Bullet weight and type. Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullet weight and type. Help

Hey everyone I am shooing a 30-06 and am currently using 165 grain fusion ammo. I don't reload and won't be able to. With that being said, which factory ammo would you guys recommend for best accuracy and what grain out of 150 165 180. For an all around hunting round

What will you be hunting and at what distance? I like a lot of the newer fancier bullets but I have never lost an animal with an old lead soft point bullet. They just work!
    " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
    '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

[quote]
      What will you be hunting and at what distance? I like a lot of the newer fancier bullets but I have never lost an animal with an old lead soft point bullet. They just work![/b]
      Sorry I should have mentioned. I wanted to be able to hunt deer and elk. So a bullet that can be a happy median between both and looking to shoot to 500 maybe 600

Comment

For deer, any of the 150 and heavier will work fine. For elk, you'll want something heavier and tougher. My favorite for the '06 is the 180grn Accubond. Excellent bullet design and very accurate.
        www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

[quote]
          For deer, any of the 150 and heavier will work fine. For elk, you'll want something heavier and tougher. My favorite for the '06 is the 180grn Accubond. Excellent bullet design and very accurate.[/b]
          Ok and I heard that a 180 compared to a 165 grain, the 180 won't be affected by wind quite as much? Is that true?

Comment

Yes, but that will only be noticeable over a long distance.

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

[quote]
              Yes, but that will only be noticeable over a long distance.[/b]
              Ok cool thanx for the info!

Comment

My Uncle used to used 220gr Remingtons in His .30-06, forget which ones exactly, for deer in Virginia. A bit much I agree but it's funny as sh*t to see a deer barrel-roll when hit by one of those puppies.

I was loaded up one day sitting in a field, 180gr's in my .30-06, and didn't see a thing all day....except this brown fur ball running across the field at about 100 yds.

That whistle-pig had no chance, He stood up and I popped him right between the shoulder blades. DRT.

Love that caliber, wish my 700P was an -06
                NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

What a crock of shit. I have never seen or heard of that happening. Of course, I only see a thousand or so rifles a year with canted bases, so maybe I don't get out enough......

Comment

[quote]
                      What a crock of s*^&#t. I have never seen or heard of that happening. Of course, I only see a thousand or so rifles a year with canted bases, so maybe I don't get out enough......[/b]
                      Haha I thought so but I wasn't sure!

Comment

[quote]
                        My Uncle used to used 220gr Remingtons in His .30-06, forget which ones exactly, for deer in Virginia. A bit much I agree but it's funny as sh*t to see a deer barrel-roll when hit by one of those puppies.

I was loaded up one day sitting in a field, 180gr's in my .30-06, and didn't see a thing all day....except this brown fur ball running across the field at about 100 yds.

That whistle-pig had no chance, He stood up and I popped him right between the shoulder blades. DRT.

Love that caliber, wish my 700P was an -06[/b]
                        Make you a deal you shouldn't refuse on a custom worked Rem. 700 -06. 20 rds. test fired. Worked up by Dixie Brigade Armory {Gloucester, Va.}
                        I stand with Israel !!!!!!!!!!!
                        "Dogs best friend"
                        "Every dog needs a friend"
                        "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
                        "Good wife, good sons, good dogs, good guns, what more could one ask of life?
                        " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"
                        " Anyone who doesn't like dogs or guns, is a person never to be trusted!"
                        (All the above, Yours Truly
                        The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement

Comment

[quote]
                          <div class='quotemain'>My Uncle used to used 220gr Remingtons in His .30-06, forget which ones exactly, for deer in Virginia. A bit much I agree but it's funny as sh*t to see a deer barrel-roll when hit by one of those puppies.

Love that caliber, wish my 700P was an -06[/b]
                          Make you a deal you shouldn't refuse on a custom worked Rem. 700 -06. 20 rds. test fired. Worked up by Dixie Brigade Armory {Gloucester, Va.}
                          [/b]

Sounds like a winner to me, the 'boss' would likely do some custom work on me if I walk into the house with another firearm...

Still want to come visit and try my hand at 500.
                          NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Comment

Working...
                          X