X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results from the Spring 2010 Rendezvous

Let's hear 'em.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

wish i could have made it

Comment

This has probably been one of the best Rendezvous to date. There were so many people there. Everybody had a great time. Great to see old friends and meet new ones. The Rendezvous are definitely getting more popular and more and more come to every one we have. There is no place like it to get the opportunity to shoot from 300yrds. to 1400yrds. in a relaxed, laid back atmosphere. There is no rush or pressure on anybody to perform. You go at your own speed and get as much out of it as you want. Plenty of time to get good, solid data.

Ok, as for the weekend:

Had lots of wind on Saturday so made anything past 800 very challenging. Myself and MBandy tried to go to the 1400yrd. mark with the 300WM's but had some very big wind gusts which put us close but unable to meet the mark.

Sunday morning brought probably the worst mirage I have ever seen in my life. Even at 300yrds the mirage was ripping.

On Sunday afternoon, the conditions were great with very little wind. I decided to pull out the M1A and give it a go. Started at the 300, then went to 500, 600 and then 1000. Hits all the way.
      Then myself, cmmiss, and check6 decided to try 1400. We all hit the 1400yrd. target with my M1A with iron sights. The notorious and highly respected Flea was able to spot my hit which made it all the more awesome. cmshoot spotted for cmmiss and I spotted for check6. Here's a pic of cmmiss with flea and me with flea holding the coveted Hook Bowden tuned Springfield M1A
      [attachment=12188:P5094155.JPG][attachment=12189:P5094160.JPG]

Flea spotted for cmshoot on his rifle and he got good hits at the 1400yrd. target also.

I'd like to give a special thanks to all our vendors who made it out to support the sport and to Barrett for bringing out some of the finest heavy rifles currently used in the US inventory.

To all those who didn't make it, well you missed a great time, a very challenging set of conditions which made great training and good data for the weekend and a most excellent SP/Precision Applications, LLC. gathering, but don't fret there will be many more to come.

See you all next time, be safe and aim small, shoot small.
      Attached Files
      In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

Thanks Shep and set up team for such a great time. What a great group of people and nothing but a wonderful time. I really like how we rarely went cold and targets were nice. Thanks again for making myself and friend feel so welcomed. Hope to be back in Oct.
        Wanna discount ? Sign up free at www.Magnumforceballistics.com and then email me your new user name and tell me you are a member of Sniper Paradise and I will set you up so that everything and everytime you purchase you will get an automatic discount at check out!

Comment

As always, OUTSTANDING & THANKS A MILLION!

The classes by Vern on Friday were outstanding, as always more information than you can get your head around.

As luck would have it, plenty of chances to put "Vern's Wind Reading" to work on Fri & Sat with the 10-15 mph winds.

Sunday was pretty close to a perfect day, wind had slowed a lot, great chance to get good numbers all the way out to 1,400. I would like to think that I hit the 1,400 at least once, but if not I know I at least scared the hell out of the target!

Great to finally put faces to screen names, glad to see a bunch of old friends and meet a bunch of new ones.

Thanks to Shep & Vern for all of the help behind the glass, and sharing their wealth of knowledge. Thanks to everyone else for all of the hard work setting up and keeping everything working, and for all of the sharing that went on to make this another outstanding event.

Looking forward to Oct!
          M Richardson

PS: if someone would send Vern & Shep to A-Stan, things would be over a hell of a lot quicker! First round hits from 1,000-1,400 yards, they would be stacking them high and deep!
          "Old School" US Army 1986 - 1994
          Just Cause - Panama / Desert Storm - Persian Gulf / Restore Hope - Somalia

Currently doing something that involves a Disaster, Fire, Guns, or Medical Emergency!

Comment

Was a great weekend, meeting Vern and others was a treat.

The Wind was not real kind, but I always like a challenge. Due to a rise in the field, we were unable to engage targets inside of 650. The 1000 yard competition on Sat. was fun, and the results surprised me. We will be back in the fall for sure... assuming they still allow Rednecks

I have Many Pics to post once I get to a BroadBand connection later in the week.

Comment

What an AWESOME weekend! I have never shot at distances of 1000yds + and with the knowledgeable spotters of Master Flea and that famous guy on Fox & Friends I was able to hit the 1400 yd target with an M1A, iron sights. FREAKIN' AWESOME! More importantly I had the chance to meet some of the SP community. What a great group of shooters and people. Being new to this, everyone was willing to help out and assist me with anything I needed. I can not wait until October for the next shoot!
              I was born an American; I will live an American; I shall die an American -Daniel Webster

Freedom & Fear; Justice & Cruelty have always been at War, and we know that God is not neutral between them - George W. Bush

I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you - Genghis Khan

I dont know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you, half as well as you deserve. B. Baggins, Lord of the Rings

Comment

1400 yds with iron sights???

Comment

The Friday clinic was excellent, with a wealth of knowledge imparted in a short period of time.

We put out a total of 24 targets, every 50 yards from 300 yards to 1400 yards, where we had 2 targets.

The 300 to 500 yard targets were 6" hanging/swinging plates, the 550 to 1050 were 10"x17" silhouettes, the 1100 was a 12" gong, the 1150 and 1200 were approximately 11"x17" silhouettes, the 1250 was an approximately 13"x18" silhouette, the 1300 and 1350 were approximately 12"x24" silhouettes, and at the 1400yd mark were a 12" gong and a silhouette of approximate 18"x36" dimensions, with a 4" "flapper" in the center of the chest. Thanks to Lakotah, usngunner, tydirian and CaptRichardson for the loan of some of the steel.

