Truck Load

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Load

Going to sit the orchard this morning. Looking at the moon and it will be overhead shortly, I better hurry up and get to my spot. Got my chair, shooting stick, backpack, rifle, and my bushy poncho...think I'm set. I had been out a day or two before and picked this spot with a downed limb in the pecan tree. As it started to get light I realized my position wasn't good, so I began scooting my chair forward a little bit at the time until I could see what I wanted. A few minutes before 8 I see a deer through the limb. Rats...I am going to have to get out of my chair to shoot that one. I eased out and kneeled with my shooting stick. Deer looks small but not that small...let me watch a minute...I wonder what it keeps looking back at. OK...tired of waiting...bang...flop...wait and watch incase it needs another...leg is stiff...leg is easing down...ear is flipping like crazy...OK...good clean kill. about 45 minutes have passed and I am beginning to second guess my choice of when I shot when I hear the squirrels barking. I have scooted my chair up far enough now to catch the deer I shot in the corner of my eye when out pops one about 25 yards from the first one closer toward me. I watch her and she is antsy as all get out...can't tell if she is stomping at the downed deer or all of the squirrels...I heard my phone vibrate so I figured it was time to sent another one...bang...front legs stayed on the ground and the back ones looked like they were 10' in the air...good shot on that one to..I expected it to fall as soon as the back feet hit....nope she is going to run....look how slow she is moving...gotta be hit good and off into the woods she goes...I listen and I don't hear anything crash. The phone was my buddy I went with asking if I had seen anything...I told him I had shot all the one I had seen...no reply back....I waited about 20 minutes and I here him coming with the Mule. He picked me up and we go to the edge of the woods where I thought she went in...yep there she is...can see her from the grove and she's about 20 yards in. I get my strap and tie it around her neck...step through it and anchor the strap on my waist and start walking out with her. Both were about 125 yards out. One was a late drop from last year and the other a good nanny that may have been still nursing one. My Ruger M77VT in .25-06 and I had a good morning...maybe I won't have to sleep with her tonight...maybe just rub her a little for tomorrow. G man and I are going for his first ever deer stand sit this afternoon at the Barn Stand.
    Attached Files
    "Flawed But Repeatable"

Nice!

I expect more deer chili this spring!
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

[quote]
      Nice! I expect more deer chili this spring![/b]

NOT a problem,,,thought y'all would be tired if it by now...If Sigma05 comes I will make him a pot too.

"Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Nice!
        XX-Special Forces Assn. (MN
        Retired Deputy Sheriff
        SSG Airborne Inf. (Ret

Comment

well...almost had another twofer Sunday evening. It started with a head bob catching my eye. First one came into the plot pretty hard and I could see it was smaller. When it got to my Rape and Kale I gave it a look through the scope and sure enough it was almost touching the belly and by now I could see the second bobber. Two came out this time the lead was much bigger and the third was about the same size as the first. Put the reticle over the heart and sent it..BANG...SMACK did the low crawl to the scrub. Third deer start back the way it came then did a 180 and followed the other two. I could hear them blowing so I figured the one I hit went down. OH LOOK... there is another one standing there like a perfect statue. Damn...can't see the front leg behind the Saw Tooth...I need to slide this round across the bark...OH LOOK... the head is sticking out from the other side. That's no good...I can only see from the ear forward...angle must be more than I see. That means the spot I want is farther ahead for high shoulder or heart...this is not good...lets wait it out....4 minutes later still have a no go...getting dark...Uncle you win girl...stood up.. put my backpack on slug my baby and climbed down. When I turned and looked over my shoulder half way up the hill.. she was still there. Got the truck and started tracking...lost blood at the end of the rape in the tall grass...took a minute but she only made it about 40 yards if that.

Got to watch these quail birds eat til they just sat down right there before things started heating up...Looks like the Chili is going to be good boys.

Attached Files
          "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Make plenty of it, my daughter will eat her weight in venison chili. Of course, she don't weigh much......
            www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Working...
            X