Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

I was thinking about this on Memorial Day this year, but since Arlington is in the headlines right now, thought I would ask.

If you we're the family of the "Unknown of Vietnam" would you have had the remains exhumed?

I have always wondered other people's thoughts on this, If it was my decision, I would have liked to know, but would have taken the secret to my grave to let that grave continue to give comfort to all that visit there that didn't come home.

For those that aren't familiar:
    Identification of the Unknown
    In 1994, Ted Sampley, a POW/MIA activist, determined that the remains of the Vietnam Unknown were likely those of Air Force 1st Lt. Michael Joseph Blassie, who was shot down near An Loc, Vietnam, in 1972. Sampley published an article in his newsletter and contacted Blassie's family, who attempted to pursue the case with the Air Force's casualty office without result. In January 1998 CBS News broadcast a report based on Sampley's investigation which brought political pressure to support the identification of the remains.[16] The body was exhumed on May 14, 1998. Based on mitochondrial DNA testing, Department of Defense scientists confirmed the remains were those of Blassie. The identification was announced on June 30, 1998, and on July 10, Blassie's remains arrived home to his family in St. Louis, Missouri; he was reinterred at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery on July 11.[17][nb 4]
    [edit]Redesignation of the crypt
    The crypt that once held the remains of the Vietnam Unknown has been replaced. The original inscription of "Vietnam" and the dates of the conflict has been changed to "Honoring and Keeping Faith with America's Missing Servicemen." as a reminder of the commitment of the Armed Forces to fullest possible accounting of missing service members.[/b]
    Had my family member transferred to a marked grave.
    0%
    Quietly taken that knowledge to my grave.
    0%
    Other.... Please post.
    0%
    CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

Plan for what CAN happen, not what HAS happened.
    --CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    --Thomas Jefferson

I would have let the grave hold the secret. To the thousands of families that lost a family member as MIA, it gave them closure. Now what do they have? Thoughts of their Dad, Son, or Brother's remains scattered across a god forsaken place in a faraway land. May they rest in peace.

Comment

I'm with Hawker. Better to bear the quiet pride than take a symbol from the country.

[attachment=15575:flag_half_mast.gif]

God Bless them all.

Vince and Janice
      Attached Files
      "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

See I am with both Gunner and Hawker on this one.
        CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

Plan for what CAN happen, not what HAS happened.
        --CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
        --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
        X