1350 yd range in SW Oklahoma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1350 yd range in SW Oklahoma

The property owner of the land that I hunt on near Grandfield, OK has just completed work on a 1350 yard range. He has built a raised firing line that is 8 feet wide and 100 feet long. The firing line has been sodded and the burm has been put up at the 1350 yard line. The only thing that this range doesn't have at the present is steel targets. There is a plan in place to procure the targets in the next several months, but for now, you need to bring your own targetry. The property owner is pretty flexible and I will try to explain how he is offering the range.

This range can be reserved by anyone or in groups of up to ten people for $20.00 per person per day. That means you get the range from 0600 that morning until midnight that evening. The property owner operates his property as both farmland and as a managed commercial hunting area, so coordination needs to be made to reserve a date. He is pretty flexible. The only times that are not open are deer archery and rifle seaons, which run from 01OCT-02DEC generally. He does manage a nice deer population and has hunters in there during that time. Other than that, shooting doesn't affect the pigs and turkeys for the rest of the year.

If you are are a couple of hours or more away, there is a nicely furnished cabin that sleeps up to eight people and has a real bathroom with a toilet that flushes and a nice shower, all the bedding (blankets, pillows, towels.) is furnished along with all the untensils to cook with (oven, microwave, pots, pans, silverware, washing machine, dryer, refrigerator, freezer, BBQ grills, fire pit, satelite TV etc). All you need to do is bring your food and clothing. There are also three RV hook ups with water and electricity as well. Basically, if you would like to make a weekend or couple of day event out of it, then there are several options with the cabin or RV for a reasonable price.

The land owner is pretty open minded when it comes to training needs as well. If you are looking for a safe, long distance range to work out your newest toys like NVGs, FLIR, Thermal, .50BMG etc etc, that is open to you. He is pretty open minded about targetry as well. If you would like to bring tannerite or something legally similar, then that is open to you as well.

I know that this little blurb cannot possible cover all of the scenarios and questions out there, but the bottom line is that if it is legal to shoot and legal to possess, then the property owner most likely won't have an issue with it. I think that he honestly enjoys having folks come out to his place and enjoy themselves responsibly. Since he isn't that familiar with long range shooting or some of the other training scenarios that could be put into action, he has asked that I handle the coordination of folks that want to come through to make sure that the property is avalable and that what you want to do out there is ok. If you would like to reserve a day, please PM me. Below are a few pictures of the firing line. For general questions, just respond to the thread and I will answer them as best I can. Thanks

The vertical telephone poles are sunk about 15 feet into the ground. Each pole weighs about 2000 pounds. This firing line should be around for years to come.

If you look at the horizon in this picture, you will see a reddish patch of dirt. That is the 1350 yard line.
    Far Beyond Driven

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." John Stuart Mills (1806-1873

WOW!!!
    CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

Plan for what CAN happen, not what HAS happened.
    --CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Dang it...19 hours driving time from where I am.
      Would be a nice spot to gather for a Rendezvous, though.
      "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

[quote]
        Dang it...19 hours driving time from where I am.
        Would be a nice spot to gather for a Rendezvous, though.[/b]

Don't want to spoil anything, but that is in the works.
        Far Beyond Driven

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." John Stuart Mills (1806-1873

Comment

[quote]
          <div class='quotemain'>Dang it...19 hours driving time from where I am.
          Would be a nice spot to gather for a Rendezvous, though.[/b]

Don't want to spoil anything, but that is in the works.
          [/b]
          Out freakin' standing!
          "I love the Corps for those intangible possessions that cannot be issued: pride, honor, integrity, and being able to carry the traditions for generations of warriors past."
          Cpl Jeff Sornig, USMC; in Navy Times, November 1994

Comment

Cant wait. Gonna be fun
            In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

Can we take some of those hogs? Hairy Devils
              "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

[quote]
                Can we take some of those hogs? Hairy Devils[/b]
                I am sure that can be arranged!
                Far Beyond Driven

Comment

Just and update. I had a chance to shoot the range this past Saturday. The range is not 1350 yards as originally described, but is in fact 1410 yards. The property owner has put in some permanant target stands at 100, 150, 200, 400, 600, 740, 940, and 1410. There are steel targets at every permanent stand starting at 400 yards and all of it is 12 inches by 12 inches. Just some boiler plate steel for now. In the next several months, It should be AR-500 steel. There are alo some mobile steel stands under construction for any additional ranges that a person would like to shoot. I did discover that the wind out there is very challenging due to the terrain. Definately good practice for wind doping!
                  Far Beyond Driven

Comment

Need to make this happen......
                    In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

[quote]
                      Need to make this happen......[/b]

Here are a couple of photos from the maiden shoot last week.

I agree....gotta make this happen! Great range to shoot, very challenging!
                      Far Beyond Driven

Comment

WHAT!!! there is grass on the berm?
                        "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Awesome!
                          www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Working...
                          X