Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1000 yard - 1760 yard shooting opportunity in SW Oklahoma

Gentleman,

I hunt on a 2500 acres in southwest Oklahoma. The land owner has expressed a lot of interest and enthusiasm for hosting 1000 yard - 1760 yard shooting matches on his property. I have scouted the property for suitable locations and there are several. The property is located along the Red River. I haven't gotten into all of the particulars as far as what he would charge yet, but he is very open to any ideas that I bring to him. With my work schedule (as I am sure everyone else's work schedule!) it is hard to get the time to go out and just shoot long distance with all of the background prep that goes into it. I figure that the only way I can get away with it at work is to plan a weekend event and get leave for it just like I would do for hunting. That is the back ground of why I am trying to put this together. It is mostly selfish (LOL!) and I would rather be selfish with a group of like-minded folks. The weekend should be a good weekend of simply shooting with a few friendly competitions sprinkled in. The land owner is even willing to throw in a wild hog or two for a cook-out in the evenings. We would have to go get it, of course, but that won't be very hard on that property!

The property itself has a nice cabin that sleeps eight people and has all of the modern convenieces. In addition, it has three RV hook up spots adjacent to the cabin with water and power. There is already a 300 meter sight-in range set up. I have a line on some 3/8 inch AR-500 steel for different targets. I think there is enough distance given the contour of the property to set up a nice known distance range and an unknown distance range. In addition, there is a great place for a pistol range as well. I have walked through the property and looked at it from a range safety perspective and I think that there are several locations multiple ranges can occur simultaneously. I will need to look at this further.

The timeframe I am looking at is roughly March-April of 2012 and doing this for a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. This is all in the theoretical brainstorming stage at this point. I know there are a lot of folks (myself included) that have long range rifles, but either don't have access to the distances we would like to shoot at, or have some rifles/calibers that are not allowed on some public ranges like the .50 BMG. I have never really shot past 1000 meters, but I would like to stretch my 6.5-06AI out to 1200-1500 yards and this seems like a perfect chance to do it.

I would like to try andhave a bit of a contest at the end...something like a 300-500 yard egg shot or something similar, maybe sniper golf etc. In my mind, i would like to contact some vendors and see if I could get some things donated to make a 1st, 2nd, 3rd prize or something similar. As I said, I have never tried anything like this before, but it sounds like a good time to me. These are simply my intiial thoughts on putting something like this together. I would welcome and appreciate any ideas or suggestions that you may have. Thanks

Griffin99
    Far Beyond Driven

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." John Stuart Mills (1806-1873

Griffin99, I would like to have SP assist you in something like this. PM sent.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Any headway on this project? Would be willing to help in anyway I can.

Mike

Comment

We are working on it, I don't see anything standing in the way of making it happen. The landowner wants it, SP wants it and we've got folks in the area to work it.

bacamike, contact Griffin99 via PM or email and see if he needs a hand. Lakotah will also be involved in it as part of my "West of the Mississippi" crew.

Semper Fi!
        www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Talked with cmshoot today. Will be setting things up via phone call tomorrow to start finalizing plans.
          In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

Let me know Travis.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

[quote]
              Let me know Travis.

[/b]

Will do
              In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

Are there any updates on this project? If there is anything I can do let me know by IM.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X