Where is the exit wound?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the exit wound?

A weird thing just happened to me. I shot a groundhog at 200 yards into his eye(aim point). I went up to him but I could not find a exit hole. I was using .308 168 gr. smk @ 2550fps (muzzle). Is this possible or did the bullet come out of his mouth? I'm pretty sure he was not lined up right for the bullet to come out of his mouth, but I could be wrong. It was just really strange.
    Tanner
    We're still toooo close. Lets move further away.

Did you lift his tail??
    "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

[quote]
      Did you lift his tail?? [/b]
      Even then, would you be able to tell?
      "O divine art of subtlety and secrecy! Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy's fate in our hands." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

+1 for tail or try looking in its ears, if its really buggin you skin it.

The future of man is unknowen, Unless you try to rob a gun store with a machete in which case your future is certin...Your gonna get your dumb a$$ shot!

one weekend in the bush sorts out months of crap from the city.

Comment

[quote]
          +1 for tail or try looking in its ears, if its really buggin you skin it. [/b]
          I'd suggest the ear as well. The 168SMK at 200 doesn't have a lot to initiate expansion in a groundhog's head, and it may not have opened enough to create the sort of damage you may be expecting to see.

If it actually did exit the anus (if anyone is even serious about that suggestion, LOL), it would have had the entire body to cause the bullet to open, and "obvious exit wound" would likely be an understatement. . .
          Ed

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Comment

[quote]
            Did you lift his tail?? [/b]
            At least this would make sense, but unless the bullet did a 90 degree turn towards the ground I don't know how lol. I checked him pretty good, but I never thought about checking the ear. Can't check now, the vultures already got to him. Just hope I did not find a breed of groundhog with a metal head. Would it be possable for the bullet to get deflected and bounce around in there a bit (I really don't know much about terminal ballistics yet)? You gotta love the weird things in life lol.
            Tanner

Comment

I shot a ground hog just the other day at about a 150yrds. Impact was just right of the mouth and took the back of the head off. I was using 168gr SMK's at about 2650fps muzzle.

Comment

[quote]
                I shot a ground hog just the other day at about a 150yrds. Impact was just right of the mouth and took the back of the head off. I was using 168gr SMK's at about 2650fps muzzle.[/b]
                Yeah, thats what usually happens to me. I guess it had to come out of the mouth or something.

Comment

Brain spam!!!
                  John 3:16
                  "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Romans 12:1-2
                  Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship. [2] Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Comment

At least this would make sense, but unless the bullet did a 90 degree turn towards the ground I don't know how lol. I checked him pretty good, but I never thought about checking the ear. Can't check now, the vultures already got to him. Just hope I did not find a breed of groundhog with a metal head. Would it be possable for the bullet to get deflected and bounce around in there a bit (I really don't know much about terminal ballistics yet)? You gotta love the weird things in life lol.
                    Tanner[/b]
                    not at that range, that pill is still moving faster than those little bones could handle. it exited somewhere, and like possum said, if it bugs you that much skin it, but since that ground hog is bird crap now, its not an option. either way, its a kill...take it. 200yds on a GH is a nice shot. if it left his mouth, arse, or ear either way hes dead.

$0.02

toph

-- An AR-15, a good, loyal guard dog, and a nymphomaniac that runs a liquor store. The simple life.

-- All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

--Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                    X