AR upper for Indiana hunting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR upper for Indiana hunting

Ok, been looking at the .458 SOCOM for deer hunting in Indiana. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for this caliber or any other that will smack a whitetail with authority but still fit into a 1.8" COAL, and fit in the AR platform? I've got a few AR's and am thinking that an upper in a similar caliber would be just dandy. I don't want to have to sell my first born or right testicle to afford to shoot it and reloading will be a given. Advise greatly appreciated.
    Eric
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace.... Thomas Paine

We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all....
    Theodore Roosevelt

There's a lot of smart people in the military. We're not as dumb as
    everybody thinks, and we know how to do our job really well. If you're
    going to send us in there for war, then that's what you do. You just
    send us in there and let us do what we need to do. We'll get done and
    we'll get home, and it'll be over.
    Marcus Luttrell US Navy SEAL

I can beat someone to incapacitation with a pillow slip full of dead cats or a homemade battle axe and it?s just as legal so long as the use of force is justified.

I would tend to go the other direction and maybe pick 6.5 Grendel for more distance. Doesn't the SOCOM limit you to under 200 yds and hit like a .45-70
    "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

[quote]
      I would tend to go the other direction and maybe pick 6.5 Grendel for more distance. Doesn't the SOCOM limit you to under 200 yds and hit like a .45-70[/b]
      I don't think the Grendel is an approved cartridge. The SOCOM is ballistically very similar to a .45-70 out to 200-250 yds or so.
      If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace.... Thomas Paine

We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all....
      Theodore Roosevelt

I can beat someone to incapacitation with a pillow slip full of dead cats or a homemade battle axe and it?s just as legal so long as the use of force is justified.

Comment

For Indiana, what criteria does a rifle cartridge have to fit to be "deer legal"? This will help us give you some advice.
        www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

A maximum cartridge case length of 1.8 inches with a minimum bullet diameter of .357 inches.
          Basically it was to allow a pistol round to be shot out of a rifle; the lever action .44's and .357's, for instance.

But with the popularity of the AR pattern rifles and some of the newer rounds being developed for it, such as the .450 Bushmaster, the .458 SOCOM, Beowolf, etc. I was thinking that something along these lines would be just fantastic for Indiana deer hunting. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with any of these "newer" rounds developed for the AR's. I'm not looking for a long range round, I've killed several deer and none have been shot at over 75-80 yds. I can't see much farther than that in the woods, or out my garage window, so 200 yds accurate is aplenty for my needs. I just hate to see my AR's sitting in the safe during gun season.

[attachment=16738:1337471905506.jpg]
          Attached Files

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

All those rounds you listed will work just fine for whitetail. While they could be classified as "overkill", I would rather go too big than too small.

Have you looked at .300Blk? Minimum SAAMI OAL is 1.780".
            www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

I wasn't aware of your restrictions....300 BLK would be good in the 100-200 range...also check 7.62X40WT...little more accuracy with the lighter bullets. But from your description neither of them fit.
              "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Working...
              X