This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to paint your weapon Tigerstripe Style

(I didnt have a marker to paint, so I used 1 half of a ruger 10-22 bullpup stock)

Howto: Paint Your Weapon Tigerstripe Style
    By Wookie
    Materials
    1. Matte Black Spray Paint
    2. Green Spray Paint
    3. Tan Spraypaint
    4. 3m Blue Painters Tape
    Clean and Prep
    Start by cleaning and preping your weapon. Please see my 'Howto Paint your marker Digital style' for more info.

Apply the basecoat
    It can either be green or black. I went with green, which made the final product more black. (as you will see)
    Remember to apply a nice thin coat. You want just enough paint to color it, not drown it.

TIP:
    If you spray too close you will get drips.
    If you spray too far it will glob in the air and give you the dreaded 'orange peel' effect.

Allow it to dry. You can bake it to speed things along if you wish. Dont let your oven get above 110F. (put a towel in the door to prop it open)

Taping
    Tear long strips of blue painters tape and apply it to your weapon. (make sure and tear both sides (my photo only shows 1 side torn)

Lay out the strips along the length of your weapon.

Spray it with the black spraypaint (or green if you used the black as your basecoat.
    Allow it to dry.

More Taping
    Now apply the 3m tape along the edge of your previously laid tape. You want small little lines of tan;
    Less is more at this stage. I actually used an airbrush to get in close, you maybe not be able to do that with a spray can, so you may want to mask off more than I showed in this picture.

Allow it to dry.

UnTaping
    Pull the tape off by tugging it against itself. This will help 'cut' the paint and reduce the chances of paint peeling off with the tape.

Enjoy, Wookie.

Excellent!

I have been thinking about a tiger stripe pattern for my Springfield Armory SOCOM. You made it sound so easy, maybe I can do it!
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Cool Looking----- but I can just see the conversation I'd have with my wife if she found out I was "cooking" one of my rifles in HER oven!
      "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."
      Leo Tolstoy

Comment

I think the stripes would be even better if up and down (grass and brush), but WAY cool paint job.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
        -Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955

Here, hold my trophy while I kiss your girlfriend. -NoFear Gear 1996

They do not teach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose. They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their jobs when they dam'-well choose. As in the thronged and the lighted ways, so in the dark and desert they stand, Wary and watchful all their days that their brethren's day may be long in the land
        -Rudyard Kipling in "The Sons of Martha" (a poem about warriors

Comment

That is excellent! Tigerstripe is my favorite camo pattern after HawkTarn and FleckTarn. Can you see a pattern here? "Hawk only likes camo patterns known not to be very effective" LOL.

Cheers,
          --Hawk
          There are few problems a well-placed 308 cannot cure. --- Hawk

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room! --- President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove

Rocket Science is much more fun when you actually have rockets! --- USN Recruiting Commercial

A little revolution now and then is a good thing --- Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen an end to war --- Plato

"In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine & Berkeley, Patty Hurst, heard the burst, of Roland's Thompson gun & bought it!!!" --- The Late Warren Zevon, Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner

In the 1500's, the Roman Catholic Church sold indulgences to forgive sin. In the 21st century, we call these carbon offsets. ---Hawk

�Fight like a man, so you will not have to die like a dog� --- Calico Jack Rackham's Mistress

Comment

[quote]
            That is excellent! Tigerstripe is my favorite camo pattern after HawkTarn and FleckTarn. Can you see a pattern here? "Hawk only likes camo patterns known not to be very effective" LOL.

Cheers,
            --Hawk[/b]
            lol, i wondered about the effectivness of it too...Maybe if you keep your weapon shouldered it would work?
            The new EU Camo?
            Still, i like the way it looks...

Comment

The problem with Tiger Stripe, or so I've heard, is that the farther you get from it, the blacker it looks. Closeup in a jungle type environment, it's pretty good. At a few hundred yards, though, you look like a black hole.

Cheers,
              --Hawk
              There are few problems a well-placed 308 cannot cure. --- Hawk

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room! --- President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove

Rocket Science is much more fun when you actually have rockets! --- USN Recruiting Commercial

A little revolution now and then is a good thing --- Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen an end to war --- Plato

"In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine & Berkeley, Patty Hurst, heard the burst, of Roland's Thompson gun & bought it!!!" --- The Late Warren Zevon, Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner

In the 1500's, the Roman Catholic Church sold indulgences to forgive sin. In the 21st century, we call these carbon offsets. ---Hawk

�Fight like a man, so you will not have to die like a dog� --- Calico Jack Rackham's Mistress

Comment

It don't work as well as others, but since I'm not "operational" anymore, I just want it to look cool!
                www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

redid my mauser yesterday just for the fun of it...

Comment

anyone thought of cahnging up the black to say brown or something other than say... BLACK? BTW ALWAYS BEEN A FAN OF tiger camo works good for coyotes in summer here in Mo.and it the next best thing to ghillie at night/day in a hayfield so my friends tell me after they walked over me as we were testing it out!

And yes it does tend to stand out black from a distance. mine has the black brown tan(little stripes) green so depending on the day lite it also tends to be brown or green from a distance of over 600m. wanting to have my 1911 gi and an XM-177 style rifle finished in it. think it will look cool....

Comment

VERY COOL! I just ran my pattern Verticle instead of Horizontal.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X