X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding weight to HS stock

Hey guys,

Has anyone had any experience adding weight to a HS type Pss stock? I need to add some weight in the back of the rifle. I have thought about cutting the recoil pad off and drilling out the butt stock. Taking some shot and epoxy, and filling the holes.

Can anyone think of a better way?

Thanks, Vern
    "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Flea, as I recall, I had a friend do the same on his PSS. But there was a void behind the recoil pad and he fit an M16 lead stock weight in back and put a new pad on. Seems to be working fine at this time.

Good Luck!

Comment

Hey Vern,
      I believe if you swap it for a McMillan, you can get it heavier ...
      Respectfully,
      Harry
      "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
      "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

verrocchio, thanks man, good info.

Hey Harry,

I know, I know, I want a A-5 but got wait. I had to put Celt off, as much as I hated to do it. Taxes killed me!

I just hope he aint pissed and will still build me one in the spring. I still want to build that 300 wsm in the A-5 stock, with 26" LW barrel. In talking to Celt, I know it will do everything I need done in a match rifle, then some.

Regards, Vern

Comment

Hey Vern,
          Thats what I'm doing to the stock on that ackely rifle,I don't see any other way,unless I buy another stock.I'll tell you,the more I screw with it I'll end up getting pissed and buying what I really need.

Mark

Comment

Hey Mark,

Are you going to cut the pad off and fill with lead shot? Hey did you get the bullets in from JLK?

Let me know I'll be home for awhile, seems something let loose in my back again. I went to the doctor today, they put me on the opum patch "spelling". For pain and sending me back to a bunch of doctors.

Now I can't drive at all and walk worse then I did before, this sucks brother! You guys might be dragging me to the matches for real now.

Call me, Vern

Comment

Cut the recoil pad off. Hollow out an area under it. Fill that full of lead shot gun shot and epoxy mix. When it cures, hit the butt on a belt sander to make it flat and put a new pad on.
              You can add a pound or two easy that way. Done it on the very first SPSC prize gun. Heavy barrel in a PSS stock. It balanced nicely that way.

I'll build you a rifle whenever your ready
              Celt
              HD Rifles )

Comment

What about adding weight equal through the whole stock to keep the rifles balance the same?

-Roth

Comment

Hi Celt,

I took the pad off and found a large void, for lots of lead shot and epoxy. Thanks everyone for the help.

Celt, saving my $$, you will build it, because "I want the best", I feel thats what your building is the best.

Vern

Comment

Hey Vern,
                    Just came in to work today to check on stuff,I'll be calling you later. Yes I did get the bullets. What I did was cut pad off and fill in with shot and epoxy. Also,don't know if you heard,Randy sleeping on couch and it looks permanent for a while. Due to this looks like I'm ending up with his heavy gun at a very good deal.
                    I'll call you later.

Mark

Comment

Ouch, the couch, been there done that got the T-shirt. Custom rifles before family don't set well with young wifes. After four wifes......I know to well.

My wife now, complains that I want sex all time, so she buys me rifles to get me out of the house........didn't get this old by being stupid.

Comment

Up date! I put the lead shot and epoxy in the hole I found in the back of the stock. I was able to add about 3 1/2 lbs. It balanced the rifle really nicely. Plus it took what little recoil a 308 win has down to almost nothing.

Today I took my HS Precision stock on my 300 wm apart, it's the Pro tactical model with the vertical grip. I found the same triangle shaped hole and filled it with lead and epoxy, almost 4 lbs added.

I really don't understand why sniper stocks aren't 5-6 lbs to start with. I know McMillan asks when you order a new one, which fill you would like. I'm just not sure how stock makers expect to put a 9 lbs barreled action in a 2 lbs stock and it be balanced.

Comment

I've read that I can add weight to the stock of my 700pss. How do I get the butt plate (recoil pad) off to access this large hole in the stock? What is the proper method of adding weight, and what is the cure time, and how do I reinstall the butt plate. I actually thought that the butt plate was glued on.

I would really like to bump up the weight, but want to do it properly to creat a better balance.

Thanks,
                          Chris

Comment

The pad is glued on. Deep freeze it first and you should be able to pry it off.

If that doesn't work, you should be able to razor it off.

You can mix lead shot with either Acraglas (or similar bedding compound) or foam spray-in insulation like you get at Home Depot. I believe it's called Great Foam or something like that. Fill the cavity that's in the stock and allow it to cure. I can't tell you what the cure time is without knowing what you'll be using. Just follow the instructions that come with whatever you will be using.

Epoxy the pad back on.
                            www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

I just did this to my PSS stock last weekend. I followed Flea's instructions:

http://snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/inde...showtopic=10805

except i used #8 shot and the Devcon 2-ton epoxy found at walmart, turned out very good, I let it cure for about 8 hours before I removed the 100MPH tape I used to secure the pad while the epoxy set. I think it added around 2.5 lbs to the stock.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X