This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GS05 Gunslinger

Ok guys, as JP pointed out, I promised a review, and here it is.

I got my gunslinger a couple of weeks ago and have had a few chances to take it out and use it. Today I had it out again, and made a point to get some detailed pictures of the features and details.

Stand disclaimers apply, I don't work for, with, or sell these packs, nor do I play a ruck on TV.

From Eberlestocks Website.

The new GS05M Gunslinger is a 2900 cubic inch pack, with extraordinary features that set it apart from any other mid-size pack. The Backscabbard™ is wide enough to hold any type of rifle, including assault rifles and rifles with large scopes (DPMS .308 LRR with Leupold 6.5-20 x 50 LR/T shown at left; it drops right in and slips right out).

The Gunslinger is compact and excellent for rappelling. SWAT Teams will find it useful for carriage of a smoke launcher, or for carriage of a second weapon for the Entry Team. Other features include full side access to the main compartment, hydration bladder housings, multiple pockets with varied sizes and configurations, fully padded harness and back padding, and external compression straps.[/b]
    Ok, the factory stuff is out of the way and I'm not going to duplicate pics or details that are available there. Let's get to details.

$this->unconvert_size(36pt;line-height:100%">The Pack.</span>

[attachment=2631:attachment]

After the fund raiser thread, I had to change to a side view picture.
    Loading the mother up.

[attachment=2620:attachment] [attachment=2621:attachment]

The top opening is a drawcorded water proof (resistant?) opening with plenty of room. The pack also has a zippered opening on the right side of the pack for access to stuff at the bottom without digging it all out from the top. The inside of the pack is lined with a reflective type lining for visibility. There are two bladder pouches (100 oz) with openings at the top sides to route the drinking tubes out and routers and clips on the harness on each shoulder strap to guide and hold the tubes.

There are two horizontal compression straps that wrap around the back of the pack, and a verticle one that holds the top flap shut.

Additional storage.

Back of pack.

[attachment=2622:attachment][attachment=2623:attachment]

The back of the pack has two pockets, a slider type suitable for targets, maps, etc and a zippered pocket for smaller items with a clip for keys, etc. This pocket has a reflective type lining for easy visibility. There is an elastic corded open top pocket on the left side bottom, which works real well for my tripod which is held in place by the lower compression strap. The back, bottom and sides of the pack are covered with molle points.

Pack Flap pockets.

[attachment=2625:attachment] [attachment=2626:attachment] [attachment=2627:attachment]

There are two pockets in the top flap itself. A smaller zippered pocket towards the back side of the pack that is lined with a soft dark material. My flight gloves fit in there perfectly. The larger pocket opening is toward the front side of the pack, by the scabbard, and takes three boxes of ammo with no problem. The top flap has bunches of molle attachments as well..

The Scabbard.

[attachment=2628:attachment] [attachment=2629:attachment]

The scabbard works great. The top cover in the first picture is what distinguishes the GS05 from earlier models. The top cover attaches with four covered fastex buckles, two in the front and two in the back. They have opposite buckle arrangements so the top will only go one way. If the pack is being used without the cover, the fasteners can be snapped on both sides of the weapon to retain it in the center of the pack, and keep in in place in case of an uplanned acrobatic demonstration. Both the scabbard and the cover are very lightly padded. Not to the point of being spongy, but a minimal protective padding.

With my 24" barreled Savage in the scabbard there is about 1.5 - 2 inches of the cover down in the scabbard itself. If you have a longer barrel with a long stock configuration, there may be some gap between the bottom of the cover and the top of the scabbard, but there is plenty of strap length for adjustment.

The second picture is the zipper at the bottom of the scabbard for drainage and cleaning it out when necessary. The fastex buckle seen in front of the zipper is used when the scabbard is not being used. The scabbard bottom folds up and back into the pack and the buckles hold it up in the stowed position.

