Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how would you build a rifle for guerrilla sniping?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how would you build a rifle for guerrilla sniping?

After talking to cmshoot on the phone about an upcoming class and reading something from another trainer about guerilla sniping, I have started to wonder what you would say is a good build for urban sniping or guerilla warfare. I know we fought against some dragunov types in the sandbox but is that a good guide line?

What would you build and how

Guerilla sniping and urban sniping aren't necessarily the same thing, although they can be.

For urban, I like a semi-auto with a variable power scope with a low bottom end, like a 2.5-10x or so. Even a 1-6x would work great. A good reticle for hold-offs......a lot of the shots will be quick without time to twiddle your knobs.

Preferrably, a caliber that is good for punching intermediate barriers, but doesn't need to be a long range performer.

A sound suppressor/silencer is an outstanding tool for urban AND guerilla sniping.

For guerilla sniping, it's much harder to nail down. It will depend a lot on your AO, available targets, supply/resupply situation, and restrictions that may be in place in that area. Are all civilians prohibited firearms in that area? If not, then something that would be something a hunter would carry, or something one is allowed to have for personal protection, would fit the ticket nicely.

Remember that historically Snipers are not treated well if ID'ed and captured. It is common for whatever "rules of decency" that are being practiced to go out the window if one is suspected of being a Sniper. If you are engaging in Sniper operations in an insurgency role, you may be best off with a bare minimum of kit and a SWS you can ditch and not go back to.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

I have been thinking of putting the swfa ss 1-6x ffp on a 16 or 18" ar10 as a general purpose gun that could be used from 0 to 600 yards. Possibly a future can for it as well.

I know ffp isn't much use at those ranges, or at least I could do without, but I also like the reticle change on low power in that scope...

I live right on the edge of a suburb here broth of nashville so it's not uncommon to have open land but I've been thinking more urban lately...

I guess I think more of guerrilla sniping as urban because that what my experience has been but I can also now see the other side of it now that you've said it.

Comment

My Guerilla Sniper course is set up and run as a true "run what ya brung" course. Anything will do and you will be engaging different targets depending upon your weapon system's capability. An iron-sighted AK or Winchester 94 will do, although most students run some sorta AR. Quite a few bolt actions, including a Ruger Gunsite with a scout-scope.

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Another thought for Guerilla Sniping is using the same system, or at least ammo, as the enemy. The report of the weapon will be harder to pick out in an active situation, you can obtain ammo from the enemy, and you don't have to be as worried about policing up your brass.

I'm throwing a lot of little things out there.......I have an entire PowerPoint presentation on both of these topics that I use to teach in the appropriate classes.

Comment

My M1A was built just for that purpose. Turns out it's a tack driver and I use it for Designated Marksman matches which simulate very fast and dynamic matches in urban areas. I'm running a Bushnell 1-8.5x scope with Mil reticle. The more I use it, he more I fall in love with it. Truthfully the Scout or Socom 16 would probably make a better setup, but this is what I had when I built it.

-
            Formerly known as N15

Comment

I set up my JP Enterprises LRP-07 in .308 for the Urban and Guerilla Sniper courses I teach. 18" barrel, topped with a Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm.

Next year I plan on having the barrel cut to 16" and adding a can.

Comment

I thought guerrillas were on the endangered species list???
                I stand with Israel !!!!!!!!!!!
                "Dogs best friend"
                "Every dog needs a friend"
                "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
                "Good wife, good sons, good dogs, good guns, what more could one ask of life?
                " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"
                " Anyone who doesn't like dogs or guns, is a person never to be trusted!"
                (All the above, Yours Truly
                The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement

Comment

[quote]
                  I thought guerrillas were on the endangered species list??? [/b]
                  If they attack they still get shot...
                  JACK) Shooter-Diver

Comment

What about a Ruger American in 308?

Comment

I think a Ruger American in .308 would be just fine. As Shep said, the considerations for a GS rifle are more about your AO than the firearm itself. For my current AO, it is a mix of urban, suburban, and rural all in essentially walking distance. Long distance shots would be rare, and due to the short range you could potentially be looking at brief seconds to make a shot. Due to the circumstances something with a lower power variable scope and could be made concealable would be more to my advantage than power and long range. Considerations of getting in and out without bringing attention to myself would drive the equipment, so no running around in full kit and armor, think blending in and avoiding cameras.

Hopefully that makes sense, I'm just an amateur.

Comment

Working...
                      X