Getting ready for deer season!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready for deer season!

Gotta check the scope on my go-to rifle, a Remington 788 in .308 that's been tuned up a little bit. Deadly accurate with 165grn NBT's.

Gotta get my daughter's rifle ready for her first ever deer hunt.

I've got a new-to-me rifle coming in, a custom build on an Interarms Mark X actions in .338-06 Ackley Improved. Too much rifle for Georgia deer, but that's not what I bought her for. I am gonna hunt some with it this year, if I can get some loads worked up for it. I figured a 200grn Nosler Accubond going at close to 3000fps oughta do it!

Also started getting ready for my annual deer pilgrimage to SE Ohio. For the first time we can use rifles up there, provided it's a straight-walled cartridge (no bottleneck designs......fuckin' Yankees). Again, it's too much gun, but I already have a .444 Marlin that I built years ago, so I'll be using her. Mounting a Burris 1-6x24mm LRS on her.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

season opened this morning at 07.00L here, I won't go this year too much stuffs on the roster. Enjoy !!!
    " IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, USE DUCT TAPE !" said Uncle Bowe

Comment

Sound like it should knock em dead!
      " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
      '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

Oh, it's definite overkill, but better too much than too little!

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

How many yards will that caliber be good for, I don't know anything about them?
          " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
          '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

With handloads and lighter bullets, like 180grns, you can duplicate the .338 Winchester Magnum.

Comment

[quote]
              Gotta get my daughter's rifle ready for her first ever deer hunt.[/b]
              I left her some rounds in the floor of the truck that will be mighty fine....they sure put some DRT on hogs

"Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Got 'em!

Comment

Double check on those clucking yankees!!!
                  I stand with Israel !!!!!!!!!!!
                  "Dogs best friend"
                  "Every dog needs a friend"
                  "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
                  "Good wife, good sons, good dogs, good guns, what more could one ask of life?
                  " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"
                  " Anyone who doesn't like dogs or guns, is a person never to be trusted!"
                  (All the above, Yours Truly
                  The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement

Comment

Bow season opened at Fort campbell yesterday. This coming Saturday for tennessee

Comment

[quote]
                      Oh, it's definite overkill, but better too much than too little![/b]
                      So it's ethical to hunt deer with a .50 cal (M-2)?
                      I stand with Israel !!!!!!!!!!!
                      "Dogs best friend"
                      "Every dog needs a friend"
                      "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
                      "Good wife, good sons, good dogs, good guns, what more could one ask of life?
                      " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"
                      " Anyone who doesn't like dogs or guns, is a person never to be trusted!"
                      (All the above, Yours Truly
                      The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement

Comment

I wouldn't do it, but I don't have a problem with it, if you're able to ensure your backstop.

Comment

i thought the general idea was to be able to eat some of the meat
                          "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

If you shoot the front end, you can eat the back end, and vice versa.

Comment

I have seen a 117 gr 25 cal round tear up half a deer heck of a lot less recoil too
                              "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Working...
                              X