Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wipe down my surfaces with denatured alcohol (you can buy it from the hardware store) prior to painting. Then I either allow it to air dry or speed it up with a hair dryer.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Thanks cmshoot! Great suggestion ... I'll give that a try.
      - Pete -
      Ex Umbris Venimus
      SWT# 4 - S4 2005 -present

Comment

Okay so my spotter and I just finished painting our rifles yesterday and I think they turned out great! We followed the basic directions laid out in Grace's article, except we were working from guns already painted in sand/green colour. The other major difference was that because we work in a big City we wanted to go with a more urban camoflauge look. So we tried our best to make a digi-cam pattern. Judge for yourselves but for a first attempt we are really happy with them. Thanks again for the help.

Oh by the way, CMSHOOT I couldn't find denatured alcohol so I opted for a paint cleaning product called TSP. It's basically a degreaser not a stripper and I think it work great for us. It may be easier to find for most people. Anyway the pictures are below ( I may post more into a gallery later.)

Pete

Can't get my 4MB image to resize to fit in here ... I'll try to post it to a gallery in a few minutes
        - Pete -
        Ex Umbris Venimus

Comment

Let's try this ...
          Attached Files
          - Pete -
          Ex Umbris Venimus

Comment

Hey Pete,
            The prep has a lot more to do with how well the paint adheres to the rifle, then how it initially comes out, but I'd say from the looks of things, you guys did a great job, Bro.
            Respectfully,
            Harry
            "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
            "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
            "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

Thanks brother. Yeah we're pretty happy with them, but like anything you do for the first time we can already see things we'd like to change or do a ittle better. That's the fun part I guess is being able to just sart again whenever you want.

- Pete -
              Ex Umbris Venimus

Comment

Swathog,

That looks really good. Nice job bud.

V
                "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

I started going digital and ended up netting....

Savage Model 10 action
                  7mm 08 heavy barrel
                  Savage Tupperstock with aluminum rods glassed in to the forend to stiffen it. (B&C Medalist Tactical is coming soon.)
                  Tasco 6-24x42 Target/Varmint scope w mil dot retical.

Total investment is $325 or so. And it shoots 1/2MOA.

1*

Comment

Hey Brother,
                    Very good job! It's got that spattered/smeared with mud look, which is just about perfect
                    Respectfully,
                    Harry
                    "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
                    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
                    "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

I know this is an old topic, but I wanted to revive it to see if anyone could tell me : Did anyone observe a noticeable shift in your zero after painting/coating/or wrapping your rifle? I've heard a lot about things like this that can alter your barrel harmonics, but have never seen any data that displayed it.

We used to spray paint our duty rifles as needed, often on top of an old coat, and I personally never noticed more than a half MOA "unaccounted for" shift in accuracy, but this could have been from math errors or environmental shifts. Just wondering if anyone had hard data to share. thanks.

(PS: When I mentioned "wrapping" I was referring to those relatively new elastic/bandage type camo wraps that a few companies are selling now)

Comment

I've never noticed an appreciable shift in POI after painting, that's if the rifle wasn't disassembled/reassembled in the process. In that case, it's more than likely the disassembly/reassembly that caused the shift.

I have seen barrel wrapping cause a shift, usually minor though.
                        www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

[quote]
                          Here are a couple of pics of my Savage I did, using "Grace" as my guide:

Martin[/b]
                          Very cool.
                          Semper Fidelis

Comment

Im ALWAYS touching up an ak, or a related weapon. (I beat the Cr*p out of em!) Heres a great touch up for you guys. Get some AUTOMOTIVE EXHAUST MANIFOLD PAINT in a rattle can. (Rated at 2500 degrees) Let it dry well, it will have a deep flat black color to it, then, with a soft cloth such as your wifes best kitchen towel, Polish off the black "Dust". This finish very closely resembles the origional ak finish. Try it out! (Yet another 2 dollar redneck engineer fix!)

Comment

[quote]
                              I know this is an old topic, but I wanted to revive it to see if anyone could tell me : Did anyone observe a noticeable shift in your zero after painting/coating/or wrapping your rifle? I've heard a lot about things like this that can alter your barrel harmonics, but have never seen any data that displayed it.

We used to spray paint our duty rifles as needed, often on top of an old coat, and I personally never noticed more than a half MOA "unaccounted for" shift in accuracy, but this could have been from math errors or environmental shifts. Just wondering if anyone had hard data to share. thanks.

(PS: When I mentioned "wrapping" I was referring to those relatively new elastic/bandage type camo wraps that a few companies are selling now)[/b]
                              If your "Wrapping" the barrel, your CHANGING the barrel/stock float tolerances. Can you get a peice of paper all the way to the breach on that?

Comment

Working...
                              X