 6 check.

I do a very thorough scan by turning my head and twisting my body, always have. Even so, the difference in what I could see and make out was much better when I physically turned.

While I'm not 100% on board (yet), this one has certainly gotten me thinking.

Erik's method of engaging threats to the strong side while moving laterally has got me re-evaluating how I do this. I've always been a "switch shoulders" guy when it comes to stuff like this, but really like his method, which is totally different. Switching shoulders isn't a problem, as long as you practice it diligently and often. His method is definitely easier to learn and master. Face it, most folks go severely down hill when they switch shoulders. You're not just switching shoulders, you're switching eyes and everything. Honestly, I shoot equally accurately with either hand/shoulder/eye, but I shoot significantly faster with my right hand/shoulder/eye. For most folks, keeping it in the strong shoulder is a blessing.

Leave a comment:

• RTS
    replied
    Off the cuff, I'm not a fan of turning my back to an area that just had a threat in it. I'd try to get into a defensive position then scan for more threats.

As for transferring this to pistol training, how hard would it be for threat #2 to conceal himself as you begin the turn, if they haven't already engaged you? How likely are you to engage with a pistol without having a good idea of the complete threat picture? In a "dynamic fighting rifle" scenario, you're probably in a different threat environment to begin with.

My thoughts, with zero experience, is to not modify your over the shoulders scan for pistols - training for different situations.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X