This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ultrasonic case cleaning tests! Great results

Ok I am a little excited about this and glad to know I didn't waste money here. This is informal at the moment and I'll be happy to answer any questions and more photos and tests to follow here.

Ok here is the setup, and what was done for the tests.

1. I got an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner from Ebay, $50.

2. A bottle of ISO clean. $25 I think from sinclair, but don't really remember.

3. A bottle of distilled water, (it actually dosn't have to be distilled I am told but eases cleaning)

Put the glass in the pan, and filled to the max line with the distilled water, inside the glass is the Iosso clean. No the glass does not effect the cleaning ability of the ultrasonic cleaner. The sound waves are transmitted though the glass, with little to no effect. The onlything this does do is create harmonics off the glass that are audiable in the room and are quite annoying. This comes from the pan vibrating the glass, and "bumping" the pan in the ultrasonic cleaner as it were.

[attachment=4192:attachment]

This was totally clean and fresh Iosso here. This pic shows not much you could see a lil black stuff most floating off most of the way though the cleaning cycle. I was a tad nervous at this point, that I had wasted alot of money. When I picked the case up it puked out carbon and black goo.

[attachment=4193:attachment]

This was the first test with several cases. The black haze in the fluid is the goop out of the first case and there was LOTS!

[attachment=4194:attachment]

After the above all cases were rinsed in more distilled water, and laid side by side. The far right case, no that isn't the flash missing, it is the other subject put in for comparison. All of this brass has been twice fired.

EDIT: *To Clarify, the case on the LEFT in both pictures has been cleaned in a tumbler and has been preped to load just like the other 5 pieces, the only difference between them is going through the ultrasonic.*

[attachment=4195:attachment]

Same pic again more or less for a better compare.

[attachment=4196:attachment]

Ran some of the cycles at 480, then 480x2, 480x3, there was no noticable result from the greater times in the cleaner.

*There have/will be several edits on this post to clear up information as I notice and test more. I will try and flag new information as I post it if I don't put it in a new response.*
    Attached Files
    CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

Plan for what CAN happen, not what HAS happened.
    --CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Sweeet! I just bought one of those about five minutes ago to try. Glad to see those results!
    HERK MAFIA)
    WHEN IT HAS TO BE THERE SOONER OR LATER

Comment

How long did you have to agitate the brass to get it that clean?
      How many cases can you do at one time?
      "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Now that I am a bit more awake I will clarify some of the things I did here.

In the glass that you see in there you could do about 10 at a time. If you use Iosso in the tray you can do about 30 at a time. The cleaning cycle was 480 seconds, with no clear additional benifit for longer or additional cycles. In several tests of the group of 5 cases, I did one case, then did the additional 4 for another 480 second cycle. Then pulled one and did the next 3 for another 480 sec. cycle. After I pulled the third, I really saw NO change between that and the first, so I stopped there.

The reason for the glass is cleanup. I will warn you now, Flea has experienced this, and I spoke with Iosso, and they confirmed it. Iosso Case Cleaner will eat though the steel pans in ultrasonic cleaners. If you use it directly in the pan you must clean it out as soon as you are done. The other option is getting glass beakers that you can fit inside your cleaner, to hold the Iosso and cases.

Why did I go though this? Well this may seem a tad on the super anal side, but when reloading cases up to 25 times or so, all that carbon build up in them as pieces of it blow out of the case it has to go somewhere. I would rather take some extra time to do this then end up getting large amounts of carbon build up in the barrel.

(The other reason, is I am having massive shooting withdrawl right now, but that is a different story.)
        CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

--CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
        --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Another question, for anyone that might know. Is the slip 2000, carbon cutter harmful to brass? Also, does anyone know enough about Iosso to know what kind of chemical you would need to neutrilize the reaction in steel while you are cleaning up after?

I am going to give a go on one of my AR15 bolt assemblies soon, and was planning on trying the slip2000, which I use quite commonly anyway with it.
          CelticRaven

--CelticRaven

--Thomas Jefferson

Comment

CR -- looks like the Iosso works alright...call them and get a copy of the MSDS and post the contents here.

If you get tired of the expensive Iosso, there is always my vinegar recipe
            JB

Comment

JB,
              Are you the one that wrote that for the 6mm BR site? If so would like to chat with you some on your findings and tests.

By the way what is an MSDS?
              CelticRaven

--CelticRaven

--Thomas Jefferson

Comment

[Wil Smith in Independence Day] I HAVE GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THESE THINGS !!! [/Wil Smith in Independence Day]
                "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
                "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
                "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

Harrym you NEED one
                  CR -- yup, tis me. PM returned.

Manuf. Safety Data Sheet...just ask for the MSDS and they'll know
                  they can probably email you a .pdf of it.

JB

Comment

[quote]
                    [Wil Smith in Independence Day] I HAVE GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THESE THINGS !!! [/Wil Smith in Independence Day][/b]

Harry,
                    Waiting for JB to check his PM's here, and going to see if we put our heads together what happens. It might be scary but hey... Last night was more akin to the mad scientist in his lab! I shot him some questions and plan on doing some tests to see how this actually effects cases, in the actual reload.
                    CelticRaven

--CelticRaven

--Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Been in PM's with JB, I have a few new tests coming up tonight and he has some more of his own planned. Well keep you posted. Should take the time now, to say a public thanks to him for doing a lot of the inital research on this since it did save me a considerable ammount of time. If you haven't read his thread on 6mm br, it is well worth the read. (You can find the link about 5 posts down, in the other thread when I started looking at this in the first place.)
                      CelticRaven

--CelticRaven

--Thomas Jefferson

Comment

[quote]
                        Another question, for anyone that might know. Is the slip 2000, carbon cutter harmful to brass?
                        I am going to give a go on one of my AR15 bolt assemblies soon, and was planning on trying the slip2000, which I use quite commonly anyway with it.[/b]
                        Slip2000 Carbon Cutter is non-toxic, bio-degradeable, etc., so I don't imagine it poses a threat to metals. However, I just put a .308 case into a dish with Slip2000 Carbon Cutter on it, I'll let you know if I see any problems.

Comment

Let me know what if anything it does to the brass, over the next 24 hours. Like discoloration etc...
                          CelticRaven

--CelticRaven

--Thomas Jefferson

Comment

*Update on Iosso*

Well, as it turns out Iosso is a tad harder to clean off then I thought. The main component in it is Phosphoric acid, and last night I took a look at the 5 rounds I ran though. They had slight dulled markes on them, I think from skin oil reacting with what might have been left of the acid on them. Going to give a second go and I think a neturlizer like a baking soda solution should do the trick.
                            CelticRaven

--CelticRaven

--Thomas Jefferson

Comment

CelticRaven, this is what happens to a Lapua case after about 22 hours in Slip2000 Carbon Cutter.

Solution turned green/blue in the dish.
                              [attachment=4219:attachment]

Case dicoloration
                              [attachment=4220:attachment]

[attachment=4221:attachment]

The discoloration did not rub off, this does not "polish" the case but permanently discolors it.
                              I predict it would eventually dissolve the case if left long enough.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X