AR-15's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR-15's?

Not trying to start a pissing match but I'm curious, if you had to choose 1 production AR what would you choose and why? Purposes would be Duty, truck gun, hunting, home defense, SHTF. With the system being able to reach 500yds. My choice would be a Daniel Defense V5 with a 1-4 power scope. What you think?
    " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
    '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

I was thinking .223/5.56 caliber only.

Comment

Colt.
      Everything else is just a copy.
      Now, many other manufacturers produce great AR's, but my first choice for quality would be Colt.
      "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

I use Daniel Defense and it's what I recommend to my students.

I like .223/5.56 in an M4. Ease of acquiring ammo, lightweight, accurate, and lethal with the proper load.

The fit, finish and quality are better than any of the M4's I've used at it's price point and below.

I've shot all the high-end, boutique M4's; Larue, Noveske, Sabre Defense, etc. I can't see or feel the difference in these M4's, that cost twice as much as the DD, and the targets down range didn't look any different when I was done.

I like to keep mine fairly simple. Collapsible stock, 1x red dot, BUIS, sling and a white light mounted at 12 o'clock. The light has to be easily ambidextrous. My favorite red dot is the Aimpoint Micro T1, but the other Aimpoints are excellent, as are the newer Eotechs with the transverse-mounted batteries.

I'm fine with a 1x red dot out to 500yds or so, so that's what I prefer. Yes, I could hit better at distance with a magnified optic, but then I'd be slower up close.......and I'm more worried about bad guys at 10yds than I am the ones at 300yds.

I greatly prefer a flash suppressor over a muzzle brake or compensator. Unless your AR is a dedicated competition tool, there is no reason to run a brake or comp on a centerfire .22. If you can't run double taps out past 50yds with a 5.56 and a flash suppressor, you need to hang it up and switch over to a Crosman. Brakes and comps have entirely too much muzzle flash for a combat weapon that statistically will be employed during periods of limited visibility. While I have by no means seen every flash suppressor at work, the best 2 I have found are a tie between the SEI Vortex and the AAC Blackout.

For a sling, either a single or 2-point sling is fine with me. I use a 2-point, but a single point is an equally valid choice. The single point is easy to use when switching shoulders/sides, the 2-point is more secure and out of the way when you're letting it hang and needing your hands for other tasks.
        www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Mine is a Noveske N4 Low Pro Light Recce; I am very happy with. It's boringly reliable, shoots well and the quality of manufacture is top notch. It's pretty straight forward, with nothing extra special; Aimpoint Micro T1 in LaRue mount, OTAL, Surefire torch, Noveske marked Troy folding BUIS, BFG Redi-mod, an ambi selector. I sling up with a Vickers Tactical 2 point sling wearing a 2 to 1 conversion loop.
          There are a number of top end makers out there these days. I wouldn't feel bad with any of the choices listed.
          "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
          "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
          "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

I've got a Franken "M4" with a DD barrel that shoots great. Good parts for less than a grand, including the PRO. My favorite is my Adams Arms PDW pistol with a Sig Brace though. Very compact, handy, and if you know how to shoot, just as effective at 300 yards as an "M4".
            "No sword? Use a stick. No stick? Use a rock. No rock? Use your fists and feet! Lose your life, but make the enemy pay!"

Comment

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those choices.

Comment

I have a BCM with a Accupoint 1-4x on it. It has the light weight hammer forged barrel. It seems to be a very reliable and accurate rifle. I quite enjoy shooting it.

Then on the other end of the spectrum. I have a franken AR I build with Delton and Bushmaster parts that has over 15,000 rounds through it and it have been extremely reliable and done very well for me. Its on its third barrel. IT has a IOR 4x scope on it and it has been great as well.

There are lots and lots of good options available now. Many shooters will never shoot more than 2000 or 3000 rounds out of an AR. So the cheaper off the shelf rifles are a great choice.
                Last edited by supertool73; 12-29-2014, 07:42 PM.
                Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Comment

Definitely nothing wrong with building your own.

By far, the AR's that I see with issues in my classes are ones that were DIY-built, or heavily modified "gamer's guns".

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Does Colt even make AR's anymore????

Production would have to be a sweet Noveske or DD SBR.

Comment

I'm very disappointed in Colt's "civilian" AR's. Their LE/military stuff is great......their civilian stuff is way over priced for what you get.

Comment

This is my go to AR. That used to be my ACOG. Til I let my wife try it, then it was mine no more.
                        Last edited by supertool73; 12-30-2014, 07:44 PM.
                        Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Comment

A Muddy Girl would set that off

Originally posted by cmshoot View Post
                          I'm very disappointed in Colt's "civilian" AR's. Their LE/military stuff is great......their civilian stuff is way over priced for what you get.
                          I sure like my HBAR Match
                          Last edited by Jester896; 12-30-2014, 08:13 PM.
                          "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Got Janice some Muddy girl mag wraps.
                            "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Working...
                            X