After action: 2014 Spring Rendezvous, May 24-25

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After action: 2014 Spring Rendezvous, May 24-25

Legion OTG is a 5,000 acre training facility located in Blakely, GA. Awesome location!

We used the UKD/Sniper Tower Range. We had a cardboard/paper zero target at 100yds with over 20 steel targets starting at 200yds and running out to 2,500yds.

We shot from a combination of a raised dirt berm and an elevated Sniper Tower made of stacked trailers.

Shooters used a selection of calibers from .223/5.56 up through .50BMG. Semi-autos and bolt actions were on the line. Most rifles were optics-equipped, but iron-sights were used as well. There were several "milsurp" firearms, including an M1 Garand, a Spanish Mauser, and a "Dragunov" (I don't know exactly what make/model it was, but I'm sure the shooter will chime in). I know for a fact that some of the iron-sight shooters were successful out to 1,000yds+.

One of the shooters had multiple hits at 1937 and 1990yds with a Steyr SSG-08 in .300WinMag with handloads. Excellent shooting from a great guy! Congrats to Sigma05!

I recently bought my 10YOA daughter a Mossberg MVP in 5.56x45mm. I haven't gotten a scope for it yet, so I topped it with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm I borrowed from a student. I sighted it in at 100yds with 68grn Georgia Arms ammo. Shot OK. I switched to 75grn OTM ammo, also from Georgia Arms, and shot a 3-shot one-holer. Good to go!

Got my daughter on the rifle, which she named Daryl. Once she was warmed up at 100yds, she sttarted banging steel and getting out further, culminating in 3-for-3 on the 800yd steel. Outstanding! At that point, she tapped out and was done for the day. She then laid down on the firing line, beside her rifle and between several shooters (including a .300WinMag with a muzzle brake) and prompetly went to sleep. That's my girl!

Flea made it after all. He got in a little trigger time.......I got a pic of him in action.

The next Rendezvous will probably be in early November at Legion OTG. I hope to see the old shooters back again, as well as a bunch of nnew folks.

Semper Fi!

www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Man I had a great time! It was fun seeing the new shooters making some impressive shots!
    " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
    '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

I saw new faces too...was kind of funny when the wild man on the end was shooting....I heard a shout..."he hit the car"...the guy 2 ez ups over says...who couldn't...it's only 500 yards...as I look over and see the shooter...the next thing outta the guys mouth 2 over is..."WOW...he's using a pistol" fun stuff right there...just one of the good memories for me

Glad Flea made it too

"Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Seriously wish I had been able to make it. Wife tends to understand my need to get away for a weekend, but not when it falls on our anniversary! To get my fix, I joined another event that was held the weekend before. Needless to say, I didn't find the same supportive community that I have with Shep and the Sniper's Paradise crew.... Already looking forward to November.

Shep - I don't get to post very often (here or the other boards you frequent) - but wanted to through out another request for a 'wind' class if you can find a weekend to put it together....

Glad you guys had a great weekend.

Regards,
        Adam

Comment

Adam, are you on my email notifications list?

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

[quote]
            Adam, are you on my email notifications list?[/b]
            I haven't seen anything - so I suppose not: Purdueeet 'at' yahoo 'dot' com.

Comment

I'll add you to the list.

Comment

Out of all the SP rendezvous I've been to, this had to be the most productive ever! I had learned from the last time being there, and went straight to work as soon as range went hot. I managed to get out to 1990 with the 300 win mag, and 1200 with the M14. Got a lot of great data for my ballistic tables. Even got to zero my IR illuminator for the PVS27 on Saturday night. It was great to see some old friends, and to meet some new ones. Best part was seeing somebody shoot an M1 Garand out to 1200! I know what I'm bringing next time.
                -
                Formerly known as N15

Comment

[quote]
                  Even got to zero my IR illuminator for the PVS27 on Saturday night.[/b]
                  I would have liked to see that setup

"Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Next time we should push to have a night session. It's a shame to go have access to such a facility that allows night shooting, and not take advantage. Here's some pics:

Here's the setup. Pic quality is not the best because it's taken with an iPhone handheld through a PVS14.

Here's what the 200 yard target looks like. It actually looks much better than in the pic. I managed to see out to the 1100 target. I could just make out the "11" painted on it to be able to identify it. With a better illuminator, I'm sure I could stretch out quite a bit more.
                    -
                    Formerly known as N15

Comment

That was great considering the moon didn't come up until right before the sun. My IR is good out to about 500m with Gen 3 and it would have been nice to hit some steel with my set up out to there. Is your reticle brightness adjustable?
                      "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Yes it is adjustable. Everything looks off because I took the photo with my iPhone while trying to hold on target. The phone was way off the eye relief distance therefore parallax and focus is also way off. It's actually very clear and I could even range using reticle. It was extremely dark though. Had it been full moon, life would have been much easier.
                        -
                        Formerly known as N15

Comment

It looks like in the picture you are measuring
                          "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Working...
                          X