Clear All

http://powdervalleyinc.com/
    wolf primer are here

Comment

Powdervalleyinc still has them in stock

Comment

Tasco,
        Great find!

Has anyone loaded pistol ammo with Wolf Primers before? What were the results?
        CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

Plan for what CAN happen, not what HAS happened.
        --CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
        --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Freedom Gunworks just got Winchester Large Rifle, and Wolf Large Pistol

(Still really want to find out if those wolf large pistol are worth getting.)
          CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

Plan for what CAN happen, not what HAS happened.
          --CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
          --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

powdervalley still has some wolf instock

Comment

For those of you wondering about the Wolf primers, I have some results for you. I gave a few 1000 to a couple friends to do some testing with, unfortunately these were all pistol tests.

Guy #1 uses an old 1911A1 pistol with a severely bobbed hammer in .45ACP.
              Guy #2 is using them in an Open Division gun with slow burning pistol powders.
              Guy #3 runs them in a Glock (with trigger job) and AR15 for 3 Gun.

1 and 2 ran extensive tests including accuracy and chrono tests. They compared them against several other names of primers and the Wolf far out shined them in terms of in terms of accuracy and chrono numbers. If you go to Benchrest central, search "German Salazar and Wolf" and you'll get all the info you need on using them in precision rifle applications.

Guy #3 had 2 primers fail to fire. Upon inspecting them they had a primer dimple but failed to fire. He put them back in the gun and they fired. He has no failures to fire in the AR. The consensus on those 2 were that maybe they didn't get seated properly or the light striker in the Glock might have caused it.

This is what I can tell you about the Wolf. The Wolf primers are made in Russia in the factory formerly known as PMC. Some of you might know about the famed PMC primers, G. David Tubb swore by then and made them hugely popular in the States. PMC mysteriously closed and 2 years later was re-opened by Wolf. Some of the issues caused by these primers with handloaders are due to their slightly larger cup. The cup thickness on them is .00075" (3/4 of a thousandth) thicker than most common primers and this causes them to be a little stiffer when seating. This difficulty in seating has caused some folks to not get them seated all the way against the anvil when using progressive machines and in turn they have light strikes. This is typically only a problem in handguns as a rifle will drive the primer on down and still cook it off.

The Wolf Large Rifle Magnums are EXCELLENT primers for slow burning primers in the .338LM, 300RUM, Short Magnums, and other magnum calibers. Don't hesitate to use the Wolf. And just an FYI, the Wolf DO cost a little more than domestic primers, which can be seen on Powder Valley. We sell all of our primers for the same price, we just make less on the Wolf. We go through about 500,000 primers a month so just because you don't see them on our website today doesn't mean they wont be there tomorrow. On our website, you have the option to register an account. Once you do, you get email alerts when we have powder and primers show up. Currently, we have about 5 million primers on back order and we get some every month. Register an account and you'll know when primers or powder show up. We just got in a 320 lb shipment of powder the other day so our inventory is always changing but we keep the website current and as accurate as possible.
              Bobby Keigans
              Desert Tactical Arms Dealer featuring custom caliber conversions.
              www.ThePracticalMarksman.com
              www.FreedomGunworks.com

Comment

Hi Kgunz11,

Is it possible for you to post some of the chrono numbers these folks have developed?

Thanks, Vern
                "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

Vern,

I didn't really write the numbers down. Guy #1 is local and he came in the store and gave me his figures, #2 and #3 live in Alabama and shoot at a club that I shoot at for USPSA matches. They communicated those numbers to me via phone or at the monthly match. Can get those numbers if you like. Velocities weren't anything abnormal, just stupidly consistent providing single digit SD and ES in the low teens.

For the rifle stuff, I got a lot of my information from personal use and from a local long range shooter named John Whidden. John actually turned me on to the Wolf primers about a year and 1/2 ago. He gave me some samples and told me not to adjust my powder (Varget), just replace the primer (210M) in my normal load with the Wolf. 100 yard zero stayed the same and velocity was right on par with my normal load. Accuracy was still 1/2 MOA or better.

In the 338 though, using the Wolf LRM primers I did actually see a 25 fps increase in MV. I attribute this to a little hotter ignition which helps light off the large column of slower burning powder.
                  Bobby Keigans
                  www.FreedomGunworks.com

Comment

I guess that's John Whidden of Whidden Gunworks in Nashville, GA?
                    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

That would be him. John lives an hour East of me and has done a lot of gunsmithing work for me. One of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned was smithed by John. It's been scary accurate every time I've shot it and it never ceases to amaze me. Every Sunday a group gathers at John's place to shoot on his 1k range. He has working pits which gives us instant feedback on the shot. Shooter sends it, target goes down and comes up with a spotter in the target, repeat. I've learned a lot from shooting along side John. Even burned out a 308 bbl at his place learning to dope the wind and shooting every weekend.
                      Bobby Keigans
                      www.FreedomGunworks.com

Comment

found some CCI BR2 in a Gander Mountain. However, the one in Greensboro NC is now all out, thanks to me!

Comment

Working...
                        X