Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama allows transfer of technology to make UAE first Arab nuclear state

Obama allows transfer of technology to make UAE first Arab nuclear state

$this->unconvert_size(18pt;line-height:100%">Obama allows transfer of technology to make UAE first Arab nuclear state

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"> Critics argue decision may prompt Middle East arms race
    Move worth billions of dollars to US companies</span>

Ewen MacAskill in Washington
    guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 20 May 2009 21.58 BST

<span style="font-size:12, Barack Obama today gave the go-ahead for a controversial transfer of technology to the United Arab Emirates that would make it the first Arab nuclear state.

The UAE is regarded by the US as a moderate Arab state and the transfer is to allow it to build a nuclear power plant to produce energy, not a bomb. But it is easier for a country with civilian nuclear power technology to make the change to military purposes.

Critics of the decision argue that could lead to an arms race in the Middle East, encouraging other countries seeking nuclear technology. They say does not make sense at a time when the US is engaged in trying to persuade Iran to abandon its uranium enrichment programme that Washington sees as intended to achieve a nuclear weapons capability.

The Bush administration last year agreed in principle to the transfer to the UAE but there was some doubt over whether Obama would endorse it. The move is worth billions of dollars to US energy companies.

"I have determined that the performance of the agreement will promote, and will not constitute an unreasonable risk to, the common defence and security," Obama said.

The US argues that the transfer of technology for civilian purposes, with all the safeguards and monitoring required by international law, helps avoid an arms race and is a relatively safe option.

At present, Israel is the only country in the Middle East with a nuclear weapon. Iran could have nuclear weapons capability within the next few years.</span>
    )[/b]
    "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
    "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Let me get this straight: They have oil coming out of their ears, but they still want a nuke? "It's for energy, not a bomb" Yeah, right.

Disgusted,
    --Hawk
    There are few problems a well-placed 308 cannot cure. --- Hawk

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room! --- President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove

Rocket Science is much more fun when you actually have rockets! --- USN Recruiting Commercial

A little revolution now and then is a good thing --- Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen an end to war --- Plato

"In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine & Berkeley, Patty Hurst, heard the burst, of Roland's Thompson gun & bought it!!!" --- The Late Warren Zevon, Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner

In the 1500's, the Roman Catholic Church sold indulgences to forgive sin. In the 21st century, we call these carbon offsets. ---Hawk

�Fight like a man, so you will not have to die like a dog� --- Calico Jack Rackham's Mistress

Comment

You guys are all just paranoid whack jobs. The UAE is our ally, what could possibly go wrong with them having nuclear "power"?
      America deserves to know her heroes!

Comment

Hi Harry;

No shock about that Willy Klintoon gave nuclear materials to N. Korea, you know so they wouldn't bother him while diddling fat interns. Heck Iran just tested a great missle to put that "technology" on. N. Korea used Klintoon's gifts to make several warheads, and Willie also sold China missle technology.

I fail to understand how this misses so many "voters" in a suppossedly educated nation. They still don't understand how much the demcrat base hates the USA. Nor how lucky the US was weds night, the "MESSIAH" had his first terrorist attack that actually played out...dang lucky there was an informant in the group and rendered safe the devices before they planted them. But Lil Skippy and Nancy will claim they actually had a hand in it, just like the "MESSIAH shot those three pirates. I guess I'm getting old and suspecious, but, I still want to know how a person with his background and associates can get a security clearance.

BTW, anybody know what branch of the service Lil Nancy was in? She claims she was fighting a war in 2002, I guess her and Hilarry were both in the Balkans under sniper fire.

Duck and cover...Jim
        "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

Lets really think here, they use oil for everything there. As it was said, its comming out there ears. If you could find a way to make more money from the oil hungry world by switching your energy production to nuclear, wouldn't you? It would increase your income by quite a bit!

But It, could also be planning for the future. I am sure that all here will agree that the oil will eventually run out, not an endless suppply.

Of course that is the only reason that the UAE wants nuclear capability...
          Every day above ground is a good day.

Comment

[quote]
            Lets really think here, they use oil for everything there. As it was said, its comming out there ears. If you could find a way to make more money from the oil hungry world by switching your energy production to nuclear, wouldn't you? It would increase your income by quite a bit!

But It, could also be planning for the future. I am sure that all here will agree that the oil will eventually run out, not an endless suppply.

Of course that is the only reason that the UAE wants nuclear capability... [/b]
            I think you are right. They probably want a nuclear tan too. That sun in the middle east just doesn't tan you like it used to.
            America deserves to know her heroes!

