DRD Tactical Kivaari .338 Lapua w/ Nightforce BEAST 5-25x56mm H59

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRD Tactical Kivaari .338 Lapua w/ Nightforce BEAST 5-25x56mm H59

Picked up my DRD Tactical Kivaari .338 Lapua yesterday. Topped her with a Nightforce BEAST 5-25x56mm with the Horus H59 reticle.

The Kivaari is an AR15-type semi-automatic which utilizes a 10rd detachable box magazine. The barrel is 24" long with a 1:10" twist. The receiver incorporates an integral Picatinny rail with 0MOA cant to it. The forend has a continuous rail at 12 o'clock and additional rail sections can be bolted on at the end user's discretion. The bolt carrier group is NiB coated and the weapon functions using the direct gas impingement system. It comes with a 1MOA accuracy guarantee.

The best part about the Kivaari is that it breaks down easily into a readily transportable package that will fit in an average backpack. DRD's similar systems in 5.56, .300BLK and .308, will readily store in a briefcase when they have a barrel length of 16" or shorter, but the .338's 24" barrel makes for a bit of a longer package.

While I have not yet shot my Kivaari, I recently spent a weekend at Legion OTG in Blakely GA doing a test and evaluation for a foreign government end user. I was very impressed.

The Nightforce BEAST 5-25x56mm scope shown here has the Horus H59 reticle and a 34mm main tube. It's turrets have an available 120 MOA/34.9 Mil of elevation and 80 MOA/23.27 Mil of elevation.

The elevation turret includes Nightforce's ZeroStop system and a 360 Brake Control which locks the turrets. The Brake Control must be manually locked and unlocked, so the shooter can use it at their discretion. My favorite feature of the elevation turret is the M2 Precision Elevation Lever. The regular part of the elevation turret adjusts at a rate of .2 Mils, which makes it much quicker to use. If you end up needing an odd amount of elevation adjustment, you turn the turret until you are .1 Mil below the needed adjustment, then throw the M2 Precision Elevation Lever, which gives you an additional .1 Mil. Excellent balance of speed and accuracy.

Normally, the BEAST comes with Nightforce's Digillum system that not only illuminates the reticle, but allows the shooter to change between red and green illumination, with the green having NV-compatible settings. My version has the Horus H59 reticle and illumination is not available with that reticle option. The Horus H59 is a Mil-based reticle that allows quick and accurate hold-offs for windage and elevation.

I mounted the BEAST in a Nightforce Unimount with a 20MOA bias.

I just put her together for a brief photo op, I'll take her back apart and get her to Dobbs Defense for a new Cerakote outfit. I'll post pics of her when I get her back, and get her to the range.

Last edited by cmshoot; 08-29-2015, 07:10 AM.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Recoil is very manageable. Here's a video, although that ain't me in action.

http://youtu.be/hC3DcYkoHCw

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Was doing some function testing with a new brand of ammunition. 10rds rapid of .338 Lapua.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBeswgT0c4o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXt7pXWS1IM

Comment

I hate and envy you all at the same time...
        "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
        "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
        "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecOpsScout View Post
          I hate and envy you all at the same time...
          Yeah, what he said!

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Don't be haters!

Comment

Okay, then I love you..no homo...
              Can I have it?
              "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
              "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
              "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

Come on down to a Rendezvous and I promise you can shoot it to your heart's content!

Comment

Working...
                X