You can also see the packs carry handle in the picture. This is the one point that gives me pause. It seems a little narrow for when the pack is really loaded up. I don't have any reason to think it won't hold up, it just feels like the weakest link. I have to say I have used it to load and unload the pack from the both the truck and my car trunk several times with no problems, and it is very handy for that. I guess I would just like a wider handle*.

Note: Glen fixed this on the newer models based on the feedback received from users, The new models have a much thicker padded carry handle on top. This was after I bought mine though.

Carrying this bad boy.

The Harness.

[attachment=2632:attachment]

The harness is very well thought out, comfortable, and adjustable to just about any body configuration. The shoulder straps can be moved up and down to suit the user and has a chest strap. The waist belt is removable if so desired. The shoulder straps are adjustable to put the pack where you want it, and the angle of the pack to the body can be adjusted by straps at the top rear of the harness where it attaches to the pack. I found that I liked the weight on my hips and the top of the pack in tight. The adjustments really came in handy with different loads and no water bladders vice two full ones.

There are aluminum internal stays that can be reformed to suit the individual user as well. The back padding is firm, and well ventilated with an ample lumbar pad. I loaded the pack with as much heavy stuff as I could, my rifle and two full bladders and went for a walk about through the timber. It was a very comfortable hike. The gun was solidly in place and not swinging around, and I did not feel top heavy when bending over. Well, not as much as some bags do. I never felt like I was going to "turtle" if you know what I mean.

<span style="font-size:36, Synopsis)

All in all, I like this piece of gear. It seems solidly built, and the pockets and access points are well thought out, it seems very versatile. With all of the pockets and molle points, you could add enough pouches to this that I couldn't carry it. It is working well for me, and I love grabbing one bag to go shoot.

The only things I would change, the top carry handle could be widened a bit, and I like pack shoulder straps to have a quick release buckle on at least one side.
    Attached Files
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Nice write up! Very informative! One question though-- the pocket with the "soft black" materal-- is it big enough for my 10x40 binoc's? or is it just big enough for sun glasses and the like?

Does the pack have a pocket that is big enough to fit a peir of bino's?

It seems like a nice pack... I am looking for one in Khaki--- maybe I will call the manufacturer. As Celt only has OD at the moment.

Thanks for the outstanding review and your time!
    Joe
    "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."
    Leo Tolstoy

Comment

Hey Guys,
      I WANT ONE...in Multicam ! I already dropped the email. He left me with the impression that it will happen , just didn't say when ... maybe if a few more folks were emailing ...
      Respectfully,
      Harry PS
      Great Review, Bro! I pinned it so it won't get lost...
      "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
      "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

I have had one for a few months now and the pack is the heat!!!

We tried for a long time while on active duty to geta pack that could do this for us while on operations.

This pack is too small for active military.

There is another that is bigger and he is taking that into production here very soon.
        Its called the all in one pack!!!

I currently use the gunslinger for matches and range use, and I think its a great piece of gear!!

Comment

I was one of the first with the new tan color and absolutely love this pack. Comments were left on there website,
          Phil

Comment

Thanks for the kind words on the review and the pinning of the post.

Phil, oh, you're that SGT. Nice writeup.

JP, the soft pocket is just over 3 inches deep and the width of the pack flap. I would think a small pair of 10x40's would fit. If you want you can mail them to me and I'll check for ya. They have the tan ones on the website.

I agree, this is a great range/competition pack. I am really happy with this pack, I waffled forever and couldn't make up my mind. I actually had another pack on order, but after talking to Glen, I canceled that one and ordered this.
            "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Comment

i have one in OD. it is a good piece of gear. i think i have the '04 style since i don't have that top flap for the buttstock, it's just open. i do like it for going to the range and would be good for hunting but you're right about it being to small for military work. i'm going to use it for the Rifles Only match.

--KJ
              Team Blaster4
              USMC

Comment

Want to buy a kifaru with the gun sling attachment and do a head to head? hehe, its only money right? Anyway Im still saving my nickels and dimes for a pack, haven't decide, but I figure if I just save I can decide when I have enough to purchase.
                "Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a War!" George S. Patton

Everything I needed to know about islam I learned on 9/11.

