Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best choices to shoot in Durham/Chapel Hill area ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best choices to shoot in Durham/Chapel Hill area ?

New to the community and feel privileged to be invited to join ( Max Sirkin).
    I am new to shotguns (personal defense) and learning and honing my skills with my handguns (from a qualified expert). Still, looking for a place closer to home and the "Clubs" are closed to new members (both in Durham). PDHSC is great for indoor range, don't know if they allow shotgun practice. Also looking for a reliable gunsmith for my Sig P220.
    Anything I am missing here? Thanks everyone for your expertise and wisdom.

Welcome aboard Shap. Read through the archives, there is a wealth of information there. Also check out the Precision Applications section in the vendor forum. We do group events that are a lot of fun and before long you will buying a LR rifle as well...it just happens that way. Welcome to the addiction.

Sam
    " May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't" General George S.Patton

" Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"

" The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail...the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation" Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Comment

Welcome to Paradise!

What kind of work do you need to have done on your P220?
      www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Welcome here, I just hope you are not affiliated with Sam...............................
        " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
        '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

[quote]
          Welcome here, I just hope you are not affiliated with Sam............................... [/b]
          C'mon he said Max. Anyone who has met my son knows that he is free of my checkered past.....
          " May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't" General George S.Patton

" Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"

" The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail...the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation" Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Comment

Welcome aboard, Brother...we'll try not to judge you for your Father's shenanigans...we can't choose our parents and all that ...
            "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
            "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
            "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

This club has shoots every month,

http://dprc.org/

Durham Rifle and Pistol Club, they put on 3 gun matches and a designated marksman match every month. I'll be down there June 1 and 2nd for the 3 gun match sponsored by Bushmaster and covered by 3 Gun nation.

Comment

I know this is a little old but I thought I would add to it since other new NC people may do a search in the future.

Durham Pistol and Rifle Club is definitely your best choice. It's an amazing range and club. Unfortunately it has a 2 year waiting period to get in.

Another great choice is Range 37 PSR Gun Club (Range 37). It's further away but very open minded towards real world training and matches. It was founded and run by SF guys. They have a match just about every weekend, and even Friday Night matches. They have a shoot house, and have access to a property down the road for long range shooting (700 or more yards).

The Guys at Piedmont Handgunners Association also organize many matches, including a tactical match once a month. They also do a USPSA pistol and rifle specific matches every month. Great group of guys!

As far as Shotgun specific matches, I have found that you're SOL. It seems like it's 3 gun or nothing. The only group that I found that was willing to organize something, was guy called John from Zombie Shooters Association. Unfortunately he hasn't found a range that was willing to allow it. They always want to do 3 gun matches instead.

As far as instruction is concerned, I have found that you really need to go to Precision Applications for that. I have found that you can get plenty of good pistol and carbine courses in NC, but no decent shotgun or precision rifle courses/instructors. Central Virginia Tactical is also another great place for Long Range classes.
                -
                Formerly known as N15

Comment

Working...
                X