Fatal USAF helicopter crash in UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal USAF helicopter crash in UK

I haven't seen this on any mainstream U.S news channels as yet and, as I know you'd all be intetested, I thought I should post this.

Investigations have started into what caused a US Air Force helicopter to crash in Norfolk, killing all four people on board.The HH-60G Pave Hawk, based at RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk, came down at a nature reserve in Cley-Next-To-The Sea on Tuesday night.The aircraft, from the 48th Fighter Wing, was on a low-level training mission and carrying live ammunition.A 1,200ft (400m) area is cordoned off and the A149 through Cley is closed.The wreckage, including a "significant" number of bullets from the crashed aircraft, is scattered over an area the size of a football pitch.............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-25649464

"I know why the sun never sets on the British Empire: God would never trust an Englishman in the dark." Duncan Spaeth (1868-1954

Prayers out for the families. Rest in Peace troops.
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

It was on the CBS evening news last night! RIP Warriors!......lee
      XX-Special Forces Assn. (MN
      Retired Deputy Sheriff
      SSG Airborne Inf. (Ret

Comment

Just to keep you in the loop:
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28224917

Investigators found "clear" evidence "bird strikes" caused a helicopter crash which killed four people.

Capt Christopher Stover, Capt Sean Ruane, Tech Sgt Dale Mathews and Staff Sgt Afton Ponce died on a training mission near Cley, Norfolk, in January.

They were in an HH-60G Pave Hawk, which was part of 48th Fighter Wing at RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk.

The Accident Investigation Branch says the geese strikes "rendered" both the pilot and co-pilot unconscious.

The helicopter was flying 110ft (33m) above ground level at a speed of about 110 knots (126mph) just before the crash.

In his report on the crash, Brig Gen Jon Norman said: "A flock of geese took flight from Cley Marshes, likely startled by the noise of the approaching helicopters, and struck the (helicopter).

"At least three geese penetrated the windscreen."
        "I know why the sun never sets on the British Empire: God would never trust an Englishman in the dark." Duncan Spaeth (1868-1954

Comment

Thanks for the updates Jack.
          " IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, USE DUCT TAPE !" said Uncle Bowe

Comment

110ft. is is just shy of the upper limits of the "Dead Man's Curve" for a lot of helo's. In that curve, there's about a 98% fatality rate, conscience or unconscious when the engine fails or one looses control of the acft. That's the price of flying low level over marshes!! Army aviators are taught this in flight School.
            I stand with Israel !!!!!!!!!!!
            "Dogs best friend"
            "Every dog needs a friend"
            "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
            "Good wife, good sons, good dogs, good guns, what more could one ask of life?
            " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"
            " Anyone who doesn't like dogs or guns, is a person never to be trusted!"
            (All the above, Yours Truly
            The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement

Comment

Working...
            X