This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bipod Lock

Here's a how-to that I thought folks might be interested in. I can't take credit for the idea of the "build your own" bipod lock, I saw the idea here somewhere in a post which I can no longer find.

The build-your-own lock consists of only 2 parts, and takes less than 15 minutes to install. You will need to order one each of the following from http://www.mcmaster.com :

64835K32 Die Cast Zinc Teardrop Adjustable Handle 10-32 Threaded Insert, .32" Thread Depth, Black $5.00/ea

93013A220 Black-Finish Aluminum Unthreaded Round Spacer 3/8" OD, 1/4" Length, #10 Screw Size, .192" ID $1.05/ea

Note that when I ordered these parts, shipping was an outrageous $10+ on the order. If you can find some buddies to go in with you, you can amortize the shipping cost over several sets, which could get the price down to about $7-$8 per set.

The only tool you will need to install this bipod lock is a 1/4-inch scoket to remove the retaining nut for the original thumbscrew.

Before you start, the original Harris bipod thumbnut assembly will look like this:

[attachment=2722:attachment]

Remove the hex nut in the center of thumbnut, then unscrew the thumbnut and remove it. Note that on the other end of the screw the thumbnut was on is a cross drilled hole with a pin through it. When you remove the thumbnut, that pin can fall out. Be careful not to lose it.

Once you have removed the thumbnut, the bipod should look like this:

[attachment=2723:attachment]

Now, take the spacer and slip it over the exposed screw. The spacer keeps the locking lever away from the bipod body, and also makes the exposed thread length correct for the threaded hole in the locking lever:

[attachment=2724:attachment]

Now simply screw the locking lever onto the exposed part of the locking screw. DO NOT use an allen wrench to turn the socket head fastener in the middle of the lever. This fastener just retains the ratchet of the lever, and you will break it if you over torque it (I speak from experience ). You might have to fiddle with the pin I warned you about above, in order to make sure it is seated correctly in the slots it fits in. Once you are done, the bipod should look like this:

[attachment=2725:attachment]

That's all there is to it!

Finally, the cool thing about these levers is that they are spring loaded with a ratchet type mechanism (althtough they do not ratchet like a ratchet you would use on a socket). To adjust the position of the locking lever, simply pull it toward you to disengage it, rotate it to where you want it, then let it go. You should be able to find a position where you can just move the lever a small bit to unlock the bipod, but will leave the lever out of the way in the locked position.

Cheers,
    --Hawk
    Attached Files
    There are few problems a well-placed 308 cannot cure. --- Hawk

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room! --- President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove

Rocket Science is much more fun when you actually have rockets! --- USN Recruiting Commercial

A little revolution now and then is a good thing --- Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen an end to war --- Plato

"In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine & Berkeley, Patty Hurst, heard the burst, of Roland's Thompson gun & bought it!!!" --- The Late Warren Zevon, Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner

In the 1500's, the Roman Catholic Church sold indulgences to forgive sin. In the 21st century, we call these carbon offsets. ---Hawk

�Fight like a man, so you will not have to die like a dog� --- Calico Jack Rackham's Mistress

Good post and some good info.
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

I was able to do this to a few of my Harris bipods while i was home. Great set up, at an affordable price.

Comment

Some of the guys @ ar15.com started buying a bunch of these parts from T-Nuts.com. The owner of the site started wondering why he was suddenly selling so many of these and contacted one of them which led to him posting in the thread there about it and then setting up a package for these on his website HERE with a choice of handle material.

I think I paid about $11 for 2 sets

ETA: Yup here's my full price for 2 sets.

2 x BPL-Nylon/Steel (BPL-N) = $10.72
        Spacers 2
        ------------------------------------------------------
        Sub-Total: $10.72
        USA, Standard Shipping, Uninsured (USPS: First Class or Priority): $1.26
        Total: $11.98

Comment

Thanks for the link!
          "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."
          Leo Tolstoy

Comment

I got a couple from T_Nuts, great to deal with and more choices. I am not a believer in xinc as it is not very strong (pot metal) so I got the polymer ones.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
            -Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955

Here, hold my trophy while I kiss your girlfriend. -NoFear Gear 1996

They do not teach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose. They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their jobs when they dam'-well choose. As in the thronged and the lighted ways, so in the dark and desert they stand, Wary and watchful all their days that their brethren's day may be long in the land
            -Rudyard Kipling in "The Sons of Martha" (a poem about warriors

