This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting your rifle

Here's one of the best resources I have ever come across for painting your stick:

http://www.gunnersgear.com/graces_camo/armory_cammo.htm
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Of course you could go to "Home Depot," by a can of paint and a roller, and just have at it! LOL

Just joking, I found this very informative "cmshoot," thanks for sharing...

Semper Fi!
    JS
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." -- Samuel Adams

"Those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security." -- Ben Franklin

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." --Thomas Jefferson

Any man or woman who may be asked in this century what they did to make life worthwhile in their lifetime....can respond with a great deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Marine Corps!"

Comment

Actually, this was written by one of the members "Grace". She does some danged fine work.

She was also gracious enough to let us post the information for further use when she shut down that part of her site.
      "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

pretty good. hows the durability? anyone know? also, is it heat resistant? just curious.

thanks.

Comment

That would depend on what materials you use.

Grace (and most of us) used Krylon and similar. Not the most durable, or heat resistant, but easy to touch up and change patterns to match different seasons and terrains. That way you're not stuck with a single pattern/color scheme.

Grace's post is more of directions in the proper techniques to get it to look right, not a treatise on the proper paint.
          www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Thanks for the info. The rifle does look good and the pattern and procedure is sound. I was just curious to know if there is a paint that is stronger and more durable than the powdercoating jobs. My powdercoater that has been doing my rifles can duplicate camo patterns and get them pretty darn close. just wondering if the paint was strong and what the tolerances are to heat? (most commonly used paint)

thanks

Comment

"grace" is awesome!!! Her rifle is one of the best I have ever seen, and she can shoot. Wonderful lady, and some great paint. I am working on one with her suggestions now. Once you have tried it and gotten it you will be forever spoiled
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
              -Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955

Here, hold my trophy while I kiss your girlfriend. -NoFear Gear 1996

They do not teach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose. They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their jobs when they dam'-well choose. As in the thronged and the lighted ways, so in the dark and desert they stand, Wary and watchful all their days that their brethren's day may be long in the land
              -Rudyard Kipling in "The Sons of Martha" (a poem about warriors

Comment

[quote]
                I was just curious to know if there is a paint that is stronger and more durable than the powdercoating jobs.[/b]

Duracoat is designed for firearms... I use it... Its billed as a elastic paint, meaning that it resists chipping and scratching. from what I've seen, it does.

Lauer Custom Weaponry

Their flagship product (duracoat) is applied w/ an airbrush or detail gun. Their other product is DuraBake which comes in aerosol can or liquid (airbrush) paint. But, ya gotta bake it.

Feel free to PM if you have more Q's. I've done about 15 or so paintjobs w/ Duracoat...

Comment

Hey grace,cmshoot, or flea. The epoxy coat from Brownells. Is it the Metal-Coat Epoxy #083-075-112? Matte. Just wondering. I dont want to get the wrong stuff. Did both rifles this past weekend all sand (tan) some black. Of course it looks nowhere as good as Grace's but I like it. I need to get the protective coating on them. Thanks Casey.
                  No man knows how bad he is, until he has tried very hard to be good.
                  C.S. Lewis

Comment

[quote]
                    . Did both rifles this past weekend all sand (tan) some black. Of course it looks nowhere as good as Grace's but I like it. I need to get the protective coating on them. Thanks Casey.[/b]
                    Pictures?

Comment

I am new to this board but have some expierence refinishing firearms and their related accessories.

I have used Moly, KG, DuraCoat, CeraKote, Polane T, AlumaHyde (not spelled right) and have settled on two that work the best for me. CeraKote & Polane T

DuraCoat is manufactured by Sherwin Williams under the name Polane T. I have used both and didnt believe it until I had the coatings side by side.

Polane T is a two part ambient cure coating with good wear and abrasion resistance. It can be mixed to any color in the spectrum and is the best thing for soft plastics like BC flip open caps and magpul rail panels, (There is a flex additive available that allows it to flex with out flaking. 90% of the camo work we do is in Polane. Becareful because the coating has a shelf life of one year and the hardener has a shelf life of 6 months.

CeraKote is available in ambient and thermal cured formulas. It is by far my favorite coating and is what most of my personal wepons are finished in. It is tough as nails, has a very flat appearance, and a almost stain feel when you run your hand across it. The thermal version has a shelf life of 1 year the ambient version has a shelf life of 6 months.

If you guys ever have any questions about prep, mixing, application of the coatings give me a call or send me an email. I'd be happy to get you pointed in the right direction.

Joe

My comntact info is on my website: L.T.M. Refinishing
                      Joe Larson
                      LTM Refinishing
                      www.larsontactical.com

Comment

I followed Grace's directions to a "T" (except that I used Rustoleum camo paint) and I think my rifle looks awsome. I'm not very artistic, but I was so impressed I did my shot gun and have a couple of people wanting me to do their guns. I'll try to add pics later.
                        Just trying to keep the world safe from Coyotes, Bobcats and dope fiends.

Comment

Well, I can't get them to load. it says they are too big. Another thing Grace was right on about was the protective coating. I tried it with out and pretty much had to start again from scratch. The paint just rubs off to easy, without it. I tried painting and then taking it out in the field, looked at it from different distances and enviroments. The blockiness seemed to stand out, finally I tried a very small pattern thing it would look like one solid color from a distance but it didn't. It looked the best and that's what I went with.
                          Just trying to keep the world safe from Coyotes, Bobcats and dope fiends.

Comment

Blue Deacon,

Send me the files, and I will resize and post them for you.
                            "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Here are a couple of pics of my Savage I did, using "Grace" as my guide:

Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X