Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuf -- see my link somewhere in this thread.

Harbort Freight started carrying the unit I got from ebay shortly after the article was published..bout 70$

Celtic -- you covered a lot of ground.

I still use the Clean and Shiney proc. and haven't found anything to beat it...

JB

Comment

Update on Drying Cases in Toaster Oven:

I have had problems with 2 or 3 cases in each batch of 50 still having a little water inside them when drying in a toaster oven at 300 degrees farenheit for 15minutes. I increased the drying time to an hour and everything comes out bone dry (30 min would probably do it too).

I was concerned that the heating may result in some brass distortion. I measured runout at the midpoint of the neck on a batch of 50 cases and they averaged about .0005-.00075, so I'm quite happy.

Having fired cased that were "baked" to dry them using hot loads, I can confirm that there was no annealing of the brass at 300 degrees farenheit.

--Rootshot
      "But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!" Friedrich Nietzsche, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Chapter 29

Comment

OK
        have to admit I was skeptical, but was will to try based on all info.
        It works very well the only thing I did was ensure my beaker(glass coffee pot) was not in contact with tank.
        This made a huge difference on the cleaning ability, decreases noise level to nothing.
        Suspending the beaker works so good you can actually feel the effect on your finger when dipped in water of beaker.
        I was unable to find beaker anywhere locally, but the small 4 cup coffee pots fit perfect

Jedi

Comment

CelticRavenVa,

Thanks for posting this! Finally some useful info! I HATE having to do primer pockets after tumbling. What brand of ionic doohickey is that?

Comment

Travis, well I am not C. Raven, but I wrote the article...

The unit he has pictured has no specific branding, and is the same one that I have used for the article as well as used very hard over the past year. you can find it all over eBay, or more recently at Harbor Freight.

With smart bidding you can get one to your door for under 50$ from eBay.

Jason

Comment

FYI Guys...if you are unable to get the Birchwood Casey Case Cleaner that I recommended in the article, I am doing a Group Buy NOW.

So please follow the link and post your needs if you want some.

6mmBR.com Forum

Thanks,
              Jason

Comment

Travis,
                Sorry I missed your first msg. Mine is the Cheap one from Taiwan off Ebay. LIke $50 or something like that. JB is correct. We talked quite a bit when I first started working on this and a lot of his knowledge went into this as well.
                CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

Plan for what CAN happen, not what HAS happened.
                --CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
                --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

So I had the grand ole ultrasonic cleaner fired up today... Over time in this process I have found a few things very interesting.

In recent weeks I have been working on reloading, .223 ammo like mad, I have been getting brass from LOTS of sources as well. Most of it Lake City. After sorting by year, de-capping it and running it though the ultrasonic, I have found a few interesting things.

It is a great tool to do case inspection! When I first got the brass I went though it and pitched about 5% of the almost 700 pieces I was given. Well I have now gone though just one year in the ultrasonic, and I have thrown out another 5% of them, because of issues I found covered up by carbon, that were invisible. I have found evidence of case head separation, and split necks. I plan on inspecting all of the brass when I get to resizing with the small base die, soon as I figure out how to set it up and will post more on this later.

There is a thing as to clean. In a conversation I had with federal the other day I also discussed when they prepare brass, and how the protect it from corrosion. They actually tumble it similar to what we do, in their manufacturing process, and they have a treated media.... I have noticeed that cases prepared in these methods tend to be very suseptable corrosion from even handing them, they end up with fingerprints. After I put them thought the Ultra sonic cleaner using ISO brass, I now run them though the tumbler for an hour to restore that protective coating.
                  CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

--CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
                  --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

CR - the BC cleaner has an anti-corrosive in it.

JB

Comment

Hey there Jason, good hearing from you, and hope all is well. I have not tried the BC stuff yet, but will be giving it a go after this ISSO is gone. I am also going to mess with your quick and clean method.
                      CelticRaven

--CelticRaven

--Thomas Jefferson

Comment

CR - Same to you

I would suggest you stick with the BC regimen...easier to not screw things up this way. If the baking soda mix isn't quite right with the other proc. you can oxid. the brass and kind of "etch" the brass. This makes primer seating near impossible...

Sticking with the proc. using the BC cleaner will avoid this totally.

I may have an extra bottle of the BC cleaner if you can't find any.

JB

Comment

Based on the previous thread I just posted in, I wanted to make a quick update with the procedure I use to make sure you get the best life out of the cases. I don't have a ton of time for some explanation, but have been using this for several years now and have had wonderful success.

I so the basic list of what I have used is the same....

1. Media Tumbler - with the Sinclair (Case Brite?) Treated corn media.
                          2. Ultrasonic Cleaner
                          3. ISSO Case Cleaner
                          4. Distilled Water (Hot)
                          5. Baking Soda

So this may be a bit of a longer route then I need, but I try and keep everything as clean as possible. The big addition here from the original experiments is the addition of baking soda to nuteralize the effects of the ISSO cleaner.

1. De-Prime fired brass.

2. Run Brass though one 5 min. Cycle in Ultrasonic case Cleaner.

3. While cleaning additional brass place cleaned brass in a Baking Soda/Hot Water solution. This will nuteralize the acids in the ISSO cleaner.

4. Heavily rinse all brass.

5. Run brass though second cleaning cycle in ultrasonic with Baking Soda solution.

6. Heavily rinse all brass allow to dry. (If you have white smudges your didn't rinse it clean. I wear glove and basically wash all cases under hot running water.)

7. Tumble cases in tumbler. The treated media will add a layer of protection to the cases so they don't spot and finger print when handling them with bare hands. (This was a huge addition because this process will strip all of the natural protection from treated media tumbling clean off them. The brass WILL finger print and mark up very easily from handling.)

Cheers,
                          CelticRaven

--CelticRaven

--Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thanks to everyone for sharing all of the info, I may have to give this method a try.

Food for thought,

If you want to get all of the water off of the brass, add a final rinse cycle where you use a 90% or greater alcohol solution. You can get a 90% solution in a bottle at a drugstore or a 100% solution by the gallon at a commercial supply depending on how much you need.

Basically remove all of the water that you can from the cases by shaking and/or wipping them down. Then emerse them completely in the alcohol and move them around. The water is miscible in the alcohol, and will move from the cases into the alcohol. Pull the cases out and remove all of the alcohol that you can from them by shaking and/or wipping them down. The little alcohol that remains on/in the cases will evaporate very quickly and leave no residue.

I typically use the alcohol for around 10 batches of brass and then pitch it as it starts to get to "water logged". If you look closely at the alcohol right after you take the brass out it will have an obvious layered/differential look once it starts to get to "water logged".

I used to go through a lot of actions (blowing, heat, etc) to try and make sure that the cases did not have any water remaining on/in them as it can cause oxidation issues. Now with the alcohol rinse, they dry completely in a matter of minutes with no extra effort.

Best of Luck,
                            M Richardson
                            "Old School" US Army 1986 - 1994
                            Just Cause - Panama / Desert Storm - Persian Gulf / Restore Hope - Somalia

Currently doing something that involves a Disaster, Fire, Guns, or Medical Emergency!

Comment

Working...
                            X