Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necking Down .308

Boy this is fun...
    I decided to neck some of my LC brass down to .260 to have something with a different case volume maybe. First I decapped and gave them a quick clean before I annealed them. Since the chamber on the .260 is so tight I decided to run them through a .308 small base die to start since the chamber in the .308 is a little out of spec on the front end and bump the shoulders back to zero. I then ran them in a 7mm-08 die without the expander ball and that changed the neck thickness from .014 to .019-.020. So now I have to remove at minimum .005 from the case necks. We decided to use a .279 neck reamer for the task since I didn't think a .267 would remove enough material. Well... it turns out it removes too much material when they are sized at 7mm-08 and I had to go to a smaller final bushing than I wanted to use so back to the drawing board. We decided to run them in an expander die to open the necks back up some and start again. Well with all of the bushings we had on hand we didn't have what we needed. This finished case was .290 OD, .264 ID, with .013 neck thickness. My goal is .290 OD, .260 ID, and .014 neck thickness. If I did the final reaming on a .306-.307 neck bushing I think I will be where I want to be with the neck tension. Bushing will leave TN today...maybe I will have this done for the Rendezvous.
    "Flawed But Repeatable"

Yeah, I just order Lapua.
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

I have 100 R-P and the only ones I have found the places I look was 2K for $2K....should have bought some when they ran the Lapua on sale a bit ago....and didn't
      "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

So, ammo is gonna be your excuse?
        www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

LMAO...maybe for not having time to start a big pot of chili
          "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Got it after a small amount of trial and error.

OD .312, ID forgot to record, neck thickness .017-.018

Neck Bushing .308
            Ream with .277 inside neck reamer
            Neck Bushing .306
            Ream with .277 inside neck reamer
            Neck Bushing .300
            neck thickness .013-.0135
            Neck bushing .294
            Neck bushing .290
            Final
            OD .290 ID .260 neck thickness .014
            Loaded round neck OD is .293 for .003 neck tension
            "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

WELL ...it seems to perform better at 300 yards than100
              "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

well after the first firing and annealing the cases... the neck thickness is back up to .015-.017. Looks like it might be hard to keep this consistent so I better start looking for bras again.
                "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Working...
                X