Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang, that thing is really looking good. Tell ole check6 howdy and happy new year.
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Shep- I like that Aluma Hyde II. I recently painted the stock on my 5R in OD Green and it turned out nice. I also painted the metal in Aluma Hyde II Matte Black.

Charlie

Comment

Went to paint it and found out that my can of Alumahyde II, which I have had for awhile, had "gone bad". Had to order a new can from Brownell's and I'm waiting on it. Well........crap!

Ordered a Karsten's cheekpiece tonight. I'll post step-by-step photos of installation when I get it in.
        www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

[quote]
          Coated the stock with TacTex. Next step is to paint the stock OD green with AlumaHyde II, but that will have to wait a few days. I couldn't get to it today due to rain, and I am going out of town for a few days starting tomorrow. If I get a chance to spray it tomorrow before I leave, I will. I'm hoping I do, as I like to let the AlumaHyde cure for at least 5-7 days when the weather is cold like it is now.

I also modified the scope mounting holes in the receiver, as well as the mount itself. I opened the holes and threaded them to 8-40 (from the standard 6-48) and opened up the mount as well to take the thicker bolt.

The optics will be an IOR 6-24x50mm, so I installed a Nightforce 40MOA mount.[/b]
          That TacTex looks great -you can't even tell that you added any material to the stock. Does the AlumaHyde need any primer base?

Comment

I thoroughly degrease the stock and spray the AlumaHyde straight onto the TacTex. Never had a problem with adhesions or wear when using this method.

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Got 'er all done.

I coated over the TacTex with OD green AlumaHydeII and gave it a good week to cure. Got a Karsten's adjustable cheekpiece from Karsten and installed it. What a simple installation. I used my drill press and had it done in maybe 2 minutes. Even with a handheld drill I would have had it done in under 5 minutes.

Here's all the work that was done:

1. Replaced factory SPS Varmint stock with an HS Precision stock, which I converted from RH to LH use

2. Built up the grip on the stock

3. Coated entire outer surface of stock with TacTex, which I then coated with AlumaHydeII in OD green

4. Added almost 3# of lead shot to the buttstock, epoxied into place

5. Kept the factory X Mark Pro trigger for now. I was able to get it down to a very crisp 2.75#. Eventually, I will install a Rifle Basix trigger in it.

6. Hand-lapped the barrel

7. Installed Williams solid steel BDL-type floorplate

8. Opened up scope rail mounting holes to 8-40. Modified Nightforce 40MOA mount to match and installed.

9. Handlapped the scope rings and installed IOR 6-24x50mm scope

I've attached before and after pics.
              Attached Files

Comment

Shep that came out really nice. Good rifle for a good guy, now we will have to see him shoot it in Tenn
                " May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't" General George S.Patton

" Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"

" The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail...the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation" Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Comment

[quote]
                  Shep that came out really nice. Good rifle for a good guy, now we will have to see him shoot it in Tenn [/b]
                  Agree. That is very nice. The built up palm swell blends in nicely after the TacTex and Alumahyde have been applied.

Comment

Hey Brother,
                    That came out really sharp ...
                    Respectfully,
                    Harry
                    "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
                    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
                    "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

Working...
                    X