X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free advise!

Folks,

I've seen tons of posts about ammo for your 308's. Here's some advice for you, whether your rifle is a Remington PSS, VS, Savage LE2B, F10 all the LE models, Winchester Stealths, or any of the out of the box type tactical rifles.

Folks, save yourself some heart ache. These rifles were designed to shoot 308 Match ammo. So, if you don't reload, don't cheat yourself. Use Black Hills Match, Federal Match, M118LR, or a few others out there making match ammo. Stick with 168's or 175's. Use the 175's if you plan on shooting past 600 yds. These are the bullets the tactical rifles were intended to shoot. Yes, there are a few other bullets that work well, but you will have to reload to use them.

Yes, it costs more, but for the heart ache and disappointment you're going to experience, just buy it. This ammo was designed to shoot .5 moa of better, at distances out to 1000 yds. So please use it.

I get dozens of e-mails and pm's every week asking, "why won't this 165 ballistic tip shoot in my PSS?" "I've tried 147 surplus ammo and it won't shoot in my rifle." "Is my barrel shot out?"

I'm here to help ya'll. Never have I tried, or intended, to belittle anyone, and I'm not trying to now. However, these rifles were not designed to shoot ammo such as the hunting bullets, surplus 147's, or anything other than match grade ammo.

I've said many times, "I don't know everything", but I do know these rifles need match ammo.

Shoot well, flea
    "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Amen!
    Just trying to keep the world safe from Coyotes, Bobcats and dope fiends.

Comment

Flea, my 25 wssm AR is barelled with a "stainless ultra match" barell...am I to assume that I need to me shooting match bullets out of it??
      -- An AR-15, a good, loyal guard dog, and a nymphomaniac that runs a liquor store. The simple life.

-- All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

--Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Hi christopher_K,

No sir, please go back and reread the thread again, sir. I was speaking of tactical rifles.

While your caliber is a very fine hunting round it's still not yet considered a tactical round by the tactical world. Please take no offence just merely stating a fact.

If it were me I would keep trying to come up with a good solid handload sir.

Best regards, flea
        "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

not offended at all...25wssm is what it is, the rifle is certainly tactical platform, but youre right...the round...it probably never will be.

but will the barell like SMKs any better? thats the root of my question. I know I cant find factory match ammo...but if I load match bullets? maybe its worth the expieriment. and I should start loading not typing! lol
          -- An AR-15, a good, loyal guard dog, and a nymphomaniac that runs a liquor store. The simple life.

-- All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.

--Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Christopher, the best way to answer that is to load some up and see how it shoots. Can't anybody really answer that for you. Each barrel is different, some like SMKs, some dont.
            You can talk to 10 different people and get 10 different answers for their favorite recipes, powder, and bullets, and they will all be using the same caliber. Each rifle shoots different.
            I have seen people have 2 rifles from the same manufacturer, the same caliber, and one like federal and one not. One will like black hills, and one won't. It is hit and miss and experimentation is the key.

Everybody who reloads has their favorite loads for a given caliber. Once you make it past the initial reloading point and get a good starting point from one of the more experienced loaders, you will eventually start experimenting, you may come up with something that works really good for your rifle that may not work in another, which may or may not be different than the original recipe that somebody has given you to begin with.
            So ultimately, it is all about you and your rifle, and something only you will be able to answer.

Hope this helps
            In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

something only I can answer...very zen lakotah. very zen.

this much i know, different rifles are made with tools that wear...my winchester throws premium grade factory remington 200 gr pills like no other, but wont shoot a cow off a fleas back at 200m with winchester ammo(no offence vern). I guess im goinng here to fill some voids in my loading information bank and see if I can crack the egg that is my 25. Im starting to realize that the missing link is a chrono.

thanks everyone for all the help.

--Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Very nice post flea. Hopefully more people will read this before they make a post '' what ammo should I use in my rifle'' lol
                "Happiness is Firing a belt fed weapon"

Comment

Working...
                X