This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Lapping" a factory barrel

This isn’t the type of lapping that many are familiar with, when the manufacturer of a custom barrel is finishing the bore. The technique below is for smoothing out a finished barrel, usually already mounted on a factory rifle, and making it easier to break-in and clean.

DO NOT use this method on a “custom” barrel (Krieger, Lothar Walther, Hart, Broughton, etc) as they have already been hand-lapped at the factory. Use this method for factory barrels on various Remingtons, Winchesters, Savages, etc.

Supplies needed:
    1. One-piece coated cleaning rod (Bore Tech, Dewey, Tipton, etc)
    2. 1000 grit lapping compound
    3. Bore guide (I recommend Mike Lucas’s bore guides)
    4. Slightly undersized bore brush (can be a used one, or one for the next caliber down)
    5. Cotton patches
    Or
    6. VFG Bore Cleaning Pellets with a VFG 3-pellet jag, instead of #’s 4 & 5 (this is what I use),
    7. Rod stop, or tape

Make sure that the barrel is good and clean. Install the bore guide. Using either the brush with a patch on it, or the bore pellets, apply the lapping compound liberally to the patch/pellets.

Insert in the bore guide and slowly push it through the bore until it exits the muzzle approximately 1/16”. Mark this stopping point by using a rod stop against the back of the bore guide, or you can mark the stopping point by using tape (I usually use Scotch brand painter’s tape, the bright blue stuff). This will mark the forward most limit of your stroke.

Stroke the bore 40 – 50 times, one stroke being all the way up and back. After every 15 – 20 strokes, I will reapply some lapping compound.
    When done, throughly clean the bore to remove all traces of the lapping compound. Make sure to clean the chamber as well, in case you did not have a good seal with your bore guide. Wipe the crown of the barrel off.

On a Remington barrel, after lapping it, I will fire 3 rounds, inspect it for copper, and clean it. I will repeat this until the copper fouling is very minimal after 3 shots. I have never had to go more than 3 sets of 3 shots on any factory barrel, after lapping. Usually, 3 or 6 shots is all that is needed.

Now, shoot to your heart’s content. From here on out, I recommend cleaning when one of these happen:
    1. You are done shooting for the day, and will not be shooting again in the next couple days.
    2. You begin to notice a decrease in accuracy.

www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Hey brother, thanks for a great write-up. I am going to try this on my Rem 700. It's a .308 VLS with the 26" varmint barrel. I've shot about 75 rounds through it at this point and I followed the break-in procedures, but after reading Flea's cleaning methods I think my cleaning routine has been inadequate. I still have a lot of copper fouling after shooting, my groups are getting better though. I read your other post about the boiling water step, do you think I should do this at this point or will I be okay just lapping the barrel like in this post? I plan on doing all I can with this barrel and hope to shoot .5moa groups with her someday (I need work too, that's why I'm here!). I hope I havn't screwed something up already...

Thanks,

Casper
    *Always Learnin*

Comment

I would recommend doing the boiling water routine first to make sure that the barrel is squeaky clean. Then follow with the lapping routine.

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Ok, sounds good. Can't wait to see how she turns out. Thanks again!

Casper
        *Always Learnin*

Comment

Hey Guys,
          The newest issue of Precision Shooting magazine has an article about one form of fire lapping. It's an interesting read...
          Respectfully,
          Harry
          "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
          "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
          "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

Hey Harry,

The problem with fire lapping is unless the bullet is seated perfectly straight it will engage the rifling on one side deeper then the other. Thus bad results. So your runout has to be dead on the money. This is why I came up with the above lapping formula.

Take care, flea
            "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

Very good stuff, Havent done this in years...(uhhhh....decades) im trying to find those vfg swabs....have a nasty russian PSL that needs work. (7.63by54 Im thinking I could get away with something for a 7.62by51) Ive already popped the Muzzle Break and front sight (Not going to be needing it) and have a good guide set up. and we used to use a heavier polishing compound, but I have some jewelers rouge too. ( I also use this on triggers cantact faces.) I brought this up in another forum here, I feel its NECCESARY not an option on a new barrel, especially the Half-A**ed Russian and Chinese barrels for builds ive done as of late. WHAT A MACHINED MESS! I never knew they actually MADE TOOLS for this task!

Comment

I buy the VFG bore cleaning pellets from Brownell's

Comment

[quote]
                  I buy the VFG bore cleaning pellets from Brownell's[/b]
                  ordered some today with the compound and kroil. what do you use to clean bore after using this stuff?
                  Here?s to cheating, stealing, and drinking. If you must cheat, then cheat death. If you must steal then steal a young girl?s heart. And if you must drink then have a drink with me.

Comment

Whatever solvent you normally use to clean with.

Comment

And clean it very well.... Having a general flow of solvent through the barrel to wash out isn't a bad idea.
                      CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

Plan for what CAN happen, not what HAS happened.
                      --CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
                      --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                      X