Comment

I am in no way condoning this, but if you guys think that oil is the only source of power, your sadly mistaken, just because you have oil doesn't give you an unlimited power option.
              We have about the same amount of oil the arabs do in the gulf and in Alaska, but we(read the gov.)chooses not to use it and won't let us drill for more. They think if they keep buying it, sooner or later they will run out and start purchasing from us.
              So before you think that just because they have oil they don't need or want any more power then your wrong. Nuclear power is cleaner, no by-product other than the rods, easier to control and for the power to performance ratio, it is a hell of alot better than oil.
              Now, do they and our mighty gov. have a separate agenda for this. I am almost sure. Nuclear power isn't something to play with, can be very dangerous if not properly controlled. Plus the fact that you are giving it to a people that are notorious for not keeping their word on any issue. You(again read gov.) are adding fuel to an already fire of bonfire proportions.
              The people no longer have a say so in this country. It is getting more obvious everyday, but until somebody or the masses finally have had enough, just talking is gonna be about the most anybody is going to do, and in all honesty talking is starting to get old. If he can talk about change, why can't we make a change that will benefit the people of america. Hell, this campaign was all about change, is he the only one that can change???????????????
              In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

Travis:
                Look at it this way. If the UAE decided to devote just 10% of their oil reserves to their own energy requirements, and sell 40% to the world for income, keeping 50% in reserve, they would have reserves for longer than anyone now alive there would live. This means they do NOT need the nuclear option at this instant.

I also have to disagree with you about how "clean" nuclear power is. Sound odd coming from someone with a couple of physics degrees? Well, figuring out what to do with the spent rods is a huge pain in the a$$. We've been trying for over 20 years in this country, with no solution. There was supposed to be a facility in Nevada deep underground that would act as storage for all the waste, basically forever. However, everything is now stored at the local plants. Some of the radioactive byproducts have half-lives of hundreds or thousands of years. Problem is, we don't know of any reliable containment container that will last that long without leakage, especially in the face of enbrittlement of the container from the radiation. All this means that nuclear power is currently much more expensive than coal (of which we have hundreds of years worth of supply) or natural gas (of which the supply is more limited). And the more nukes you build, the worse the problem of how to deal with the waste gets.

I'm all for nuclear power in theory. As a boy scout, I got the nuclear power merit badge (taught by Duke Power) and they even took us on a tour of the then-uncompleted Cowan's Ford nuclear plant, which is about 10 miles from where I grew up. I've followed it since then, but the fact remains that we (as scientists) haven't figured out a good way that is foolproof to deal with the wastes. Until we do nuclear will never be a very economical option. The holy grail would be fusion power, but we've been working on that for 50 years and aren't really a lot closer to a containment solution for the plasma than when we started.

Lastly, it's windy and sunny as hell in the UAE. Let 'em develop and use wind and solar for when their oil runs out. Why do they need nuclear so bad, right now?

Regards,
                --Hawk
                There are few problems a well-placed 308 cannot cure. --- Hawk

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room! --- President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove

Rocket Science is much more fun when you actually have rockets! --- USN Recruiting Commercial

A little revolution now and then is a good thing --- Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen an end to war --- Plato

"In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine & Berkeley, Patty Hurst, heard the burst, of Roland's Thompson gun & bought it!!!" --- The Late Warren Zevon, Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner

In the 1500's, the Roman Catholic Church sold indulgences to forgive sin. In the 21st century, we call these carbon offsets. ---Hawk

�Fight like a man, so you will not have to die like a dog� --- Calico Jack Rackham's Mistress

Comment

Hawk, very nice transition from BBQ to scientist. I agree there is never any talk about the spent rods when nuclear energy comes up. The discussion will never get that far as long as our infrastructure is built around oil and outside of some limited wind power nothing is going to change as far down the road as I can see. All the Messiah is doing is bowing to his Leaders and showing them that he is not the supporter of little satan that all previous Presidents have been. He won't do shiit about Iran getting nukes and Israel sees the writing on the wall. They will take out the Iranian facility's soon, the Iranians have already stated that their first strike will be the oil fields...oil will climb to $250.00 a barrel and we will have gas lines again. They need nuclear energy like I need a camel. The Messiah is a muslim plain and simple and as we go down this road that will become more and more evident.

Sam
                  " May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't" General George S.Patton

" Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"

" The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail...the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation" Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Comment

Hey Reb, maybe you misunderstood my post. I never said anything about the rods being clean. That is the downside to the Nuclear process. I have worked in more than my fair share of nukes and the rods are the downfall to the whole process. Also, not all facilities store the spent rods on site. They do have disposal facilites in the US at various locations.
                    The process in itself is a clean process, not the bi-product from the process
                    In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

Alright here's another plan...we convince the Chinese and the North Koreans that Muslims taste like chicken. We start shipping them from our new "chicken farms" starting with those pussy's the Saudis (and we get back all that great equipment that we sold them) and then we just take over the oil fields. Kills a lot of birds with one stone.
                      " May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't" General George S.Patton

" Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"

" The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail...the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation" Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Comment

Working...
                      X