This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting an HS Precision stock from RH to LH

Putting together a long rifle for a good buddy on a budget. To make matters worse, he's left-handed. I picked him up a Rem700 SPS Varmint LH in .308. Good rifle, crap stock.

Easiest way to upgrade is to pick up a take-off HS Precision stock from one of the other Remington 700 variations (PSS/P, Mil Spec 5R, LTR, etc). Problem is, other than a few of the LTR's and some of the out of production VS and VSSF models, they're all right-handed.

I picked up a right-handed Mil Spec 5R stock from a member here for a great deal, with the plan on converting is over to LH. For the most part, this involves relieving areas for the bolt handle, safety, ejection port, and bolt release.

Here's some pictures of the 2 stocks, showing the differences.
    Attached Files
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

I started with the safety relief. Here are pictures of the area marked off to relieve, then 2 pics of the stock after the relief work was done. In the last picture, you can see my marks of where to start with the bolt handle relief.

I did this particular relief work with various bits and stones on a dremel tool.
    Attached Files

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Next was the bolt handle relief. The first 3 pics show the beginnings of the relief. I made the 2 straight vertical cuts with a hacksaw. Once I got down to the aluminum, it switched to a coarse rattail rasp.

The last 3 pics show the relief as I began to flare it down and back. I used a combination of rasp and carbide bit on my dremel to do this work.

As I was relieving this part, I would constantly put the barrelled action in and out of the stock, checking the fit of the bolt in the notch.

Attached Files

Comment

Next was the simplest part; relieving for the ejection port. I did this with a file.
        Attached Files

Comment

I relieved inside the stock for the bolt release to function, but I don't have pictures of it. Simple to do.

Next, I had to fill in the RH reliefs. My plan was to use steel epoxy putty. It's relatively inexpensive, very simple to work with, and super strong. I drilled hole in the RH reliefs, then ran coarse-threaded screws down in them, cutting the heads of and leaving some threaded shank sticking above the surface. These would serve as anchors to help hold the putty.
          Attached Files

Comment

Now to fill in the various reliefs and recesses that I no longer needed. I used Fasteel 2-part steel epoxy putty.

Once the epoxy fully cures, I'll start sanding it down.
            Attached Files

Comment

Got the filing/sanding done and the action fitted into the stock.
              Attached Files

Comment

Not bad ole bean. Off to the undercoater?
                "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

[quote]
                  Not bad ole bean. Off to the undercoater? [/b]

TacTech...the secret finish
                  " May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't" General George S.Patton

" Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"

" The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail...the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation" Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Comment

Looking good. Nice job! Hey... I remember that stock

Comment

I've got to add the lead to the buttstock, and then have Jeff handle it to see if I need to do any additional mods. May put a Karsten cheekpiece on it as well. Then coating and painting.

Comment

Hey Shep,
                        Thanks for that! You don't know how many times I considered exactly the same thing, only to let it pass by, as I wasn't sure where to even start ...It's kinda rough being wrong handed sometimes
                        Great info...
                        Respectfully,
                        Harry
                        "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
                        "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
                        "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

Wasn't too bad to do. There was a bit more involved than I thought there would be, but now that I've done one I could knock 'em purty quick.

I don't know what's wrong with me, most of my friends are lefties.

Comment

I added approximately 3lbs of lead shot & epoxy to the butt.

The owner of the rifle the stock is going into (Check6) came over and I made the stock fit him a little better. I built up the grip, making it more vertical and slightly longer. I removed some of the palm swell on the right side of the stock by filing and sanding it down.

Here's the method that I used to do these mods: http://snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/inde...showtopic=12315
                            Attached Files

Comment

Coated the stock with TacTex. Next step is to paint the stock OD green with AlumaHyde II, but that will have to wait a few days. I couldn't get to it today due to rain, and I am going out of town for a few days starting tomorrow. If I get a chance to spray it tomorrow before I leave, I will. I'm hoping I do, as I like to let the AlumaHyde cure for at least 5-7 days when the weather is cold like it is now.

I also modified the scope mounting holes in the receiver, as well as the mount itself. I opened the holes and threaded them to 8-40 (from the standard 6-48) and opened up the mount as well to take the thicker bolt.

The optics will be an IOR 6-24x50mm, so I installed a Nightforce 40MOA mount.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X