Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]
    Excellent post[/b]

" May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't" General George S.Patton

" Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"

" The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail...the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation" Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Comment

I know this is old but I wanted to add a little to it.

I have never been in combat as most people would describe it and I've limited time in sim-training role.

Shep, we took that class together and that 360 degree scan was the first scan that I was ever taught. I got what you said about the deliberate movement and thinking through the scan process back then...and I still get it now a year later. To be quite honest I hadn't really developed much of a fighting mindset then. And hey, I'm still young..who knows what I don't know. So since that was my first time getting into a scan process, it was the ONLY scan I wanted to practice.

Being limited to where I live with indoor ranges, I had to look over the shoulder with my carbine and pistol.

However, in the most recent pistol class I took from Erik and Tod, what they call Level II, the scan process was much like the one you said you teach. The same way that I had been forced to practice but with more deliberate steps. Shoulders square to threat, face clockwise over shoulder back all the way to the six, work back counter-clockwise to twelve and check original threat again, keep working counter-clockwise to six, and then work clockwise again to check the threat...then check weapon. As another member already posted... That 360 might be better for a long gun where maneuvering would lend itself to being squared up and rockin' rounds.

I'm still not sure how I feel about turning my back to the direction where I KNOW someone just came from...and the guy is laying there with who knows how much blood pressure...and who knows what in his pockets/waistband to pluck me while I'm looking for his buddies behind me.

That being said...you can see me in this picture looking behind me. Say that I did see a threat there....sure would be nice to have been facing him to fight and shoot as normal while reassessing/reaching cover. As a lone regular guy, what would I do in this pictured position? Pivot and shoot? Someone tell me...because I don't know...

Environment and alone vs. with team obviously plays into this as well. In my limited experience I've never not had someone covering a direction I've had my back to...so this is a mental block for me. In addition, I don't really believe it was the movement that got me thinking "deliberately." It was learning that firearms aren't death-rays and waking up to the offensive/defensive mindset. From there I could understand and work either of those two scans with more rigor. Just offering that up since most people probably learned the static scan first while I went in reverse.

As for the shoulder-switching thing....yes, that seems to me now to have more application in barricades.

Still learning....

Can't wait to do CPPM with ya'll in January.
      Who Dares, Wins.

Comment

LaRue, welcome to Paradise!

In a lone situation, yes, I would pivot and engage, as long as I felt 100% that the threat I had already engaged to my front was no longer a threat. If I wasn't comfortable turning my back on the original threat, my best bet might be to back away in such a manner as to keep both threats in my vision. As you were facing your original threat, say the new threat is coming from 5 o'clock, I would back towards 9 or 10 o'clock.

I know; I don't recommend backing up in a stressful environment, but, I also say "Don't ever say NEVER or ALWAYS!" The situation is dynamic and fluid and the motto of the day is "Semper Gumby", which translates to "Always Flexible".

Anybody have a better idea?
        www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Ah I see. Re-positioning and opening up the field of view to keep eyes on both. Makes sense.

And yes... Semper Gumby.
          Who Dares, Wins.

Comment

Working...
          X