This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trophy Room

My Brother in law just got last year's Whitetail mount back. This was his best deer to date, and a nice one in anybody's book.
    Got a photo of your deer? Elk? Moose? Hog?

Let's see 'em.

I'll start things off with his:

[attachment=2673:attachment]
    Attached Files
    "We stand at the ready at Hell's front door. We are the sharpest, and most potent arrow in the quiver of last resort and upon us hangs the weight of being the final option. When it cannot otherwise be done, we are called. When lives are at stake and the specter of death roams freely, we are put into the fray. We go once more into the breach where others fear to tread. We do what others won't, or can't, and we are allowed no errors. For us mistakes mean death. We must train as if our lives and the lives of others hang in the balance for indeed they truly do. Spend this day and every other seeking perfection in the warrior arts."

Sweet!

Not only a really nice buck, but the taxidermist did a helluva job.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

She did a very good job.
      The gal that did it is his neighbor. Really nice folks and avid hunters.
      We've hunted turkey and coyote on their spread and I'll be heading back over there in a few weeks to try it again for a whitetail with the new bow.
      They've been seeing some huge bucks in the area again, so with any luck I'll be able to give one a carbon fiber happy-gram right behind the front shoulder, and hang one like that next to my mule deer mount.
      We'll see...
      "We stand at the ready at Hell's front door. We are the sharpest, and most potent arrow in the quiver of last resort and upon us hangs the weight of being the final option. When it cannot otherwise be done, we are called. When lives are at stake and the specter of death roams freely, we are put into the fray. We go once more into the breach where others fear to tread. We do what others won't, or can't, and we are allowed no errors. For us mistakes mean death. We must train as if our lives and the lives of others hang in the balance for indeed they truly do. Spend this day and every other seeking perfection in the warrior arts."

Comment

[attachment=2683:attachment]I don't have any actual trophies, but this is the first buck I ever shot on the western slopes of White Knight Peak at 7500'. There's something about that name that I like.

We'd hiked in about 5 miles and climbed 2,000' to where we made our base camp. It was another 1,500' climb and about a 2 mile hike to where I shot the buck and then a day for the two of us to pack it out. With the hide and head off the quarters weighed 190 lbs and it was good eating.
        Attached Files

Comment

I don't have any actual trophies[/b]
          Al;
          Hey Buddy, if you had to work that hard to get him, and if every time you look at the mount or the rack, you smile and remember how hard (but rewarding) the hunt was, it's a trophy.
          "Trophys" aren't always measured in inches of spread or height. A true trophy can be many things to many people.

If you put on a 4 hour stalk for a big forked horn mulie in open grassland, and got him at 30 yards with a bow, that's a definite accomplishment, and would be a trophy in my book. (May not be Pope and Young, but a trophy of hunting skill and accomplishment nonetheless.)
          If you hunted your butt off for days, and took a decent and elusive whitetail with a well placed shot from your favorite rifle, then maybe that makes the grade as a trophy for you.
          Or maybe a raghorn bull elk that you got on the last day of a tough season when nobody else got squat. They're all trophys if you look at what it took to get them.

I would MUCH rather take a middle of the road 4 point Mule deer, decent bull elk or elusive Cougar under fair chase conditions and a hard hunt, than go to a fenced in, "Pay for your trophy" hunting ranch, and kill one that stands there for you, ANY DAY. I want to look at my mount and smile, remembering all the hardships I went through to beat the animal on his ground at his own game. THAT'S where the trophy value is for me. He was good, but that day, I beat all his senses, and I was better. My hunting skills prevailed.

Looks and sounds to me like your hunting skills and effort prevailed with your buck too.
          Nice job on a very nice buck. Sounds like you earned it.
          THAT'S a trophy to me.

Nice job, and thanks for posting the photo.

Comment

Hows this for a good mount!
            [attachment=2687:attachment]
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey Patriot, how much did it cost ya to have the taxidermist do that mount!?

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Oh my God! That is the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life........

I've seen some young bucks do some pretty strange things, but THAT one...

Nice pic.

Comment

One of my customers sent it to me. I thought you guys might enjoy it.

Comment

That's IT???

Three deer and a dog???
                    Nobody else out there has any kind of horns they're proud of?? No monster racks, no odd, non-typical horns, a nice bearskin rug, cougar? Pig? Stuffed squirrell????
                    Dead Beetle???

Anyone??

Comment

I never killed anything worth mounting, at a time when I could afford to have it done! I did a DIY rack mount of the first deer I ever killed, a Georgia 5-point. Big ol' deer (for Georgia) but a spindly little rack. He sure tasted fine though!

Hopefully, things will be different with my Ohio deer hunt this year.

Comment

[/b]
                        Hey JB,
                        Well, now that you mention it , I did mount a couple of nice ones with monster racks over the years ...
                        Respectfully,
                        Harry
                        "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
                        "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
                        "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

SpecOps-- I hope it wasn't a buck...
                          "Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a War!" George S. Patton

Everything I needed to know about islam I learned on 9/11.

Comment

"It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
                            "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
                            "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

Johnnybravo351, here's a few critters I've shot in recent years:

This doggone 'yote measures 60" from tip of nose to tip of tail. Chelan County WA, w/7mm Rem mag.

Me (orange vest) and my buddy with this year's mulie. Douglas County WA, w/.25-06 & Barnes TSX bullet.

My only nice bull elk, a 6x6 with a 51" spread. Wind River Mtns, Wyoming w/7mm Rem mag & 175 Nosler Partition.

Let's see some more trophies! Regards, Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X