Finally found the rifle of my dreams!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally found the rifle of my dreams!

For years, I always wanted a an M1. Had many M1As but no M1s. Kept running into old beaters, or people asking ridiculous amounts for rifles that weren't even in a good condition. Last week, I saw an add on a Carolina shooting forum for an M1. He claimed that it was in pristine condition. I went to see it. It was practically new! It's an H&R Arms M1. A life long dream has come true. I'll be doing some research on the history of this beauty.
    -
    Formerly known as N15

Beautiful! My Garand is one of my favorite rifles. It's a December 1944 Springfield Armory that I got from the CMP at Camp Perry.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Might bring it down to the rendezvous.
      -
      Formerly known as N15

Comment

I saw that on the Carolina Forum, looked like a good one.
        Hope it shoots well for you.
        "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Bring! We've run some iron-sighted milsurps out to 1k or so........a highly tuned M1A out to 1450yds.

I need to pick up another SMLE.........if anyone comes across a good shooter for a decent deal, let me know.

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

I've been wanting a nice M1 too... but knowing next to nothing about them is frustrating. When I get around to having the money specifically for one, I'll just have to find someone in the know... I'd hate to spend the $$ and get a POS.
            In God We Trust, All Others Make Bond.

Comment

Pick one up from the CMP and you won't get screwed.

Comment

That's nice.
                Proud father, and former U.S. Marine.

Comment

Funnest, bestest gun there is; Congrats

Comment

[quote]

For years, I always wanted a an M1. Had many M1As but no M1s. Kept running into old beaters, or people asking ridiculous amounts for rifles that weren't even in a good condition. Last week, I saw an add on a Carolina shooting forum for an M1. He claimed that it was in pristine condition. I went to see it. It was practically new! It's an H&R Arms M1. A life long dream has come true. I'll be doing some research on the history of this beauty. [/b]

Good condition is relevant to what the buyer is looking for. Believe it or not, the older the look, the more the value. Collectors look for how many parts are correct to the rifle's year of manufacture and whether the rifle is original or "corrected." They want that greenish tint to it. Something that looks brand spanking new is not desired unless it's a 6.09 million rifle. Too many folks that want a Garand get wrapped up in how it looks instead of how she shoots. You are looking for a muzzle erosion of about 2 and throat erosion about 2. That's what collectors are really looking for. Especially if the barrel is correct to the receiver. Certain serial numbers and manufacturers are also desired. Below is a site where you can gauge the age of your rifle. Below that is a site that will tell you what parts are correct to the year of your rifle. If you really want to learn about Garands, try buying a mix master Garand and then correcting it. You will learn so much more about Garands than you ever thought you would from just doing that.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id11.html

http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/Parts.aspx?action=home
                    "No sword? Use a stick. No stick? Use a rock. No rock? Use your fists and feet! Lose your life, but make the enemy pay!"

Comment

Sweet!!!
                      "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

[quote]
                        <div class='quotemain'>
                        For years, I always wanted a an M1. Had many M1As but no M1s. Kept running into old beaters, or people asking ridiculous amounts for rifles that weren't even in a good condition. Last week, I saw an add on a Carolina shooting forum for an M1. He claimed that it was in pristine condition. I went to see it. It was practically new! It's an H&R Arms M1. A life long dream has come true. I'll be doing some research on the history of this beauty. [/b]

Good condition is relevant to what the buyer is looking for. Believe it or not, the older the look, the more the value. Collectors look for how many parts are correct to the rifle's year of manufacture and whether the rifle is original or "corrected." They want that greenish tint to it. Something that looks brand spanking new is not desired unless it's a 6.09 million rifle. Too many folks that want a Garand get wrapped up in how it looks instead of how she shoots. You are looking for a muzzle erosion of about 2 and throat erosion about 2. That's what collectors are really looking for. Especially if the barrel is correct to the receiver. Certain serial numbers and manufacturers are also desired. Below is a site where you can gauge the age of your rifle. Below that is a site that will tell you what parts are correct to the year of your rifle. If you really want to learn about Garands, try buying a mix master Garand and then correcting it. You will learn so much more about Garands than you ever thought you would from just doing that.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id11.html

http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/Parts.aspx?action=home
                        [/b]
                        Great source of info. Thanks. Everything you mention is important for those who take it seriously. I'm more interested in a good running rifle that is fun to shoot. If I had more time I might get into putting togther a 100% original rifle with all matching parts. I would rather something in good condition that will provide me with years of shooting pleasure. That's what this rifle provides for me. It shoots to close to MOA with hunting ammo, and I've already changed the gas plug so I can shoot modern ammo. I'm aware of the pressure limitations and how it can damage op rod. I would like to get back into shooting service rifle with it but can't deal with the anal attitude of the CMP. In the end I think I will use this as my go to hunting rifle.

-
                        Formerly known as N15

Comment

Believe it or not I bought my first Garand last June and asked about ammo. Shep and company chimed in and educated me all about ammo and different pressures. Man did I go overboard after that. Took my 1943 Springfield and found the three parts (Yes, only three. The follower arm, barrel, and EMcF stock) and am patiently waiting for Gus Fisher to tell me to come and pick it up!
                          "No sword? Use a stick. No stick? Use a rock. No rock? Use your fists and feet! Lose your life, but make the enemy pay!"

Comment

Working...
                          X