Comment

One cheaper option that still has pack straps is the TacForc drag bag. I have one and love it. If there is any interest, I'll do a review with pix. Price runs around $95+shipping. It has enough pockets on the outside for my logbook, big Kowa spotter with tripod, several boxes of ammo, and a few other little odds and ends. Inside there is a separate pocket for the bolt, and tie-down straps for the gun.

Cheers,
                  --Hawk
                  There are few problems a well-placed 308 cannot cure. --- Hawk

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room! --- President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove

Rocket Science is much more fun when you actually have rockets! --- USN Recruiting Commercial

A little revolution now and then is a good thing --- Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen an end to war --- Plato

"In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine & Berkeley, Patty Hurst, heard the burst, of Roland's Thompson gun & bought it!!!" --- The Late Warren Zevon, Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner

In the 1500's, the Roman Catholic Church sold indulgences to forgive sin. In the 21st century, we call these carbon offsets. ---Hawk

�Fight like a man, so you will not have to die like a dog� --- Calico Jack Rackham's Mistress

Comment

at least post some pics of it Hawk. if you don't mind
                    Team Blaster4
                    USMC

Comment

Will do. Things at work are really ramping up for the next couple of weeks, but I should be able to get something put together by the end of the weekend.

Cheers,
                      --Hawk
                      There are few problems a well-placed 308 cannot cure. --- Hawk

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room! --- President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove

Rocket Science is much more fun when you actually have rockets! --- USN Recruiting Commercial

A little revolution now and then is a good thing --- Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen an end to war --- Plato

"In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine & Berkeley, Patty Hurst, heard the burst, of Roland's Thompson gun & bought it!!!" --- The Late Warren Zevon, Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner

In the 1500's, the Roman Catholic Church sold indulgences to forgive sin. In the 21st century, we call these carbon offsets. ---Hawk

�Fight like a man, so you will not have to die like a dog� --- Calico Jack Rackham's Mistress

Comment

[/b]
                        I feel your pain brother. My wife will let me get away with one of something, but if two showed up I'd be a dead man.

I really looked hard at the Kirafu, I like the gunbearer option. It wasn't a good option for transport though. With the top cover on the gs05, I think it meets the Illinois criteria for a case. Made for a rifle, and the rifle is completely covered. It works for me anyway.
                        It is the most comfortable pack I have ever carried. I am more and more impressed everytime I use it. I may have to get the wife one for Christmas. Multicam huh? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

"Here honey, I'm SURE you'll love this..."
                          "Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a War!" George S. Patton

Everything I needed to know about islam I learned on 9/11.

Comment

Hey Tony,

Not to enter the fight here or anything, but I wanted to point out that not big enough for active duty depends upon the mission. We've shipped a good portion of our current inventory to Ft. Campbell; the 5SFG scout/snipers have told us that this is the best piece of equipment they've gotten, well, we'll just say in recent memory. If you're carrying 3 or 4 weapons, it's nice to have something to help you to organize them, to quiet them down, and to give quick access. The feedback from these guys has been pretty extraordinary; they've told us in no uncertain terms that the Gunslinger adds value to their missions. Granted, it's not a monster pack, but there's a full complement of MOLLE to add external stuff to; other than that, this particular design is focused on agility, not on freight hauling. And anyway, as you said, chances are pretty good that if people out there want a bigger pack, we might have one in the stable that's waiting for its turn at the races...

Thanks Vince, Tony, and the rest of you for putting the word out about the pack. I normally wouldn't throw my hat in the ring, but I wanted to let you all know that yes, this thing is for real, and there are real world missions happening right now that make this much more than a range bag.

Cheers, and
                            "Lots o' Luck"
                            Glen E.

Comment

[quote]
                              Want to buy a kifaru with the gun sling attachment and do a head to head? hehe, its only money right?[/b]

Right!! So my MMR should be coming in some time in the next couple of weeks. Ill make sure and through some pics and possibley a small review of the pack out there for you guy's to read. I got the gun carrier option as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X