We had the normal mix of calibers (.223 - .50BMG) and actions (bolt actions and semi-autos). The vast majority of arms were optically equipped, but a few iron-sighted rifles (M1 Garand, 98K Mauser, M1A's) were on the line as well.

I saw much more sound suppressors on the firing line than I did last time. Gettin' to be very popular.

On Friday, the 1400yd silhouette was hit 4 times, 18 times on Saturday (4 of which were in the flapper), and 4 times on Sunday. 3 of Sundays hits were with an iron-sighted Loaded model Springfield Armory M1A that had been tuned by Hook Boutin, with the shooting being performed by Lakotah, Bodine and cmmiss.

There were many shooters that weekend that had never shot beyond 400yds or so before, that went to at least the 1200yd target, if not all the way to 1400 yarder.

As usual, I did not get to shoot my stick until after lunch on Sunday. I spend most of my time ramroddin' the event, and spotting for various shooters. I laid down Sunday afternoon behind my custom Rem700 in .308 (topped with a NF 5.5-22x50mm and launching Black Hills 175grn match loads) with Flea behind me on the spotting scope. Rang every steel from 300 to 1400yds. I hit all the targets from 1000yds to 1400 yds with the first shot, with only 2 first shot misses at the closer targets, both of which were hit on the second round. Couldn't have done it without Flea calling the shots for me, I was just the monkey pullin' the trigger.

The wind was squirrelly and we were fighting a downdraft as well. I was shooting the same lot of ammo I shot last year, but I had to use nearly 5MOA of additional elevation to reach the targets on the slope.

2 prizes were awarded on Saturday, to AKAce and Brian Stancil, for achieving first shot hits at 1000yds, donated by Richard McLarin of Surefire (an E2D LED light) and Gunner's Gear (steel rifle target). Door prizes were handed out late Sunday: an SOG knife and tomahawk from Magnum Force Ballistics, a CRKT WAVE assisted-opening knife from SP, a couple of toolboxes/range boxes and a flag from Dshai, some 5.11 hats and more.

We raised $125 to donate to AmericanSnipers.org.
                  www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

I had a great time. This was the first opportunity I have had to shoot out to those distances. Perfect setup with a no pressure atmosphere to learn. I look forward to going back in October.

Shep thanks for walking me in on my 1st 1000 yrd hit.

Comment

I had a fantastic time and met a lot of great folks. Made some new friends that I hope I will see again. Mr. Vern, it was an honor sir, thanks for taking the time to talk to me. The clinic sure helped and I will be looking for the info we discussed. Thanks Shep - and thanks to all who worked on this to put it together, I appreciate it!

Until this shoot, I had only shot to 500 once. Lets just say that I had a blast on the hangers from 300 to 500 and the steel further out. We were hampered by some less than desirable wind and the spotting glass we had was... well, it isn't mine so I will reserve comment. Shep, thanks for taking the time Saturday afternoon with the spotting on that 1050! I listened and learned. I wasn't leaving until I got there and I did with your calls despite the funky wind. I will be back and I will have 175's in the cases.

Here are a few pic's... had plans to take a bunch of action shots but I was busy I guess! Video camera didn't even get out of the bag... Next time.

Vern talking set up, I should have been listening...

My buddy dialing more up on his 6.5 CSS

Comment

Hey RWE...I was the shooter in the EZ-UP next to yours...to your left....the last one in the firing line. What a blast, huh? Great people, great food, 3 solid days of nothing but shooting.....what else could a guy ask for?

Shep, thanks for putting on an outstanding event. Vern, thanks for your help. It was an honor and privelege.

Comment

Hey Guys and Gals,

Thank you! Without you we wouldn't be able to do this. I was my honor meeting and talking with y'all. I had a great time despite the pain. The long days wore me out and I'm sorry I didn't make some of the fine dinners. ( I tend to get a little grouchy folks say when I'm in pain) I don't mean anything by it just the pain coming out.

It was great to talk shop with everyone and I'll post the rossete and other info at the bottom of this post. I would have killed for a white board for the classroom talk.

Steve, Thank you once again for all your help and having us down. Everyone please give a hand to Steve, Shep and everyone that worked so hard to bring this together!

Capt. Richardson,

Pleasure talking with you! You have some fine equipment for sure. That Celestron ED 100MM spotting scope was some of the finest glass I've looked through. For spotting wind it's about as good as it gets.

My offer stands if anyone has questions about what we talked about in the train up please call after 7 PM at the house. My old hands don't type as fast as they used too so a call is better for me.

Shep, great rendezvous brother! It was once again a pleasure to sit behind you spotting. Those first round hits were in 9 MPH winds, with fish tail from 10:30 to 11 o'clock. Fine shooting my friend.

Take care, flea
                          [attachment=12193:Bullet_d...rosshair.JPG]
                          [attachment=12194:wind_resette.JPG]

Attached Files
                          "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

The shoot was great. I had a good time seeing people again and meeting some new folks and the ones that had made the CVT homecomings but were at TN for the first time. The wind reading lecture was great, I learned a lot. My favorite quote was one that Shep repeated from another instructor, "Pistols put holes in things, rifles tear s*^&#t up."

Good job Shep, Vern, and all the other guys running the shoot.

Comment

Great weekend..great shooting...great weather..great guys and great food..Maybe it's just me but does it get any better than that???

Thanks Vern, Shep and all the guys who helped put it together
                              " May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't" General George S.Patton

" Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"

" The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail...the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation" Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Comment

Working...
                              X