• Deer
    • Coyotes
    • Foxes
    • Wolfs
    • Rabbits
    • Crow
    Thanks.

John
    Expert Rifleman considers any chart as a guide only.

F.B.I Data Book 2.192 (Rev. 7-7-97

I've been looking also and haven't found much... never measured any of them either, didn't think of doing that.
    "Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a War!" George S. Patton

Everything I needed to know about islam I learned on 9/11.

Comment

Foxes, rabbits and crows will be about the only constants from the list.
      The others, especially deer and coyotes wiill vary greatly by region.
      For instance, a good midwest whitetail may run 300 + pounds, where a northwest whitetail may be 175-200 or so. Mule deer will badly skew numbers those as well.
      If you really want close figures for the animals in your area, call a local taxidermist. He'll likely have some pretty accurate average measurements for you, since he orders the mount forms for the animals he mounts.
      Every area will be different.
      "We stand at the ready at Hell's front door. We are the sharpest, and most potent arrow in the quiver of last resort and upon us hangs the weight of being the final option. When it cannot otherwise be done, we are called. When lives are at stake and the specter of death roams freely, we are put into the fray. We go once more into the breach where others fear to tread. We do what others won't, or can't, and we are allowed no errors. For us mistakes mean death. We must train as if our lives and the lives of others hang in the balance for indeed they truly do. Spend this day and every other seeking perfection in the warrior arts."

Comment

Some of the Coyotes around here look like 90lb German Shepards. I'd say 22-28 inches at the shoulder. Western's are smaller.

Comment

Guys,

Thanks alot. This is the deal.

I have a farmer up the road from me that is cool with me shooting on his land and killing all listed animals. So this is the idea behind the post.

Thanks for all the help.

John

Comment

You're lucky, we only let really close friends hunt on our ranch, too much risk of all sorts of things. Probably need to thin out some coyotes, and rabbits, but we're not of the trusting sort.
            "Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a War!" George S. Patton

Everything I needed to know about islam I learned on 9/11.

Comment

[quote]
              Guys,

Thanks alot. This is the deal.

I have a farmer up the road from me that is cool with me shooting on his land and killing all listed animals. So this is the idea behind the post.

Thanks for all the help.

John[/b]
              Tough to mill something that won't be a uniform size.

Certain things DO remain similar in size, notably the eye, even though the animals will vary somewhat. The eyes of most animals will be near their adult size even at a very young age. This is what give young animals their "wide-eyed" appearance. The visible portion of the eye of a deer is about 1-1/4" diameter, around here, anyway.

But, this really sounds like a job for a laser and a range card, set your dope up ahead of time. . . . If prominent landmarks are tough to find, maybe take a few range stakes out and drive them at strategic locations, then laser back to the FFP.
              Ed

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Comment

E.Shell,

If I can mil the eye of any thing, its a waste of time.

Just point and shoot
                If its that close I do not need the range.

Thanks any how.

John

Comment

John,
                  Varmint Hunter Magazine had a list of measurements at one time. Let me look at some old issues and see if I can find them.

Anything standing in the grass will be impossible, so you will have to range the width of the animal. Like ground hogs I use 5" and it works pretty well.

flea
                  "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

I've been wondering that same thing, especially when i don't have the range finder. smart a$$ suggestion, buy a range finder.

Comment

[quote]
                      I've been wondering that same thing, especially when i don't have the range finder. smart a$$ suggestion, buy a range finder. [/b]
                      my method is to measure objects in the area i will be hunting before the hunt, ie. hay bails, fence posts, bushes, small trees, rocks and use them as references for milling. the animal will usually be near enough to one of those objects that the ballistics wont be off enough to matter. in some large fields i have even driven 1-meter wooden stakes in the ground at different distances to use for milling. always worked great for me, at least until i got my laser rangefinder, then didnt need to mill for distance.

Comment

Working...
                      X