Target cam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target cam

Seems that sometimes I have too many ideas and only enough time to carry out the worst of them. This is something that guy named Poikma at out forum started by making his own version. So as I got almost all the needed components already I made one too. Basically the idea is to put a CCTV-camera near the target and get the picture to the shooter somehow. So to the target you need a camera and a transmitter, to the shooters end a receiver and a monitor - and of course batteries to both ends.

So I bought a camera and a transmitter/receiver-combo, used a 15,4" screen from my old laptop which was otherwise fine, except the HDD(PATA) that had broken and I couldn't get new one. Few years back I got an aluminium case from a competition which had been sitting in a corner since and thought that could be nice cover for the stuff. With wooden decor I got everything neetly inside the case and used plexi glass to cover them. Without paint it looked kinda bad.
    [attachment=16925SC01216a.jpg]
    But with little paint - good enough...
    [attachment=16926SC01219a.jpg]
    So far I've oly tested it up to 500m, but I hope it'll work up to 1000m. I could also get another transmitter/receiver-combo as a relay station if needed. Anyways I tested it with my .22 this weekend. Figured that if I can see those hits I'd probably see the bigger holes too.
    Here's the video from the testing...
    Attached Files
    - Greetings, Kosanderi

Finnish Sniper Guild
    Big Bore Club
    Toiminta-ampujat

Very nice! Curious to see how far away it works for you.

I always used steel for distance targets, but this definitely works for folks that can't.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

nice, do you think you'll be able to post tests ?
      " IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, USE DUCT TAPE !" said Uncle Bowe

Comment

You can find some good examples on YouTube:

Target Cam

Target Cam

Target Cam
        "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Looks like the next time I get to shoot longer than 500m will be at the end of next month or so. We usually shoot steel targets there too, but I'll probably try this camera thingy there too. Distance will be around 800m or so. Meanwhile I could test it at some quiet straight road if I could find one. I'll let you know how this turns out...

Anyways mirage at that range can be quite the pain in the neck:

Scope cam
          (not my upload, but I filmed this - so I suppose I can link it)

So even though I've spotted 30 cal hits from a paper at that range you can pretty much imagine that with this mirage that's kinda impossible.

Thanks for the links - I did check up Bullseye camera systems and Targetcams websites before but I didn't really want to use that much money in this project. Besides those cams only had about 5-6 hours usable time before recharging. So everything worth doing is worth overdoing and there were only these unused 17Ah lead-acid batteries. In one test only 1 battery ran the whole set. After 16 hours it was still running and I thought it was enough. Obviously in real use there are 2 batteries.
          - Greetings, Kosanderi

Finnish Sniper Guild
          Big Bore Club
          Toiminta-ampujat

Comment

Sounds like a great project, Kosanderi.
            I've seen pictures of ranges in Switzerland which have cam systems that mark, score, and average all kinds of data from the target. Very sophisticated.
            "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Nice setup. A friend of mine has one, can't remember the brand but it is pretty sweet.
              " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
              '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

Ok,
                Just got back from the 750m(820yds) range. Basically nothing else to report than it works with that distance. I tried to take videos and photos with another camera, but thanks to the bright sunlight reflecting from everything autofocus in that damn thing failed big time. Naturally the display could be more bright in such occations. Also my shooting was so bad that I probably wouldn't dare to release such footage anyways .

.30" and 6,5mm bullet holes were quite visible even though I had to leave the target camera about 12 meters away from the target. 27x optical zoom is nice, but with smaller magnification quality of the picture is better.

Meanwhile I found couple cheap 16dpi Yagi-antennas. Could be fun to test how much further the connection works between those than the 8dpi omnidirectional antennas that I use now.
                - Greetings, Kosanderi

Finnish Sniper Guild
                Big Bore Club
                Toiminta-ampujat

Comment

Working...
                X