Comment

[quote]
              Thanks for the link![/b]

No Problem. I've been lurking here long enough, stealing info from this great site and felt "Woot! I finally have something to give back"

Comment

wow...friggin' awesome post. i have been wanting to do this for awhile now, just too lazy to do the homework anymore... hooah to the effort. i am on the bandwagon

Comment

I just ordered two sets from T-Nut.com-- and the guy is going to deliver it himself! Talk about service. Guess his shop is aound here and he wants to take a drive up the hill to get out of the SMOG--- Pick some apples--- or rasberries-- or something-- either way I get a smoking deal!
                  Once again thanks for the link!
                  Leo Tolstoy

Comment

[quote]
                    I just ordered two sets from T-Nut.com-- and the guy is going to deliver it himself! Talk about service. Guess his shop is aound here and he wants to take a drive up the hill to get out of the SMOG--- Pick some apples--- or rasberries-- or something-- either way I get a smoking deal!
                    Once again thanks for the link![/b]
                    I only live down the road from you. Literally. By the freeway.
                    And thanks for the raspberry reminder, I do need to go up and get some o'them too!

A better link to use is one without the long string of numbers on it:
                    T-Nuts Bipod Locks

Not that it matters much, the numbers just belong to the person's current visit.
                    One thing MudBug didn't mention is that his price shown "with 2 spacers" is a whole set of 2 levers and 4 spacers (2 spacers each lever). Get THAT price from McMaster-Carr, I dare ya!

--the Nut

[quote]
                    I got a couple from T_Nuts, great to deal with and more choices. I am not a believer in xinc as it is not very strong (pot metal) so I got the polymer ones.[/b]
                    Shucks, forgot to mention in my other post....
                    The nylon is half the weight too!
                    You'll hurt your hand before you hurt the glass-reinforced nylon. I just put all options there so you guys have choices.

Comment

Thanks all for the pointers to T-Nut's bidness. Had I known about it, I certainly would have listed it in my "How To" article.

Cheers,
                      --Hawk
                      There are few problems a well-placed 308 cannot cure. --- Hawk

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room! --- President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove

Rocket Science is much more fun when you actually have rockets! --- USN Recruiting Commercial

A little revolution now and then is a good thing --- Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen an end to war --- Plato

"In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine & Berkeley, Patty Hurst, heard the burst, of Roland's Thompson gun & bought it!!!" --- The Late Warren Zevon, Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner

In the 1500's, the Roman Catholic Church sold indulgences to forgive sin. In the 21st century, we call these carbon offsets. ---Hawk

�Fight like a man, so you will not have to die like a dog� --- Calico Jack Rackham's Mistress

Comment

OOPS, I guess I ordered some extra spacers. Considering how I lose stuff though, I just may need them.

Comment

Hi guys!

I am going to order one of these kits from t-nut, and I noticed that on tnuts catalog it says "3/16 spacer" and in the original post, it is 3/8 od x 1/4. Will either spacer work? Or is 3/16 the I.D. ? Sorry for the probably dumb question but I don't know too much about nut/bolt/washer sizes....

Thanks!

Comment

Ya it'll work fine-- I just got done putting a set on, like an hour ago. He sends two spacers in the kit-- one as a back-up I guess. I highly recommend the guy. Very cool-- seems like he really wants to support the "sport". Once you log on he has many options, but the glass-reinforced nylon-- is the way to go (at least for me). You can really crank it down and it feels solid. I like the ratchet style on it as well.

I'm very happy with it.

Later---
                            Leo Tolstoy

Comment

[quote]
                              Hi guys!

I am going to order one of these kits from t-nut, and I noticed that on tnuts catalog it says "3/16 spacer" and in the original post, it is 3/8 od x 1/4. Will either spacer work? Or is 3/16 the I.D. ? Sorry for the probably dumb question but I don't know too much about nut/bolt/washer sizes....

Thanks![/b]
                              3/16" long x #10 hole x 3/8 OD. This spacer was specifically chosen to match this lever set (any of the 4) and the Harris Bipod stud. It works.

Comment

Working...
                              X