This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range with a variable SFP scope at powers other than the pre-set

You can range at any power on an SFP. It adds one additional step to your equation.

Say you have a 6x-24x scope that is set to range at 14x from the factory, and you want to range on 24x, here's what ya do:

Range as you normally would. Take the mil reading and divide it by 1.71. Then factor the new mil reading into the standard formula.

1.71 is obtained by dividing 24x by 14x: 24 / 14 = 1.71. You divide the power you want to range with by the pre-set ranging power.

You can use this method for any power on your scope, i.e., if you want to range on 20x: 20 / 14 = 1.43

So, you have a known target size of 20". You range and get a reading of 2.225 mils. Your formula when ranging at 14x would be:

(Size target in inches X 27.778) / mils = distance in yards

(20 x 27.778) / 2.225 = 250 yards

If you were ranging at 24x, take your mil reading of 2.225 and divide by 1.71: 2.225 / 1.71 = 1.3 is your new mil reading.

The formula would be: (20 x 27.778) / 1.3 = 427 yards

Easy thing to do is to go ahead and figure out the adjustments ahead of time and right 'em down. For an SFP scope set to range at 14x, they are:

15x: 1.07
    16x: 1.14
    17x: 1.21
    18x: 1.29
    19x: 1.36
    20x: 1.43
    21x: 1.5
    22x: 1.57
    23x: 1.64
    24x: 1.71
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

The only problem I see is what if 14x on your dial is not really 14x. Could make your results off some.
    Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Comment

The assumption in Shep's post is that when you mounted and zeroed your new scope, you verified the power, mil, and clicks with the range pole.
      "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Exactly.........ya gotta know your equipment.
        www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

[quote]
          Exactly.........ya gotta know your equipment.[/b]

Amen!
          Deo vindice
          The purpose of fighting is to win!
          There is no possible victory in defense.
          The sword is more important than the shield,
          and skill is more important than either.
          The final weapon is the brain.
          All else is supplemental.

"This home is protected by the good Lord and a gun.
          If you come around here unwanted you'll get to meet both".
          ) Josh Thompson

Comment

I just wanted to clarify that assumption for other readers who may not have realized that could be a problem.
            Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
            X